Sunday, July 22, 2018

Scientists discover new species of giant rat

Posted on Wednesday, 27 September, 2017 | Comment icon 10 comments

The vika can grow up to half a meter in length. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Chris Barber
Known as the 'vika' rat, the new species has a set of teeth so powerful that it can crack open coconuts.
Native to the Solomon Islands, this elusive tree-dwelling species had been rumored to exist for years, but it wasn't until very recently that scientists were finally able to track down a live specimen.

"When I first met with the people from Vangunu Island in the Solomons, they told me about a rat native to the island that they called vika, which lived in the trees," said Dr Tyrone Lavery.

"I was excited because I had just started my PhD, and I'd read a lot of books about people who go on adventures and discover new species."

The hunt for the new rat would prove particularly challenging, leading Dr Lavery and his team to question whether this really was a new species at all.

It wasn't until one was spotted running from a felled tree that they realized it was the real deal.

"As soon as I examined the specimen, I knew it was something different," he said. "There are only eight known species of native rat from the Solomon Islands, and looking at the features on its skull, I could rule out a bunch of species right away."

Sadly though, despite excitement surrounding the discovery, the new species of rat is already endangered thanks to the ongoing deforestation of its remote island home.

"It's getting to the stage for this rat that, if we hadn't discovered it now, it might never have gotten discovered," said Dr Lavery.

"The area where it was found is one of the only places left with forest that hasn't been logged."

Source: Independent | Comments (10)

Tags: Vika, Rat

Comment icon #1 Posted by Manfred von Dreidecker on 27 September, 2017, 10:26
It's not in Sumatra is it? Could the world be ready for it at last?Giant Rat of Sumatra
Comment icon #2 Posted by Nostrodumbass on 27 September, 2017, 12:13
Scientists discover possible new species of giant rat - said scientists capture and kill the rat to examine the skull - they discover it is a new species - they discover they killed the last one - look for new species - repeat
Comment icon #3 Posted by Rolci on 27 September, 2017, 12:59
I did not realise teeth can be "powerful". What does that even mean???
Comment icon #4 Posted by Still Waters on 27 September, 2017, 13:53
It means it has strong teeth.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Almighty Evan on 27 September, 2017, 14:22
R. O. U. S.'s? I don't think they exist. OR Good, my family's been expanding -- coot cobbler and possum stew just isn't enough anymore.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Nzo on 27 September, 2017, 16:49
I thought the article was about politicians.
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 27 September, 2017, 17:38
It chews through the coconut, it doesn't "crack-open" a coconut.
Comment icon #8 Posted by FateAmeniableToChange on 6 October, 2017, 15:12
It meant powerful bite as in lbs pressure per square inch based on examining its jaw structure,muscles etc
Comment icon #9 Posted by taniwha on 6 October, 2017, 16:40
Another thing for children to have nightmares over.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Rolci on 6 October, 2017, 19:10
How are teeth "strong"? Like, can a piece of rock be "strong"? "Hard" I would understand. But strong? That I would understand. Powerful bite, yes. Powerful / strong teeth, I am having a hard time with.

Giant 'dire wolf' filmed chasing dog in woods
7-22-2018
Remarkable footage has resurfaced showing a dog being pursued by a gigantic black wolf-like creature.
Neil Armstrong's collection to go up for auction
7-21-2018
A number of personal mementos Armstrong took with him to the Moon are set to go up for sale at auction.
Mystery buzzing plagues Barwell residents
7-21-2018
An aggravating background noise has been giving locals in Leicestershire sleepless nights for months.
ESA wants you to name its new Mars rover
7-21-2018
The European Space Agency is offering a prize to the person who manages to come up with the winning name.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA