Friday, March 23, 2018

Winchester Mystery House movie starts filming

Posted on Saturday, 6 May, 2017 | Comment icon 8 comments

The Winchester Mystery House. Image Credit: Public Domain
Dame Helen Mirren will be starring in a new movie about Sarah Winchester's mysterious Victorian mansion.
One of San Jose's most popular tourist attractions, the enigmatic mansion has 161 rooms, 40 staircases ( some of which leading to nowhere ), 10,000 windows and 2,000 doors.

Constructed in 1884 and owned by Sarah Winchester - the widow of gun magnate William Wirt Winchester - the building is said to be haunted by the ghosts of those killed by Winchester rifles.

Its interior is as lavish as it is bizarre, with a peculiar room layout, doors leading to solid walls, windows on the walls of inside rooms, a large bell which is rung every Friday 13th and multiple 'decoy' rooms that Winchester used in an effort to fool the spirits she believed resided there.

Now a new movie, "Winchester", is set to bring the mysteries of the house to the big screen.

"She was a fascinating woman," said Mirren. "People say she was crazy. I don't think she was crazy at all, I think she was troubled, and I think she was like an artist."

"She wished to live on her own terms. The house is her work of art."

"You can really feel it when you're here - you can feel the spirit of the one who built it. It's been amazing and inspiring for me being here. It's as if you're falling down the rabbit hole."

The movie, which also stars Jason Clarke, is set to be released in cinemas next year.

Source: Mercury News | Comments (8)

Tags: Winchester Mystery House

Comment icon #1 Posted by strunk64 on 6 May, 2017, 22:20
Something like 62 windows and 12 doors in each room, averaged. It must be very confusing for the ghosts, and people. I'm going to have to look up pictures of the interior. I think I'll watch this movie.
Comment icon #2 Posted by docyabut2 on 7 May, 2017, 1:45
Comment icon #3 Posted by chissus on 9 May, 2017, 14:38
I've always been fascinated by this house. I will definitely see the movie!
Comment icon #4 Posted by Calibeliever on 9 May, 2017, 19:50
I went there as a kid (circa 1976?). It left an indelible impression on my young mind. Staircases leading nowhere, rooms without floors, it kinda messed with me. The story they told then was that Mrs. Winchester felt the only way to appease the ghosts of all the souls that had been killed by her husband's rifles was to never stop building on the house. Wild.
Comment icon #5 Posted by The Russian Hare on 9 May, 2017, 23:10
That house sucks, most of the original furnishings are gone and there's a huge tacky gift shop that you have to leave through, Disney-style. Only cool thing about it is the gun museum.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Calibeliever on 10 May, 2017, 17:20
That's a shame,when I was there (40 years ago) it wasn't like that. I can see why most of the original furnishings are gone though. They would be over 100 years old already.
Comment icon #7 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 May, 2017, 15:36
I've been there. It's pretty cool. A lot of 13s because she thought it was lucky.
Comment icon #8 Posted by strunk64 on 12 May, 2017, 0:47
13 is my lucky number too.

Curiosity rover celebrates 2,000 days on Mars
NASA's flagship rover has now been trundling across the surface of the Red Planet for more than five years.
Wreck of the USS Juneau found after 75 years
The World War II-era vessel went down in 1942 after being hit by Japanese torpedoes in the Pacific.
Tiangong-1 space station to crash over Easter
China's out-of-control Tiangong-1 space lab is now expected to fall to Earth over the Easter weekend.
Mystery of lioness with a mane has been solved
Researchers have finally determined why a zoo lioness has mysteriously sprouted mane-like head and neck hair.
How smart are you ?
Posted 3-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does an IQ test really offer an accurate measure of a person's intelligence ?
Posted 3-22-2018 | 1 comment
A look at words that sound alike and are spelt the same, but that have different meanings.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA