Friday, August 19, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Spirituality > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Spirituality

Vatican training new generation of exorcists

January 7, 2014 | Comment icon 24 comments

Reports of demonic possession are on the rise. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A rise in demand for exorcists has prompted the Catholic Church to ramp up its training efforts.
The Church has attributed the increase in exorcism cases to the rise in the use of Ouija boards, black magic and other occult practices and hopes that by training more priests it will not only help to curb this trend but also to reduce the number of individuals performing unauthorized exorcisms.
"Diabolical possessions are on the increase as a result of people subscribing to occultism," said Fr Francesco Bamonte of the International Association for Exorcists. "The few exorcists that we have in the dioceses are often not able to handle the enormous number of requests for help."

Despite the rise in claims however, only a select few are deemed to be genuine cases of possession. "In the cases where a mental illness is apparent, we try to send them to a doctor," said Fr Vincenzio Taraborelli who emphasized that it was "very rare" for an actual exorcism to be needed.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (24)

Comment icon #15 Posted by qxcontinuum 9 years ago
If they won't train them like Van Helsing is not cool enought!
Comment icon #16 Posted by AliveInDeath7 9 years ago
Just because there is no proof of possession and demons, does not mean this is rubbish. I wish I had had a video camera the one night I experienced a possession myself. I'm glad I didn't, it had me terrified. Besides, everyone would cough it up to acting, cgi, etc. I know what I saw and I will never try to prove it; I have no need to and frankly, people are lucky they don't see such things.
Comment icon #17 Posted by XenoFish 9 years ago
You know I wish I had such a magical life. I've spent 21 years practicing chaos magick. I've had only a handful of WTF moments that defy any possible explanation. I've never came across anyone possessed, an energy worker that could actually do stuff that wasn't a placebo effect, and a magician who could actually curse me. I guess I'm to rational for some of the real bizarre stuff. The only really profound experience I every had came in a three day stretch back when I was 16. I'd had one too many caffeine pills and could tell people what they were thinking and moved a folding chair a few feet w... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by DieChecker 9 years ago
As a Protestant Christian, it is the general belief that every Christian can be an exercist, or at least can drive out demons. I suppose these guys are more like Exercist Commandos with their special training. With Europe actually becoming Post-Christian secularists, it is interesting that the demand is increasing.Perhaps most of the exercists go to the Developing World? South America probably would be fertile ground, as would be the East African nations that have lots of missionary work and are converting to Christianity in the millions.
Comment icon #19 Posted by HollyDolly 9 years ago
There has to be some reason for Pope Francis to do this.He strikes me as a pretty level headed guy.As a Catholic I do believe the devil is real and he does have his minons possess people but it is rare. True demonic possosseion doesn't happen every day but it can and does occur. All religions have stories of demons and evil spirits and each may have their own way to give people relief.The fact that other faiths such as muslims etc. have bad spirits etc. tells me there is something to it whether we in the West believe it or not.. Alot of people think this stuff is so great but have no idea what... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by moonshadow60 9 years ago
It amazes me the people who believe in demons and yet not in angels. If you have darkness, there must be light, and vice versa, I would think.
Comment icon #21 Posted by AsylumSpirit 9 years ago
Didn't a mother just kill two children in an attempt to preform an exorcism?
Comment icon #22 Posted by Black Magic 9 years ago
whatchu gonna do?
Comment icon #23 Posted by No-thingBornPassion 9 years ago
All I can say is this: There is more to earthly life than meets the eye. Skeptics? Well, some may even say that you haven't done anything to get those dark entities riled up and put you on their radar. After all, "The biggest lie that the Devil is selling the world is that he doesn't exist," so we've been told. Just a thought.
Comment icon #24 Posted by ambelamba 9 years ago
I was once went to a retreat led by a priest who is an exorcist ordained by Vatican. His lecture had nothing to do with exorcism. But he is a part of Charismatic Renewal movement. After his sermon, my last remaining hope for Catholic church was utterly obliterated.

Total Posts: 7,315,249    Topics: 301,005    Members: 198,031