Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Scientists aim to clone an extinct cave lion

Posted on Saturday, 5 March, 2016 | Comment icon 24 comments

The species died out around 10,000 years ago. Image Credit: PD - Heinrich Harder
The woolly mammoth is not the only prehistoric beast that modern science could bring back to life.
Russian and South Korean scientists have joined forces in a renewed effort to find usable DNA within the extremely well preserved remains of two cave lion cubs found in Russia last year.

"Comparing with modern lion cubs, we think that these two were very small, maybe a week or two old," said Dr Albert Protopopov, head of the mammoth studies department of the Yakutian Academy of Sciences. "The eyes were not quite open, they have baby teeth and not all had appeared".
It is thought that the cubs may have perished when a landslide buried them inside a cave.

The research, which is being conducted at North East Russia University in the city of Yakutsk, involves some of the same scientists who have been working on cloning a mammoth.

"We managed to take some samples of skin along with the muscle tissue, and we hope that we will find what we want in these samples," said Dr Protopopov.

Source: Siberian Times | Comments (24)

Tags: Cave Lion, Cloning, Extinct

Comment icon #15 Posted by Gingitsune on 8 March, 2016, 7:32
I don't know that starting with predators is a good choice. They have plenty of stuff for predators to eat in Pleistocene Park, horses, moose, reindeer, muskox, wapiti, bison and they are working on getting even more species. I sure there is money involved with this decision. Bring back something that is prehistoric that died off in past instead something that went extinct due to humans. It seems humans were the cause of the extinction of megafauna. When homo sapiens appear on a continent, megafauna disappear, the laters which survive quite a few glaciation before that, but as soon as you add ... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by Absinthe on 8 March, 2016, 9:31
I think cloning is bad why can't things stay the way God created it ?
Comment icon #17 Posted by Myles on 8 March, 2016, 12:19
They have plenty of stuff for predators to eat in Pleistocene Park, horses, moose, reindeer, muskox, wapiti, bison and they are working on getting even more species. So that means we should bring back and introduce a predator to kill them?
Comment icon #18 Posted by Nuclear Wessel on 8 March, 2016, 13:23
I think cloning is bad why can't things stay the way God created it ? I don't believe that god created anything.
Comment icon #19 Posted by TonopahRick on 9 March, 2016, 5:28
Bring it back, we could always use a new creature.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Pjjr on 11 March, 2016, 16:59
I wouldn't put it past the scientific community that they've already cloned more than Dolley the sheep. Supposedly they're in the process of working with viable Woolley mammoth dna in Sinapore, in hopes of cloning one in the future.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Zalmoxis on 12 March, 2016, 6:51
Feasible. I'd like to see this cat.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Gingitsune on 13 March, 2016, 3:46
I think cloning is bad why can't things stay the way God created it ? Who else would you think created these lions?
Comment icon #23 Posted by LuckyGirl84 on 13 March, 2016, 9:29
As for money, I guess it's Russian money. First, they would like to see some scientific prowess as back in the cold war days, second, that would fan the romantic - patriotic sensibility of their public. Seeing the mammoths and the Siberian lions back in the Russian steppes, so Putin can pose killing one... Of course, it would take quite some time before there are enough mammoths or lions to kill some, so it will be a clone of Putin as well. There is a great tv program on the Nazis attempting to do the same thing via back breeding. However, they failed to achieve the desired results
Comment icon #24 Posted by Darkenpath25 on 18 March, 2016, 16:51
Yes, I have read the quotes from other members on mine. I recognize that cloning could be a great help. ( I was agreeing with you ) The added But was my views on the subject not saying anything towards your quote .

Flock of birds falls dead from the sky in Wales
12-11-2019
Authorities are investigating what might have caused an entire flock of starlings to suddenly drop dead.
'Expedition Bigfoot' reveals new video evidence
12-11-2019
A team of TV Bigfoot hunters have released a video clip of an unidentified creature picked up on thermal camera.
Celtic warrior unearthed in major Iron Age find
12-10-2019
Archaeologists in England are hailing the discovery as one of the most significant finds of the millennium.
Baba Vanga's predictions for 2020 revealed
12-10-2019
Before she passed away, the blind seer made numerous predictions about what would happen in the future.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia