Wednesday, June 29, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

Woman suffers from fear of all things yellow

April 4, 2015 | Comment icon 25 comments

Some terrifying yellow objects. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 cyclonebill
Lorraine Cobourn developed the curious phobia after being hit by a yellow taxi and breaking her hip.
It is not uncommon for someone to be scared of things like heights or spiders, but for one 51-year-old from Oakwood in the UK it is the color yellow that instills the greatest sensations of fear.

Lorraine's unusual phobia began shortly after she suffered a broken hip in an accident involving a yellow taxi. From that point on it was like a switch had been turned on inside her head and even the mere sight of an object exhibiting the nefarious color became something to be feared and avoided.

"It sounds crazy I know, but I canít even touch bananas unless theyíre wrapped in cellophane Ė and I only ever buy green ones," she said. "I canít look at yellow number plates either."

Lorraine has no idea how the accident kickstarted her bizarre phobia but she has since been trying to cure her fear by placing yellow objects such as flowers inside her home.

"This case is a terrible example of the life-changing consequences that road traffic collisions can have on those involved," said her lawyer, Ian Whittaker.

Source: Inquisitr.com | Comments (25)

Comment icon #16 Posted by Foil Hat Ninja 7 years ago
Still not as funny as anatidaephobia.
Comment icon #17 Posted by highdesert50 7 years ago
Patients experiencing chronic pain can exhibit the classic one-trial learning process associated with the originating trauma. The power of color association is indeed powerful when one considers the many people who experience fear associated with "white coats" in medical settings.
Comment icon #18 Posted by tcgram 7 years ago
It sounds like she needs to get some counseling to help her get over this fear.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Sundew 7 years ago
Green Lantern syndrome. "In brightest day, in blackest night, remove that lemon, from my sight!"
Comment icon #20 Posted by MissMelsWell 7 years ago
I've oddly known two people who had paralyzing fear of all white food. Yogurt, popcorn, cauliflower, potatoes, milk, anything white. It's not like it was an eating disorder or they were watching their weight by avoiding white food (ya, some people do that as a diet) They were genuinely terrified that white food was going to kill them. Just weird.
Comment icon #21 Posted by AstralHorus 7 years ago
"I also gasp or sigh if I see a yellow taxi when I am out. Iím terrified of them, and if I saw a yellow taxi on the street I would feel this urge just to drive into it." what a sociopath.....
Comment icon #22 Posted by UFO_Monster 7 years ago
Yellow is one of the most common colors, too. Poor lady.
Comment icon #23 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake 7 years ago
"I also gasp or sigh if I see a yellow taxi when I am out. I'm terrified of them, and if I saw a yellow taxi on the street I would feel this urge just to drive into it." what a sociopath..... that is not what sociopath means.
Comment icon #24 Posted by travelnjones 7 years ago
I remember seeing a movie able a policeman that couldn't see the color red.
Comment icon #25 Posted by AstralHorus 7 years ago
that is not what sociopath means. I correct my self, Psychopath.

Total Posts: 7,285,840    Topics: 299,730    Members: 197,539