Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Massive hornet's nest removed in new video

Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 | Comment icon 8 comments

It's not a job for the feint of heart. Image Credit: YouTube / Stinger Creations
Louisiana exterminator Jude Verret was called out recently to remove a truly monstrous nest of hornets.
In the footage, the troublesome swarm of insects, which had set up home inside a pile of junk being stored in a shed, can be heard pelting the camera over and over as Verret gets to work.

The nest itself, which resembled a mass of dirt and cardboard, was around the size of a refrigerator.

Describing it as "the granddaddy of hornet's nests," the veteran exterminator seemed to make light work of the monumental task of removing it as the swarm of hornets buzzed around him.

All in all it took him a mere 45 minutes to completely remove the nest from the property.

Source: National Geographic | Comments (8)

Tags: Hornets

Comment icon #1 Posted by _KB_ on 27 November, 2017, 11:24
I had 2 nests last summer, one inside the wall one inside the chimney... there's something that makes me feel all warm inside about the ones in the chimney suffocating from the smoke
Comment icon #2 Posted by Sundew on 27 November, 2017, 11:54
How would you like to have been the first person who accidentally opened up the shed?  I'd be running faster than Usain Bolt!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Tom the Photon on 27 November, 2017, 14:23
If you set up a vacuum cleaner near the entrance - how long would it take to suck up 90%?
Comment icon #4 Posted by Chaldon on 27 November, 2017, 16:57
Aren't these too lemon-yellow for hornets? The ones we have in Siberia have a slight orange tint. By the by, last summer I've seen a tree with the nest of wild hornets, it looked like a barely noticeable hole in a pine tree. Luckily I've noticed it just in time.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Sundew on 28 November, 2017, 0:55
I got rid of a huge yellow jacket nest with a wet-vacuum. First take out the filter and put a few inches of water and some dish soap in the barrel, then duct tape a length of PVC pipe to the hose and place it about 1/2 inch from the nest opening at night when they are asleep. The next morning turn on the vac and watch the fun! As fast as they come out or try to return to the nest they are suck up, slammed into the inside of the vac and the soap acts as a surfactant which drowns them in about a minute. When virtually none were coming out again I opened it to see the results and there were thous... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by rodentraiser on 28 November, 2017, 1:51
That gave me the willies just watching that.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Jon the frog on 13 December, 2017, 17:52
Don't know if they have only one queen for a nest that big ? Someone know if some species have multiple queens ? If it's only one, she's prolific !
Comment icon #8 Posted by Matt221 on 13 December, 2017, 18:39
Little fact my old dad God rest him told me about Hornets if you disturb a nest and stand still they leave you alone, run and they'll have you I tried it then lost my bottle legged it and sure enough I got stung afew times

Mystery surrounds 'T-34' written on polar bear
12-9-2019
An investigation is currently underway in an effort to track down who is responsible for painting the animal.
ESA to launch space debris collector in 2025
12-9-2019
If successful, the mission will be the first ever to remove a piece of space junk from Earth's orbit.
Can dogs smell the passage of time ?
12-9-2019
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
'Expedition Bigfoot' set to track down Sasquatch
12-8-2019
A new TV series will follow a team of Bigfoot hunters as they attempt to find evidence of the creature's existence.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia