Wednesday, October 16, 2019

London street swarmed by thousands of bees

Posted on Thursday, 18 May, 2017 | Comment icon 10 comments

The insects were thought to have come from Greenwich Park. Image Credit: CC BY 3.0 Joseph Plotz
Pedestrians were left ducking for cover as the swarm descended on a crowded street earlier this week.
The harrowing incident, which occurred along Greenwich Church Street, saw a huge cloud of the buzzing insects swarming around cars, traffic lights and even passers-by.

Local jewelry shop owner Abigail Hering described the scene as "absolutely crazy".

"It was just literally swarming," she said. "Millions of them on the traffic lights. And while I was videoing them I looked down and I could see literally the front of me covered in bees."

"They were on me. They were on everybody. They were in your hair, on your top."

Fortunately though, beekeeper Phil Clarkson and his wife Tracey were able to collect most of the insects in a mobile hive and offered their reassurances that the bees were not a threat.

"A swarm is very benign, the likelihood of getting stung is very, very rare, and in most cases it's only when people swat them or squash them on their body that the bee will sting them," he said.

"They're very calm and very docile when they're swarming."

Source: CBS News | Comments (10)

Tags: London, Bees

Comment icon #1 Posted by WoIverine on 18 May, 2017, 18:26
Due to a severe lack of decent bee related puns:
Comment icon #2 Posted by seaturtlehorsesnake on 18 May, 2017, 18:37
did you get that gif from... buzzfeed?
Comment icon #3 Posted by WoIverine on 18 May, 2017, 18:41
lol, zing! (actually got it when I googled "Bee related puns")†
Comment icon #4 Posted by docyabut2 on 19 May, 2017, 0:58
Comment icon #5 Posted by Frank Merton on 19 May, 2017, 1:02
I don't know how dangerous British bees might be -- it sounds not much since the residents seemed calm enough. †There are some places where swarms are dangerous. †In such a situation don't try to swat them away -- just get away.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Susanc241 on 19 May, 2017, 7:20
Only dangerous if you suffer from bee venom allergy. Most of us have been stung at least once in our lives (painful enough) but a few unlucky people do die from anaphylactic shock.
Comment icon #7 Posted by geraldnewfie on 19 May, 2017, 10:16
im waiting for the religious comments with the end of times when insects invade :P
Comment icon #8 Posted by Matt221 on 19 May, 2017, 10:45
So long as a queen bee is with them a swarm of bees isn't dangerous I once saw my dad pick a swarm up with his bare hands,it's summat to do with the smells and movement of the swarm ....... don't think I'll bother trying the theory out though.†
Comment icon #9 Posted by paperdyer on 19 May, 2017, 16:02
If they're anything like the "yellow jack" variety we have in the South, they are vindictive SOBs.† My dog and I accidently got close to a nest.† They not only came out, they chased us back into the house.† My dog and I got stung so much that she needed a shot from the vet.† To show how vindictive they were, some flew up my pants leg and, you guessed it,† went after the family jewels.† That night my wife even found that one had nested in my hair.† I took a lot of antihistimines but should have gone to the hospital myself as I had the shakes for hours afterwards.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Future ghost on 19 May, 2017, 16:39
They certainly are. Even more vindictive are the Bald Faced Hornets ( in the same family, I think). I was mowing in the back 10 acres when I drove past their nest. They started pouring out and chasing me. I freaked out since they're huge, kicked my tractor into high gear, and just barely made it inside. A big swarm of them lurked outside the door for about an hour, looking for a way in so they could finish me off. Never had†that†happen with Yellow Jackets. Sorry about your injuries, sounds really painful. Glad you're both ok.

NASA unveils new Artemis spacesuit prototypes
10-16-2019
Keen to meet its 2024 deadline for returning to the Moon, NASA has unveiled its first new spacesuits in 40 years.
Visiting interstellar comet is caught on camera
10-15-2019
Astronomers have revealed that comet 2I/Borisov is remarkably similar to comets from our own solar system.
Man traces pop star from her eye reflections
10-15-2019
A man has been arrested after using a disturbingly simple yet effective way to track down a pop star's home.
Revisited: Ronnie James Dio's UFO encounter
10-15-2019
The late heavy metal singer-songwriter had his own experience with a UFO at his house in New Canaan.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ