Monday, September 23, 2019

Google built prototype Star Trek communicator

Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 | Comment icon 10 comments

Star Trek communicator badges almost became a reality. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Loupeznik
The search giant once attempted to develop a real-life version of the Star Trek communicator badge.
The iconic device, which was frequently worn by the crew in Star Trek: The Next Generation, enabled Picard and his bridge officers to easily talk to one another wherever they might be.

While today the availability of modern smartphones has rendered this concept mostly obsolete, Google has revealed that it once tried to create a wireless communications device that could be worn on a person's clothes and tapped, just like in Star Trek, to turn its microphone on and off.

The circular device was connected to a mobile phone via Bluetooth and was developed for the purpose of experimenting with new ways of asking Google's voice search to look something up.

"I always wanted that pin," said Google's senior vice president Amit Singhal. "You just ask it anything and it works. Thatís why we were like, ĎLetís go prototype that and see how it feels.í"

Unfortunately however the idea never managed to make it past the testing phase.

Source: TIME Magazine | Comments (10)

Tags: Google, Star Trek

Comment icon #1 Posted by GreenmansGod on 24 November, 2015, 14:47
I wonder if it comes with the uniform.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Child of Bast on 24 November, 2015, 14:55
BFD Google
Comment icon #3 Posted by Kenemet on 24 November, 2015, 17:25
I want one!!!!
Comment icon #4 Posted by seeder on 24 November, 2015, 19:08
Not to be used in public toilets...ever....true story now I was traveling back to my hometown and, responding to Mother Nature, decided to stop at one of those rest areas on the side of the road.I went into the washroom. The first stall was taken, so I went into the second stall. I had just sat down when I heard a voice from the other stall. "Hi there, how is it going?" I am not the type to strike up conversations with strangers while sitting on the john in restrooms on the side of the road. I didn't know what to do, but finally I said, "Not bad." Then the voice said, "So, what are you doing?"... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by highdesert50 on 25 November, 2015, 16:50
Seems Apple was able to comfortably link a remote watch with a phone and reap a profit. Wonder if a crowdfunded endeavor by trekkies could see this stellar pin project through. Ask Siri-us.
Comment icon #6 Posted by BeastieRunner on 25 November, 2015, 19:31
Seems like it could be viable now.
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 25 November, 2015, 21:21
I'm old enough to remember the time before cell phones and now I have a smartphone. I find that amazing enough in itself.
Comment icon #8 Posted by coolguy on 26 November, 2015, 1:03
I wonder if they made any video of this I would like to see it sounds cool
Comment icon #9 Posted by qxcontinuum on 2 December, 2015, 4:19
so they made another cellphone ?
Comment icon #10 Posted by ROGER on 14 December, 2015, 17:20
I have seen these in use . Very efficient . http://www.nortekcontrol.com/product_detail.php?productId=1505

6551971
181930

Mystery surrounds orange wristband deaths
9-22-2019
Authorities in Pittsburgh are investigating a series of incidents involving people wearing orange wristbands.
'Wearable chair' lets you sit down anywhere
9-22-2019
Known as LEX, this bizarre new wearable invention has been described as 'an extension of your body.'
Attenborough: 'of course Nessie is a hoax'
9-22-2019
The legendary naturalist recently made his feelings about the famous monster very clear in a handwritten note.
Only a few dozen show up to 'Storm Area 51'
9-21-2019
After months of hype, barely anyone actually turned up to storm through the gates of the secretive facility.
Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ

Orb of light woke me up
9-17-2019 | Virginia

A poltergeist eye witness
9-1-2019 | Iran, Kermanshah

A visit from beyond
8-20-2019 | Australia

A strange voice
8-5-2019 | St. Catharines Ontario.

House vibrates