Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Massive hornet's nest removed in new video

Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 | Comment icon 8 comments

It's not a job for the feint of heart. Image Credit: YouTube / Stinger Creations
Louisiana exterminator Jude Verret was called out recently to remove a truly monstrous nest of hornets.
In the footage, the troublesome swarm of insects, which had set up home inside a pile of junk being stored in a shed, can be heard pelting the camera over and over as Verret gets to work.

The nest itself, which resembled a mass of dirt and cardboard, was around the size of a refrigerator.

Describing it as "the granddaddy of hornet's nests," the veteran exterminator seemed to make light work of the monumental task of removing it as the swarm of hornets buzzed around him.

All in all it took him a mere 45 minutes to completely remove the nest from the property.

Source: National Geographic | Comments (8)

Tags: Hornets

Comment icon #1 Posted by _KB_ on 27 November, 2017, 11:24
I had 2 nests last summer, one inside the wall one inside the chimney... there's something that makes me feel all warm inside about the ones in the chimney suffocating from the smoke
Comment icon #2 Posted by Sundew on 27 November, 2017, 11:54
How would you like to have been the first person who accidentally opened up the shed? I'd be running faster than Usain Bolt!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Tom the Photon on 27 November, 2017, 14:23
If you set up a vacuum cleaner near the entrance - how long would it take to suck up 90%?
Comment icon #4 Posted by Chaldon on 27 November, 2017, 16:57
Aren't these too lemon-yellow for hornets? The ones we have in Siberia have a slight orange tint. By the by, last summer I've seen a tree with the nest of wild hornets, it looked like a barely noticeable hole in a pine tree. Luckily I've noticed it just in time.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Sundew on 28 November, 2017, 0:55
I got rid of a huge yellow jacket nest with a wet-vacuum. First take out the filter and put a few inches of water and some dish soap in the barrel, thenduct tape a length of PVC pipe to the hose and place it about 1/2 inchfrom the nest opening at night when they are asleep. The next morning turn on the vac and watch the fun! As fast as they come out or try to return to the nest they are suck up, slammed into the inside of the vac and the soap acts as a surfactant which drowns them in about a minute. When virtually none were coming out again I opened it to see the results and there were thous... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by rodentraiser on 28 November, 2017, 1:51
That gave me the willies just watching that.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Jon the frog on 13 December, 2017, 17:52
Don't know if they have only one queen for a nest that big ? Someone know if some species have multiple queens ? If it's only one, she's prolific !
Comment icon #8 Posted by Matt221 on 13 December, 2017, 18:39
Little fact my old dad God rest him told me about Hornets if you disturb a nest and stand still they leave you alone, run and they'll have you I tried it then lost my bottle legged it and sure enough I got stung afew times

Twelve new moons discovered around Jupiter
7-17-2018
The discovery means that the gas giant has a total of 79 moons - more than any other planet in the solar system.
5,500-year-old tomb discovered in Ireland
7-17-2018
A megalithic tomb unearthed in County Meath has been described by archaeologists as the 'find of a lifetime'.
A quadrillion tons of diamond discovered
7-17-2018
Scientists have determined that there is 1,000 times more diamond beneath our feet than previously thought.
2,000-year-old Basel papyrus mystery solved
7-16-2018
Researchers have finally succeeded in deciphering an ancient papyrus with mirror writing on both sides.
Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA