Thursday, August 11, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

Woman drives and texts while asleep

August 15, 2013 | Comment icon 24 comments

Image Credit: sxc.hu
A woman in New Zealand with a rare sleep disorder has been driving long distances while fast alseep.
Sleepwalking is certainly not unheard of but being able to drive hundreds of miles and send text messages while unconscious is something else entirely. Police officials have been trying to ban the woman from driving due to safety fears after her friends notified authorities when she kept turning up at various places in her car fast asleep with no memory of having driven there. The text messages she'd been sending along the way were mostly incoherent.

"We have sought an urgent order forbidding her to drive and to seek medical advice on her suitability to remain holding her driver's licence," said Senior Sergeant Dave Litton. "While her being found safe and well is a relief for everyone involved, the potential for tragedy was huge."
New Zealand police are seeking an order to stop a woman from driving, amid concerns that she had driven hundreds of miles while asleep, even sending text messages along the way.

Source: BBC News | Comments (24)

Comment icon #15 Posted by scots_nomad 9 years ago
I have sleep walked a few times (Well a few times that I know of but probably far more often than that). One night back when I was in my early twenties I was staying at my mates house on the other side of the city (Glasgow in Scotland) - I went to sleep in his spare bedroom and woke up the next morning in my own bed! I looked outside and my car was parked in my driveway! I decided to phone my mate and let him know that I was back home - the call came as a surprise to him because he thought I was still asleep in his spare room. While talking to him I suggested that he checked if anything was mi... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by Razer 9 years ago
She really needs to stay off the sleep medication.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Junior Chubb 9 years ago
I think I was on the motorway behind her this evening...
Comment icon #18 Posted by pallidin 9 years ago
Sorry, but I have a hard time believing the totality of this story. What's next, a "sleep driving" airline pilot?
Comment icon #19 Posted by Hawkin 9 years ago
Maybe she was abducted by little grey men and had one of those lost time experiences. LOL
Comment icon #20 Posted by Eldorado 9 years ago
Would love to see some of the texts she sends. I'm hoping they all consist of her merely typing 'zzzzzzzzzz' to everyone on her contact list.
Comment icon #21 Posted by dibatag 9 years ago
This one is hard to be;eive
Comment icon #22 Posted by bassai26 9 years ago
about that sleeping disorder,do you remember the tv show "fact or fiction" they have this episode something like that.well i thought maybe she will end up like that...i hope not...
Comment icon #23 Posted by EtherialNight 9 years ago
It's true, this story, she lives in my city.. it was all over the news, and she has done this before. There is a link to a type of sleep medication, that others who have taken it have also driven while asleep. Totally bizarre.
Comment icon #24 Posted by -M7 9 years ago
I've heard of people texting or falling asleep at the wheel but never BOTH AT THE SAME TIME! WTF IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!?!

Total Posts: 7,311,598    Topics: 300,824    Members: 197,978