Tuesday, May 17, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

Giant squid washes up on beach in South Africa

June 13, 2020 | Comment icon 8 comments

The squid was still alive when it was found. Image Credit: YouTube / Richard Davies
Beachgoers at St Helena Bay were surprised to discover this giant cephalopod on the sand on Sunday morning.
With a body measuring more than 7ft in length and tentacles a further 8ft-long a piece, the squid, which is estimated to weigh in at up to 300kg, was found washed up on Britannia Bay Beach in St Helena Bay, Western Cape where it soon attracted the attention of local beachgoers.

In one video clip, which can be viewed below, one man films the creature as his friend lies down on the sand next to it, demonstrating just how large its body is compared to an adult human.

It is rare to get such a close-up look at a giant squid because the species lives deep down in the ocean where it is rarely encountered and where studying it alive is very challenging.
It is unclear exactly how this particular individual ended up on the beach.

"It was sad because I could see it was dying," said Richard Davies who filmed the creature.

"It was still pumping out ink and I touched one of its tentacles which sucked onto my hand and I actually had to use some force to remove it."

Source: News24.com | Comments (8)

Comment icon #1 Posted by 'Walt' E. Kurtz 2 years ago
Those can get as large as a buss!
Comment icon #2 Posted by Torviking 2 years ago
Might be the same one who had a disagreement with the shark from yesterday?s story?
Comment icon #3 Posted by Susanc241 2 years ago
If it was 'dying', why didn?t they try to see if putting it back in the water would have revived it? If it was dying of natural causes it would have died anyway so what harm in trying to save it?
Comment icon #4 Posted by Seti42 2 years ago
You're gonnaneed a bigger fryer.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Jon the frog 2 years ago
Squid die after breeding, would be interesting to know if it have down that ! Would bring interesting cue about their life.
Comment icon #6 Posted by DirtyDocMartens 2 years ago
Susan, they tried but it was too heavy.
Comment icon #7 Posted by I'mConvinced 2 years ago
Call that a giant? Pfft. When I was young I'd of eaten two of those for breakfast.
Comment icon #8 Posted by I'mConvinced 2 years ago
This is why I always carry a giant squid sized bathtub full of water to the beach with me, you know, just in case!

Total Posts: 7,264,116    Topics: 298,741    Members: 196,868