Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Google built prototype Star Trek communicator

Posted on Tuesday, 24 November, 2015 | Comment icon 10 comments

Star Trek communicator badges almost became a reality. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Loupeznik
The search giant once attempted to develop a real-life version of the Star Trek communicator badge.
The iconic device, which was frequently worn by the crew in Star Trek: The Next Generation, enabled Picard and his bridge officers to easily talk to one another wherever they might be.

While today the availability of modern smartphones has rendered this concept mostly obsolete, Google has revealed that it once tried to create a wireless communications device that could be worn on a person's clothes and tapped, just like in Star Trek, to turn its microphone on and off.
The circular device was connected to a mobile phone via Bluetooth and was developed for the purpose of experimenting with new ways of asking Google's voice search to look something up.

"I always wanted that pin," said Google's senior vice president Amit Singhal. "You just ask it anything and it works. Thatís why we were like, ĎLetís go prototype that and see how it feels.í"

Unfortunately however the idea never managed to make it past the testing phase.

Source: TIME Magazine | Comments (10)

Tags: Google, Star Trek

Comment icon #1 Posted by GreenmansGod on 24 November, 2015, 14:47
I wonder if it comes with the uniform.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Child of Bast on 24 November, 2015, 14:55
BFD Google
Comment icon #3 Posted by Kenemet on 24 November, 2015, 17:25
I want one!!!!
Comment icon #4 Posted by seeder on 24 November, 2015, 19:08
Not to be used in public toilets...ever....true story now I was traveling back to my hometown and, responding to Mother Nature, decided to stop at one of those rest areas on the side of the road.I went into the washroom. The first stall was taken, so I went into the second stall. I had just sat down when I heard a voice from the other stall. "Hi there, how is it going?" I am not the type to strike up conversations with strangers while sitting on the john in restrooms on the side of the road. I didn't know what to do, but finally I said, "Not bad." Then the voice said, "So, what are you doing?"... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by highdesert50 on 25 November, 2015, 16:50
Seems Apple was able to comfortably link a remote watch with a phone and reap a profit. Wonder if a crowdfunded endeavor by trekkies could see this stellar pin project through. Ask Siri-us.
Comment icon #6 Posted by BeastieRunner on 25 November, 2015, 19:31
Seems like it could be viable now.
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 25 November, 2015, 21:21
I'm old enough to remember the time before cell phones and now I have a smartphone. I find that amazing enough in itself.
Comment icon #8 Posted by coolguy on 26 November, 2015, 1:03
I wonder if they made any video of this I would like to see it sounds cool
Comment icon #9 Posted by qxcontinuum on 2 December, 2015, 4:19
so they made another cellphone ?
Comment icon #10 Posted by ROGER on 14 December, 2015, 17:20
I have seen these in use . Very efficient . http://www.nortekcontrol.com/product_detail.php?productId=1505

Oxygen found half a billion light years away
2-24-2020
For the first time ever, scientists have discovered evidence of molecular oxygen in a distant galaxy.
'Engine of consciousness' found in macaques
2-24-2020
Scientists have identified an area of the brain that seems to be strongly connected to consciousness.
Family hears music, voices coming from walls
2-24-2020
An Illinois family has been plagued by what sound like radio broadcasts coming from their walls at night.
Flat-Earther Mike Hughes dies in rocket mishap
2-23-2020
The self-taught rocket scientist and daredevil was killed during an attempt to prove that the Earth is flat.
The babysitter
2-8-2020 | ON

Mystery brain surgery and JFK
2-7-2020 | Toronto Ontario Canada

I keep bringing spirits home
2-7-2020 | Michigan