World of the Bizarre
Girl struck by lightning while opening fridge
By T.K. Randall
June 5, 2015 · 21 comments
The lightning struck without warning. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Blyskawica
High school student Macie Martinez was struck by a bolt of lightning while standing inside her kitchen.
The teenager and her parents, who live near Lake Travis in the US state of Texas, had just emerged from their pantry after sheltering there following a local tornado warning.
According to reports, Macie had opened the fridge door to fetch some food when she was suddenly struck by a powerful bolt of lightning that left her screaming in agony.
"I remember when I was holding on it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced in my whole life," she said. "Then, afterwards, I couldn't feel my legs, and I couldn't walk and I was just shaking."
After pulling her clear of the fridge her parents rushed her to the nearest hospital.
Doctors revealed that she had sustained a wound on her back where the electricity had left her body as well as burns on her arms. It was remarkable that she hadn't been killed.
According to a neighbor the lightning had come up from underneath the house and went out through the roof. All the major kitchen appliances were fried and there were scorch marks everywhere.
"I feel very lucky. Lucky to be sitting here doing this interview today," said Macie.
"Normally, I'd go outside in the rain, but now it's like oh my gosh, there may be a storm I need to stay inside. I need to be safe. Stay in bed. It's a change."
Her parents have since installed lightning rods and a surge protector in the house in an effort to prevent anything similar from ever happening again.
Source: My Fox Austin
| Comments (21)