Friday, May 24, 2019

Woman runs record 63 marathons in 63 days

Posted on Sunday, 29 October, 2017 | Comment icon 18 comments

The run took her across the British Isles. Image Credit: Kristian Olsen
50-year-old Nikki Love managed to run an entire marathon every single day for more than two months.
For most of us, the thought of running even one marathon leaves us feeling breathless, but for Nikki, running 26 miles is little more than a warm-up.

After setting off from John O' Groats on 27 August with her support crew, she succeeded in running the equivalent distance of a whole marathon every single day for 63 days straight.

Her record-breaking run, which aimed to raise money for the Huntingdon's Disease Association, came to a close in Leicestershire's Swithland Wood on Saturday.

Nikki and her team are now hoping to apply to have the feat officially recognized by Guinness World Records as it beats the existing record holder who ran 60 consecutive marathon distances.

"It's been tough and amazing," she said.

"It's been an adventure and a challenge, which is what I wanted."

Source: BBC News | Comments (18)

Tags: Nikki Love, Running, Marathon

Comment icon #9 Posted by simplybill on 30 October, 2017, 15:56
I have endless admiration for people who continue their workout regimen into old age. An 82-year-old man recently set the record for being the oldest thru-hiker to complete the 2200-mile Appalachian Trail!†I hope and pray I have that kind of endurance in my senior years. A high school friend still does Ironman Triathlons.†Weíre both 64 years old. Heís been an inspiration to me since high school days, when he started lifting weights and beating everyone in arm wrestling. He recently went on a 3-day backpacking trip.† My goal is to be able to mow my own lawn when Iím 80. Maybe I need to raise th... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by simplybill on 30 October, 2017, 16:00
Thatís hilarious.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Taun on 30 October, 2017, 16:17
Ya can't go wrong with Red Green... I'm also 64 and I use to be very active - up until I was 52... Now I can feel myself losing "wind" (stamina while running) and walking long distance is not as easy as it used to be... I keep meaning to start working out... but that sounds like so much work...
Comment icon #12 Posted by simplybill on 30 October, 2017, 17:23
Taun - I donít do the heavy workouts anymore. I have 20-pound dumbbells, a sit-up board†and a chin-up bar. Throughout the day, Iíll randomly do a set of chin-ups, curls, sit-ups, squats, and so on. It helps me stay toned without having to go to the gym three times a week. I try†to target all the muscles and ligaments that Iíll need to mow my lawn when Iím 80. It sounds silly, but it†seems like a more practical goal for me than running marathons. Also, I do a lot of walking. Running has always been too hard on my knees.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Taun on 30 October, 2017, 17:38
Two words that I NEVER put together seriously in my life are "fun and "run"... Walking, on the other hand I have always enjoyed and I have always walked very quickly (It helps that I am tall and my stride eats up a lot of ground)... I never enjoyed weights, and while in the Army I exercised when we all did (PT)... I was just one of those guys that got enough exercise by walking (almost literally everywhere) - which was fortunate as I spent a lot of time in the Infantry... However now that I'm retired, I've gotten much more sedentary... Funny story - Part of the Annual Army Fitness test was a 2... [More]
Comment icon #14 Posted by simplybill on 30 October, 2017, 18:19
Lol, I can picture that scene.†
Comment icon #15 Posted by quiXilver on 30 October, 2017, 20:25
As the legend goes: Pheidippides who ran to Athens to bring news of the Victory over the Persions at the battle of Marathon.† Arrived and exclaimed 'Nike!† Nike!† Joy to you!'† Collapsed on the spot and then with his dying breath repeated, "Joy to you!"... and died. † † † †
Comment icon #16 Posted by simplybill on 30 October, 2017, 22:41
I just remembered something I read a while ago: "These peopleís name, Raramuri, translates as ďthose who walk well.Ē A reserved people, they are in fact famous for their ability to run great distances. Wearing only thin sandals, some Raramuri are known to cross 100 to 200 miles in only a few days. They have carried on kickball races for 450 miles, running day and night in difficult terrain. Runners from these southern barrancas recently came to Colorado to participate in a 100-mile ultramarathon on rough trails over timberline mountains. When they arrived, they made sandals by stripping old ca... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by Team 63 on 31 October, 2017, 15:45
Hi guys, I'm the lady in the article, Nicola Love's, partner and Support Team! I just wanted to answer a few of the points you have raised in your comments here.† It really has been amazing what she has done.† I've been with her on most of the days, except when I've been at work, and watching her has been inspiring.† It hasn't been easy, and this was part of the challenge, but her determination and the reasons she was doing it got her through.† I've seen her on her good days and bad.† I've sometimes had to drag her out of bed, forced her to eat when she's been out running, and kept look out wh... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by simplybill on 31 October, 2017, 16:01
Thank you for the great update, Sharif! I admire your devotion to a worthy cause. Please tell Nicole that her accomplishment is very†inspiring!

German tourists try to lure Nessie with Haribo
5-24-2019
A bizarre new trend has seen tourists throwing Haribo sweets in to Loch Ness to try and lure the monster.
$3,000 prize offered for remote viewing research
5-23-2019
The prize will be awarded to the best 'research proposal investigating some aspect of remote viewing.'
'Psychics' swindle lawyer out of $1.5 million
5-23-2019
Police in Las Vegas have made two arrests in connection with a lengthy scam involving bogus psychic services.
Academic: 'aliens are interbreeding with us'
5-23-2019
Oxford academic Dr Young-hae Chi claims that humanity has been having some very close encounters indeed.
Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment