Tuesday, July 16, 2019

'Giant crab' photographed by Mars rover

Posted on Wednesday, 5 August, 2015 | Comment icon 175 comments

The 'crab' is almost certainly little more than a random rock feature. Image Credit: NASA
A new image of a rocky outcrop on the surface of Mars shows what looks like a large crab-like creature.
We've seen a lot of strange and unusual items on the surface of Mars over the years including everything from a set of traffic lights to a perfect reproduction of President Barack Obama's head.

The explanation behind these peculiar sightings is a phenomenon known as pareidolia - the tendency for the human brain to see meaningful shapes in otherwise abstract patterns.

The most recent example is a photograph taken by the Curiosity rover of a rocky outcrop on the surface of Mars which appears to show a peculiar multi-legged creature hiding in a crevice.

As far as anomalies go this one is at least quite convincing and actually does look like a big crab.

Seth Shostak, the man in charge of SETI ( the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence ), is quite frequently bombarded with images like this one from eagle-eyed anomaly hunters.

"It's usually some sort of animal, but occasionally even weirder objects such as automobile parts," he said in an e-mail. "Maybe they think there are cars on Mars."

"Recognizing a crab in a landscape filled with wind-weathered rocks is no more surprising - nor more significant - than seeing a winking face in a semi-colon followed by a parenthesis. ;)"

Source: Huffington Post | Comments (175)

Tags: Mars, Pareidolia

Comment icon #166 Posted by psyche101 on 17 August, 2015, 6:55
There's also, as I remarked, that really it's only scientists that would get that excited about microbes, and the only possible reason anyone might fear the discivery of extraterrestrial life would be if there was solid proof of a technological civilisation far in advance of us. I do not think even too many would panic about that - many people seem to think aliens are here to save us from ourselves and see them as some great hope. I hope we get invaded by the Boov. If we just find that life arose on earth more than once, it will in most academics eyes increase the possibility of other life in ... [More]
Comment icon #167 Posted by DONTEATUS on 17 August, 2015, 13:10
Comment icon #168 Posted by Merc14 on 17 August, 2015, 14:11
Can you just Imangine whats its really going to Be Like when we Land people on Mars ? It will be Amazing ! Cant wait ! Then we can talk about Life on other Planets !US ! Kind of off subject but the family and I spent the day at the Kennedy Space Center yesterday and all I can say is it was an absolutely amazing day. Truly awe inspiring and believe me, going to Mars is a priority for all the folks that work there from what we could tell. It's a vibe you get all over the center and SLS is going to be a truly remarkable machine. If you have youngsters it is an especially inspiring trip as the ent... [More]
Comment icon #169 Posted by badeskov on 17 August, 2015, 20:26
Kind of off subject but the family and I spent the day at the Kennedy Space Center yesterday and all I can say is it was an absolutely amazing day. Truly awe inspiring and believe me, going to Mars is a priority for all the folks that work there from what we could tell. It's a vibe you get all over the center and SLS is going to be a truly remarkable machine. If you have youngsters it is an especially inspiring trip as the entire place is designed to motivate kids to take the reins, become scientists and do the next great thing. Have only been there once, in 1998 when I was in Orlando for a co... [More]
Comment icon #170 Posted by Merc14 on 17 August, 2015, 20:35
Have only been there once, in 1998 when I was in Orlando for a conference to give a talk. It is indeed awe inspiring. Truly amazing. Cheers, Badeskov Was the Saturn 5 up on stands at that time in its own building?
Comment icon #171 Posted by badeskov on 17 August, 2015, 20:47
Was the Saturn 5 up on stands at that time in its own building? Yes, it was. If you are thinking of it lying down. Amazing piece of technology. I think I have some pictures I took back then, I'll see if I can find them. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #172 Posted by Merc14 on 18 August, 2015, 1:05
Yes, it was. If you are thinking of it lying down. Amazing piece of technology. I think I have some pictures I took back then, I'll see if I can find them. Cheers, Badeskov Down here on business as well and a long time resident remembers when it was just lying on the ground. Now, of course, it is housed in its own massive facility up on posts so you can walk its length underneath it with all kinds of display on the side including a stage show with Apollo 11 landing on the Moon. I really can't even imagine it taking off, it is so huge but of course it did many times. SLS will be even bigger whn... [More]
Comment icon #173 Posted by Ellapennella on 14 December, 2015, 13:04
How can that be possible? lol
Comment icon #174 Posted by Ellapennella on 14 December, 2015, 13:25
and it's definitely not Utah, right? I've seen those rocks before . ETA - Just joking about Utah...picture is incredible !
Comment icon #175 Posted by Ellapennella on 14 December, 2015, 14:24
If you zoom in on the crab you can actually see the face Jesus. Crazy. but, we don't know what Jesus looks like.

UFO expert warns against trying to contact ET
7-15-2019
Former CIA operative Darrel Sims maintains that attempting to contact intelligent aliens is a very bad idea.
Scientists find a way to make Mars farmable
7-15-2019
Growing crops on the Red Planet would undoubtedly go a long way towards building a sustainable human colony.
US military warns against 'Storm Area 51' stunt
7-15-2019
1 million social media users who have pledged to storm the secretive base have been warned against doing so.
Vatican mystery: bones found in hunt for girl
7-14-2019
Two sets of bones have been discovered by authorities searching for missing girl Emanuela Orlandi in Rome.

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx