Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Vatican training new generation of exorcists

Posted on Tuesday, 7 January, 2014 | Comment icon 24 comments

Reports of demonic possession are on the rise. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A rise in demand for exorcists has prompted the Catholic Church to ramp up its training efforts.
The Church has attributed the increase in exorcism cases to the rise in the use of Ouija boards, black magic and other occult practices and hopes that by training more priests it will not only help to curb this trend but also to reduce the number of individuals performing unauthorized exorcisms.

"Diabolical possessions are on the increase as a result of people subscribing to occultism," said Fr Francesco Bamonte of the International Association for Exorcists. "The few exorcists that we have in the dioceses are often not able to handle the enormous number of requests for help."

Despite the rise in claims however, only a select few are deemed to be genuine cases of possession. "In the cases where a mental illness is apparent, we try to send them to a doctor," said Fr Vincenzio Taraborelli who emphasized that it was "very rare" for an actual exorcism to be needed.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (24)

Tags: Exorcist

Comment icon #15 Posted by qxcontinuum on 8 January, 2014, 1:46
If they won't train them like Van Helsing is not cool enought!
Comment icon #16 Posted by AliveInDeath7 on 8 January, 2014, 1:57
Just because there is no proof of possession and demons, does not mean this is rubbish. I wish I had had a video camera the one night I experienced a possession myself. I'm glad I didn't, it had me terrified. Besides, everyone would cough it up to acting, cgi, etc. I know what I saw and I will never try to prove it; I have no need to and frankly, people are lucky they don't see such things.
Comment icon #17 Posted by XenoFish on 8 January, 2014, 2:17
You know I wish I had such a magical life. I've spent 21 years practicing chaos magick. I've had only a handful of WTF moments that defy any possible explanation. I've never came across anyone possessed, an energy worker that could actually do stuff that wasn't a placebo effect, and a magician who could actually curse me. I guess I'm to rational for some of the real bizarre stuff. The only really profound experience I every had came in a three day stretch back when I was 16. I'd had one too many caffeine pills and could tell people what they were thinking and moved a folding chair a few feet w... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by DieChecker on 8 January, 2014, 3:46
As a Protestant Christian, it is the general belief that every Christian can be an exercist, or at least can drive out demons. I suppose these guys are more like Exercist Commandos with their special training. With Europe actually becoming Post-Christian secularists, it is interesting that the demand is increasing.Perhaps most of the exercists go to the Developing World? South America probably would be fertile ground, as would be the East African nations that have lots of missionary work and are converting to Christianity in the millions.
Comment icon #19 Posted by HollyDolly on 9 January, 2014, 17:17
There has to be some reason for Pope Francis to do this.He strikes me as a pretty level headed guy.As a Catholic I do believe the devil is real and he does have his minons possess people but it is rare. True demonic possosseion doesn't happen every day but it can and does occur. All religions have stories of demons and evil spirits and each may have their own way to give people relief.The fact that other faiths such as muslims etc. have bad spirits etc. tells me there is something to it whether we in the West believe it or not.. Alot of people think this stuff is so great but have no idea what... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by moonshadow60 on 9 January, 2014, 22:16
It amazes me the people who believe in demons and yet not in angels. If you have darkness, there must be light, and vice versa, I would think.
Comment icon #21 Posted by AsylumSpirit on 20 January, 2014, 4:24
Didn't a mother just kill two children in an attempt to preform an exorcism?
Comment icon #22 Posted by Black Magic on 16 February, 2014, 5:00
whatchu gonna do?
Comment icon #23 Posted by No-thingBornPassion on 17 February, 2014, 10:27
All I can say is this: There is more to earthly life than meets the eye. Skeptics? Well, some may even say that you haven't done anything to get those dark entities riled up and put you on their radar. After all, "The biggest lie that the Devil is selling the world is that he doesn't exist," so we've been told. Just a thought.
Comment icon #24 Posted by ambelamba on 18 February, 2014, 22:39
I was once went to a retreat led by a priest who is an exorcist ordained by Vatican. His lecture had nothing to do with exorcism. But he is a part of Charismatic Renewal movement. After his sermon, my last remaining hope for Catholic church was utterly obliterated.

Robot news anchor raises eyebrows in Russia
4-22-2019
A human-like robot known as 'Alex' has recently been deployed as an anchor on a Russian news channel.
Ranger takes selfie with 'human-like' gorillas
4-22-2019
A striking photograph taken by an anti-poaching ranger has been described as 'just another day in the office.'
SpaceX crew capsule test suffers 'anomaly'
4-21-2019
An engine test of the Crew Dragon capsule resulted in plumes of smoke rising from Cape Canaveral yesterday.
Egg hunt held at Winchester Mystery House
4-21-2019
One of America's most mysterious buildings has played host to the 'world's most bizarre Easter egg hunt.'
Cannon made from 50,000 matches
Posted 4-7-2019 | 4 comments
What happens if you light a cannon made out of 50,000 matches ?

Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Giant bird shadows