Sunday, August 9, 2020

Scientists make hydrogen fuel from corn

Posted on Tuesday, 7 April, 2015 | Comment icon 16 comments

Will we soon be driving cars that run off hydrogen fuel cells ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
The breakthrough method could pave the way for environmentally friendly hydrogen-powered vehicles.
A team of scientists at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute has developed a way to turn abundantly available corn husks, stalks and cobs in to hydrogen fuel which has up until now required a costly and complex manufacturing process to produce.

The achievement could open the door to the widespread use of hydrogen-powered cars, a move with the potential to significantly reduce carbon emissions in cities all over the world.
Additional funding has already been awarded to the team so that they can scale up production.

"We believe this exciting technology has the potential to enable the widespread use of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles around the world and displace fossil fuels," said lead author Joe Rollin.

The findings were published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on Monday.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (16)

Tags: Hydrogen, Cars, Fuel

Comment icon #7 Posted by StarMountainKid on 7 April, 2015, 15:55
Comment icon #8 Posted by She-ra on 7 April, 2015, 15:59
Break thru my ars, we been doin this fer years! We call it White Lightening, Mountain Dew, or just plain ole Shine. It does have some unwanted emissions called Poots and Toots, but we blame it on demed ole Tennessee barking spiders! I just burst out laughing. Had a taste of that once...I think it cleared out any sot of bacteria I might have had in my system. Just a few sips and I was 2-sheets to the wind. That's some strong stuff my friend. The kind I had was flavored with some apples if I remember correctly. I have a friend who lives in lower Virginia and was visiting so it was real down home... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 7 April, 2015, 17:03
The ethanol crap that's added to gasolene here in the U.S. I believe is made mainly from corn. The problem of all these corn products is, it means there's less eatable corn produced, and the corn that is produced for eating is more expensive. Ethanol production for use in gasolene is just a big scam. The producers receive large tax breaks and make lots of profit from the gooey stuff that's called gasolene these days.. I'm lucky that nearby there's a gas station that sells only non-ethanol gas. What using more corn will allow the farms to expand and hirer people that are physically able to do f... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by qxcontinuum on 8 April, 2015, 2:26
and kingpins of petroleum and they lobbyists lovers don't want to hear about it!
Comment icon #11 Posted by Calibeliever on 8 April, 2015, 14:53
Tying our energy dependence to our food source just feels like a problem waiting to happen.
Comment icon #12 Posted by maximusnow on 8 April, 2015, 15:37
I just burst out laughing. Had a taste of that once...I think it cleared out any sot of bacteria I might have had in my system. Just a few sips and I was 2-sheets to the wind. That's some strong stuff my friend. The kind I had was flavored with some apples if I remember correctly. I have a friend who lives in lower Virginia and was visiting so it was real down home legit stuff...like recipes and ways to make it passed down thru the family and all that. Too funny! That is called Apple pie, with a slice of green sour apple and a cinnamon stick, my favorite. If you want to experience a good taste... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by She-ra on 8 April, 2015, 15:46
That is called Apple pie, with a slice of green sour apple and a cinnamon stick, my favorite. If you want to experience a good taste of real moonshine, Midnight Moon apple pie moon shine is similar to the mountain wild brews. It is sold in most liquor stores. www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com That's EXACTLY what it was with a cinnamon stick and everything! It was good stuff and had a way of sneaking up on you that I never knew was possible. I'm not a big drinker anyways...never have been...man, that was a crazy weekend But yes, that's what it was
Comment icon #14 Posted by Twin on 10 April, 2015, 11:40
This is not a story about ethanol from corn, it is a story about hydrogen from corn. Emissions from hydrogen = water. Emissions from ethanol are much more complex but less toxic than from gasoline. CO2 from ethanol is also found in your exhaled breath. I am not a chemist so I can not speak to all the negatives of burning ethanol, but burning hydrogen is harmless.
Comment icon #15 Posted by lightly on 10 April, 2015, 12:20
..sounds expensive. We need to get serious about solar power.. and other inexhaustible forms of energy. We also need to get serious about the other side of energy , consumption and energy efficiency of our devices.
Comment icon #16 Posted by Calibeliever on 10 April, 2015, 14:05
CO2 from ethanol is also found in your exhaled breath. Some of us more than others

Woman digs 35ft tunnel to rescue son from jail
8-8-2020
A mother in Ukraine attempted to break her son out of jail by single-handedly digging an escape tunnel.
Prehistoric 'hell ant' found trapped in amber
8-8-2020
An ancient species of ant has been found frozen in time while right in the middle of devouring another insect.
'Knife-wielding baboons' seen at safari park
8-7-2020
Baboons at Knowsley Safari Park in Merseyside have reportedly taken to wielding knives and sharp tools.
What will happen at the end of the universe ?
8-7-2020
The Big Bang may have brought the universe into existence, but will a similar event bring about its demise?
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball