Thursday, August 18, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

Inflating volcano intrigues scientists

October 25, 2011 | Comment icon 22 comments

Image Credit: CC 3.0 Ceky
A 20,000-foot-high volcano in Bolivia appears to be inflating like a balloon at breakneck speed.
Geologists first discovered that Uturuncu was inflating five years ago when an area of land some 43 miles across appeared to be rising up at a rate of around 2cm a year. "It's one of the fastest uplifting volcanic areas on Earth," said volcanologist professor Shan de Silva.
Should anyone ever decide to make a show called "CSI: Geology," a group of scientists studying a mysterious and rapidly inflating South American volcano have got the perfect storyline.

Source: Yahoo! News | Comments (22)

Comment icon #13 Posted by Paracelse 11 years ago
Gosh we need a giant to pop that zit... viewer discretion is advised ...
Comment icon #14 Posted by Missile Punch 11 years ago
I'm no geologist, but I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and suggest that it's gonna blow its top sometime in the not-so-distant future.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Spectre1979 11 years ago
Run far away from that thing! NOW!
Comment icon #16 Posted by Device 11 years ago
I'd say it's ready to blow it's stack. Like me sometimes.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch 11 years ago
Usually I write something but in this case I didn't deem that I should. It was only a link. Thanks for the rant and I didn't mean to pee in your Cornflakes, Gheeesssh, what a grump. Robbie I'm sorry. It wasn't even really a rant. I'm sure you've seen one of my rants...lol I hope you don't feel too offended. Again my apologies.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch 11 years ago
The good news is it is swelling and not building up restrained pressure. With any luck it will find a weak point and just let out magma without any massive and dangerous eruption.
Comment icon #19 Posted by mytee 11 years ago
Hopefully it will just vent like Mt St Helen's did recently
Comment icon #20 Posted by Robbie333 11 years ago
Robbie I'm sorry. It wasn't even really a rant. I'm sure you've seen one of my rants...lol I hope you don't feel too offended. Again my apologies. No problem and I did get your point. I do have a habit of posting links without a small insite. I will attempt to do better. Have a great day.
Comment icon #21 Posted by CmdrNo 11 years ago
Is anyone aware of the Island of Hierro, in the Canary Islands? Mount Teide is an active volcano. According to the USGS http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2011/canaryislands.php - As of 10 October, IGN has recorded more than 9900 events in the area since 19 July. They are continuing to monitor the earthquakes and the volcano, which is currently at "Yellow" alert status. Here is the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teide I went into Google to look at it. Its huge. Wiki: Its 3,718 metres (12,198 ft) summit is the highest point in Spain, the highest point above sea level in... [More]
Comment icon #22 Posted by Swamptick 11 years ago
I love huge exploding volcanoes. Let her blow!

Total Posts: 7,315,235    Topics: 301,005    Members: 198,030