Friday, April 19, 2019

Google built prototype Star Trek communicator

Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 | Comment icon 10 comments

Star Trek communicator badges almost became a reality. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Loupeznik
The search giant once attempted to develop a real-life version of the Star Trek communicator badge.
The iconic device, which was frequently worn by the crew in Star Trek: The Next Generation, enabled Picard and his bridge officers to easily talk to one another wherever they might be.

While today the availability of modern smartphones has rendered this concept mostly obsolete, Google has revealed that it once tried to create a wireless communications device that could be worn on a person's clothes and tapped, just like in Star Trek, to turn its microphone on and off.

The circular device was connected to a mobile phone via Bluetooth and was developed for the purpose of experimenting with new ways of asking Google's voice search to look something up.

"I always wanted that pin," said Google's senior vice president Amit Singhal. "You just ask it anything and it works. Thatís why we were like, ĎLetís go prototype that and see how it feels.í"

Unfortunately however the idea never managed to make it past the testing phase.

Source: TIME Magazine | Comments (10)

Tags: Google, Star Trek

Comment icon #1 Posted by GreenmansGod on 24 November, 2015, 14:47
I wonder if it comes with the uniform.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Child of Bast on 24 November, 2015, 14:55
BFD Google
Comment icon #3 Posted by Kenemet on 24 November, 2015, 17:25
I want one!!!!
Comment icon #4 Posted by seeder on 24 November, 2015, 19:08
Not to be used in public toilets...ever....true story now I was traveling back to my hometown and, responding to Mother Nature, decided to stop at one of those rest areas on the side of the road.I went into the washroom. The first stall was taken, so I went into the second stall. I had just sat down when I heard a voice from the other stall. "Hi there, how is it going?" I am not the type to strike up conversations with strangers while sitting on the john in restrooms on the side of the road. I didn't know what to do, but finally I said, "Not bad." Then the voice said, "So, what are you doing?"... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by highdesert50 on 25 November, 2015, 16:50
Seems Apple was able to comfortably link a remote watch with a phone and reap a profit. Wonder if a crowdfunded endeavor by trekkies could see this stellar pin project through. Ask Siri-us.
Comment icon #6 Posted by BeastieRunner on 25 November, 2015, 19:31
Seems like it could be viable now.
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 25 November, 2015, 21:21
I'm old enough to remember the time before cell phones and now I have a smartphone. I find that amazing enough in itself.
Comment icon #8 Posted by coolguy on 26 November, 2015, 1:03
I wonder if they made any video of this I would like to see it sounds cool
Comment icon #9 Posted by qxcontinuum on 2 December, 2015, 4:19
so they made another cellphone ?
Comment icon #10 Posted by ROGER on 14 December, 2015, 17:20
I have seen these in use . Very efficient . http://www.nortekcontrol.com/product_detail.php?productId=1505

Aleister Crowley's Loch Ness home up for sale
4-19-2019
The eerie building, which was gutted by a fire in 2015, was once owned by the infamous writer and occultist.
Florida firm offers alien abduction insurance
4-19-2019
The tongue-in-cheek policy is designed to ensure peace of mind for those concerned about being 'taken'.
What are great white sharks frightened of ?
4-18-2019
Despite their fearsome reputation, these monster sharks will always try to steer clear of one particular creature.
Scientists revive pig brains hours after death
4-18-2019
A recent experiment has called in to question our understanding of when a person's brain has truly 'died'.
Cannon made from 50,000 matches
Posted 4-7-2019 | 4 comments
What happens if you light a cannon made out of 50,000 matches ?

Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Winter solstice hooded figures