We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Monday, November 29, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Occult > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Occult

17th-century witch trial diary goes online

March 6, 2011 | Comment icon 9 comments

Image Credit: Sabbhat Sabacio Striges
A 350-year-old notebook documenting 17th century witchcraft trials in England has been put online.
The book details cases such as that of Rebecca West who was tortured in to confessing that she slept with the devil, it also recounts events in Chelmsford in 1645 when over one-hundred suspected witches were serving time in prison.
The notebook written by Nehemiah Wallington, an English Puritan, recounts the fate of women accused of having relationships with the devil at a time when England was embroiled in a bitter civil war.

Source: MSNBC | Comments (9)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
24 / 25
We are 96% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #1 Posted by Rolci 11 years ago
Comment icon #2 Posted by ColoradoParanormal 11 years ago
It's a precipice. In my line of work, we are being "readied" for something. Something big. All I can say but, there is a larger picture happening. Not this exactly, this is just historical information being released but, even browsing this sites news articles and other current events, if you look you can see. I can only speak for what I know, and the amount of training and other things me and my team is doing only means one thing.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Ashtarel 11 years ago
Must be those awesome ancient Mayans again. They were so advanced! Western civilization is out of its mind impressed with the culture of the Mayans. But look, we're just as adanced as the Mayans were. What were they famous for? Human sacrifices in great and horrific numbers for the pretend-sake of all the ones who did NOT get sacrificed. And WHO is better at that very thing than today's western civilization? So to the scholars of the TV who weep with desolation that some of the great ancient Maya culture was lost forever when the Spaniards set it on fire--feel better! We're on the right track ... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by Paracelse 11 years ago
Did I miss something? The comments are not about the trials of innocent women?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Evilution13 11 years ago
Yes I bet many of these woman did 'confess freely' to being witches. From a dark inhumane interrogation cell knowing full well the horrors of the prolonged torture that awaited them if they didn't.
Comment icon #6 Posted by schizoidwoman 11 years ago
That looks like a really interesting link, SW; I've only had a skim of it but will read it mmore thoroughly today.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Eldorado 11 years ago
Great wee website, SW, thanks for the link.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Robert1 11 years ago
I think this is facinating. I love old historical documents. I for one would love to read this book.
Comment icon #9 Posted by voidla 11 years ago
"My question is, and it refers to the ufo documents released by numerous countries as well: Why now? Why not 5 years ago, 10 years ago? And even now, why? What are we supposed to do with all this?" I hate stupid questions like these. If it was put on a year ago, you'd ask the same thing. Please work out how days, weeks, months, years go by and then work out what if.