Sunday, July 5, 2020

Giant squid may grow larger than a school bus

Posted on Friday, 27 May, 2016 | Comment icon 9 comments

Just how large can a giant squid get ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Dan Century
A new study has suggested that giant squid may actually grow to be much larger than previously believed.
Very little was actually known about the giant squid until relatively recently and for centuries many considered these enigmatic cephalopods to be little more than the product of myths and stories.

Now however we know that not only are these deep-sea denizens genuine creatures, but that reports of their huge size, far from being an exaggeration, may actually be an underestimation.

To learn more about the species, fisheries ecologist and statistician Charles Paxton has been analyzing hundreds of specimens to determine just how large these animals can grow.
His results have suggested that giant squid can reach sizes of up to 64ft (20m) in length.

"I am extrapolating here, and extrapolation can sometimes be a bit sketchy," he said. "But I think these are fairly safe extrapolations. I genuinely think that [their] size has been underestimated."

It isn't clear exactly why giant squid grow to such an enormous size however Paxton believes that it may be some form of defense mechanism to protect them from being eaten by sperm whales.

"It'd be interesting to find out if they do ever reach a size where they cannot ever be eaten," he said.

Source: Live Science | Comments (9)

Tags: Giant Squid

Comment icon #1 Posted by Daughter of the Nine Moons on 26 May, 2016, 21:45
Is it sad that my first though was pan fried calamari?
Comment icon #2 Posted by Darkenpath25 on 26 May, 2016, 23:10
I hope it stays where it is, I would die if I seen one that size in my yard.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Wickian on 26 May, 2016, 23:25
Giant Squid can only hope the Asian market, both legal an illegal, never discover a practical way to hunt them.
Comment icon #4 Posted by MisterMan on 27 May, 2016, 10:39
I hear it tastes like giant chicken.
Comment icon #5 Posted by BadChadB33 on 27 May, 2016, 13:23
Still scares me what else is lurking down there that  we don't know about.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 27 May, 2016, 16:41
And still another good reason to stay out of the water.  At my age I want to avoid as much possible dangers as possible.  I know you can't idiot proof everything, but why go looking for trouble.
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 27 May, 2016, 18:40
I lived in Florida within the 60's, 70's and early 80's. Fort Pierce to be precise. Anyway, a semi-popular place to relax in a public park and go swimming in the "Intra-Coastal Waterway" had a problem with sting-rays. My brother got hit by one... not pleasant I guess. Fast-Forward 20-years...  During a visit to my home town, and to that exact same park we enjoyed, I noticed that the city had at some previous point done something remarkable: They embedded an underwater fence, tall enough to be visible above the water, and maybe 50 yards from shore. completely surrounding that area to the shore ... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Harte on 27 May, 2016, 19:41
Worrying about monsters is a distraction by the NWO. There's probably bacteria down there that could wipe out the entire human race in a week. In comparison, death by giant monster is epic. Harte
Comment icon #9 Posted by BeastieRunner on 31 May, 2016, 18:05
Nobody has made a joke about a bigger boat yet?

Birds nest inside the Loch Ness Monster's head
7-4-2020
The lack of visitors to the iconic Scottish loch during lockdown has made it possible for nature to take over.
Huge bird catches 'shark' in new viral video
7-4-2020
The spectacle of a bird catching an enormous fish has been captured on film at South Carolina's Myrtle Beach.
Plant brought back to life after 32,000 years
7-3-2020
Scientists are trying to determine how it was possible to grow seeds that were tens of thousands of years old.
This photo of a 'human-sized' bat is actually real
7-3-2020
A photograph of an enormous bat hanging upside-down from a ceiling has been doing the rounds online recently.

Grim reaper-like visitation