Thursday, July 2, 2020
  Bizarre

Woman suffers from fear of all things yellow

Posted on Saturday, 4 April, 2015 | Comment icon 25 comments

Some terrifying yellow objects. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 cyclonebill
Lorraine Cobourn developed the curious phobia after being hit by a yellow taxi and breaking her hip.
It is not uncommon for someone to be scared of things like heights or spiders, but for one 51-year-old from Oakwood in the UK it is the color yellow that instills the greatest sensations of fear.

Lorraine's unusual phobia began shortly after she suffered a broken hip in an accident involving a yellow taxi. From that point on it was like a switch had been turned on inside her head and even the mere sight of an object exhibiting the nefarious color became something to be feared and avoided.

"It sounds crazy I know, but I canít even touch bananas unless theyíre wrapped in cellophane Ė and I only ever buy green ones," she said. "I canít look at yellow number plates either."

Lorraine has no idea how the accident kickstarted her bizarre phobia but she has since been trying to cure her fear by placing yellow objects such as flowers inside her home.

"This case is a terrible example of the life-changing consequences that road traffic collisions can have on those involved," said her lawyer, Ian Whittaker.

Source: Inquisitr.com | Comments (25)

Tags: Phobia, Yellow

Comment icon #16 Posted by Foil Hat Ninja on 4 April, 2015, 21:48
Still not as funny as anatidaephobia.
Comment icon #17 Posted by highdesert50 on 5 April, 2015, 12:02
Patients experiencing chronic pain can exhibit the classic one-trial learning process associated with the originating trauma. The power of color association is indeed powerful when one considers the many people who experience fear associated with "white coats" in medical settings.
Comment icon #18 Posted by tcgram on 6 April, 2015, 12:58
It sounds like she needs to get some counseling to help her get over this fear.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Sundew on 6 April, 2015, 14:41
Green Lantern syndrome. "In brightest day, in blackest night, remove that lemon, from my sight!"
Comment icon #20 Posted by MissMelsWell on 7 April, 2015, 5:20
I've oddly known two people who had paralyzing fear of all white food. Yogurt, popcorn, cauliflower, potatoes, milk, anything white. It's not like it was an eating disorder or they were watching their weight by avoiding white food (ya, some people do that as a diet) They were genuinely terrified that white food was going to kill them. Just weird.
Comment icon #21 Posted by AstralHorus on 7 April, 2015, 20:33
"I also gasp or sigh if I see a yellow taxi when I am out. Iím terrified of them, and if I saw a yellow taxi on the street I would feel this urge just to drive into it." what a sociopath.....
Comment icon #22 Posted by UFO_Monster on 8 April, 2015, 1:09
Yellow is one of the most common colors, too. Poor lady.
Comment icon #23 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 8 April, 2015, 5:40
"I also gasp or sigh if I see a yellow taxi when I am out. I'm terrified of them, and if I saw a yellow taxi on the street I would feel this urge just to drive into it." what a sociopath..... that is not what sociopath means.
Comment icon #24 Posted by travelnjones on 10 April, 2015, 21:58
I remember seeing a movie able a policeman that couldn't see the color red.
Comment icon #25 Posted by AstralHorus on 11 April, 2015, 16:37
that is not what sociopath means. I correct my self, Psychopath.

World UFO Day 2020: the phenomenon lives on
7-2-2020
The annual event celebrates all things UFO related and reminds enthusiasts worldwide to 'watch the skies'.
Old film from 1947 predicted 'mobile phones'
7-2-2020
A French film released in 1947 predicted several modern technologies with a remarkable level of accuracy.
Video shows the Sun over a period of ten years
7-1-2020
The hour-long NASA video was pieced together from an incredible 425 million high-resolution images of the Sun.
Exorcist visits Icelandic farm near 'elf hill'
7-1-2020
The exorcism was performed following a lengthy spate of unexplained phenomena in and around the property.

Grim reaper-like visitation