Saturday, January 25, 2020

Giant squid may grow larger than a school bus

Posted on Friday, 27 May, 2016 | Comment icon 9 comments

Just how large can a giant squid get ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Dan Century
A new study has suggested that giant squid may actually grow to be much larger than previously believed.
Very little was actually known about the giant squid until relatively recently and for centuries many considered these enigmatic cephalopods to be little more than the product of myths and stories.

Now however we know that not only are these deep-sea denizens genuine creatures, but that reports of their huge size, far from being an exaggeration, may actually be an underestimation.

To learn more about the species, fisheries ecologist and statistician Charles Paxton has been analyzing hundreds of specimens to determine just how large these animals can grow.
His results have suggested that giant squid can reach sizes of up to 64ft (20m) in length.

"I am extrapolating here, and extrapolation can sometimes be a bit sketchy," he said. "But I think these are fairly safe extrapolations. I genuinely think that [their] size has been underestimated."

It isn't clear exactly why giant squid grow to such an enormous size however Paxton believes that it may be some form of defense mechanism to protect them from being eaten by sperm whales.

"It'd be interesting to find out if they do ever reach a size where they cannot ever be eaten," he said.

Source: Live Science | Comments (9)

Tags: Giant Squid

Comment icon #1 Posted by Daughter of the Nine Moons on 26 May, 2016, 21:45
Is it sad that my first though was pan fried calamari?
Comment icon #2 Posted by Darkenpath25 on 26 May, 2016, 23:10
I hope it stays where it is, I would die if I seen one that size in my yard.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Wickian on 26 May, 2016, 23:25
Giant Squid can only hope the Asian market, both legal an illegal, never discover a practical way to hunt them.
Comment icon #4 Posted by MisterMan on 27 May, 2016, 10:39
I hear it tastes like giant chicken.
Comment icon #5 Posted by BadChadB33 on 27 May, 2016, 13:23
Still scares me what else is lurking down there that  we don't know about.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 27 May, 2016, 16:41
And still another good reason to stay out of the water.  At my age I want to avoid as much possible dangers as possible.  I know you can't idiot proof everything, but why go looking for trouble.
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 27 May, 2016, 18:40
I lived in Florida within the 60's, 70's and early 80's. Fort Pierce to be precise. Anyway, a semi-popular place to relax in a public park and go swimming in the "Intra-Coastal Waterway" had a problem with sting-rays. My brother got hit by one... not pleasant I guess. Fast-Forward 20-years...  During a visit to my home town, and to that exact same park we enjoyed, I noticed that the city had at some previous point done something remarkable: They embedded an underwater fence, tall enough to be visible above the water, and maybe 50 yards from shore. completely surrounding that area to the shore ... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Harte on 27 May, 2016, 19:41
Worrying about monsters is a distraction by the NWO. There's probably bacteria down there that could wipe out the entire human race in a week. In comparison, death by giant monster is epic. Harte
Comment icon #9 Posted by BeastieRunner on 31 May, 2016, 18:05
Nobody has made a joke about a bigger boat yet?

Astronauts create first ever food baked in space
1-24-2020
In a first-of-its-kind experiment, the astronauts aboard the ISS have baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Doomsday Clock is now seconds from midnight
1-24-2020
According to the latest movement of the symbolic clock, the state of our world has gone from bad to worse.
Devon police once chased a UFO at 90mph
1-24-2020
One of Britain's strangest UFO cases began when two policemen spotted something very unusual in the sky.
Volcanic eruption turned victims' brains to glass
1-23-2020
This dire fate awaited the residents of Herculaneum when Mount Vesuvius erupted in the year 79.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA