Saturday, April 21, 2018

Massive hornet's nest removed in new video

Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 | Comment icon 8 comments

It's not a job for the feint of heart. Image Credit: YouTube / Stinger Creations
Louisiana exterminator Jude Verret was called out recently to remove a truly monstrous nest of hornets.
In the footage, the troublesome swarm of insects, which had set up home inside a pile of junk being stored in a shed, can be heard pelting the camera over and over as Verret gets to work.

The nest itself, which resembled a mass of dirt and cardboard, was around the size of a refrigerator.

Describing it as "the granddaddy of hornet's nests," the veteran exterminator seemed to make light work of the monumental task of removing it as the swarm of hornets buzzed around him.

All in all it took him a mere 45 minutes to completely remove the nest from the property.

Source: National Geographic | Comments (8)

Tags: Hornets

Comment icon #1 Posted by _KB_ on 27 November, 2017, 11:24
I had 2 nests last summer, one inside the wall one inside the chimney... there's something that makes me feel all warm inside about the ones in the chimney suffocating from the smoke
Comment icon #2 Posted by Sundew on 27 November, 2017, 11:54
How would you like to have been the first person who accidentally opened up the shed? I'd be running faster than Usain Bolt!
Comment icon #3 Posted by Tom the Photon on 27 November, 2017, 14:23
If you set up a vacuum cleaner near the entrance - how long would it take to suck up 90%?
Comment icon #4 Posted by Chaldon on 27 November, 2017, 16:57
Aren't these too lemon-yellow for hornets? The ones we have in Siberia have a slight orange tint. By the by, last summer I've seen a tree with the nest of wild hornets, it looked like a barely noticeable hole in a pine tree. Luckily I've noticed it just in time.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Sundew on 28 November, 2017, 0:55
I got rid of a huge yellow jacket nest with a wet-vacuum. First take out the filter and put a few inches of water and some dish soap in the barrel, thenduct tape a length of PVC pipe to the hose and place it about 1/2 inchfrom the nest opening at night when they are asleep. The next morning turn on the vac and watch the fun! As fast as they come out or try to return to the nest they are suck up, slammed into the inside of the vac and the soap acts as a surfactant which drowns them in about a minute. When virtually none were coming out again I opened it to see the results and there were thous... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by rodentraiser on 28 November, 2017, 1:51
That gave me the willies just watching that.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Jon the frog on 13 December, 2017, 17:52
Don't know if they have only one queen for a nest that big ? Someone know if some species have multiple queens ? If it's only one, she's prolific !
Comment icon #8 Posted by Matt221 on 13 December, 2017, 18:39
Little fact my old dad God rest him told me about Hornets if you disturb a nest and stand still they leave you alone, run and they'll have you I tried it then lost my bottle legged it and sure enough I got stung afew times

New species of 'exploding ant' discovered
4-20-2018
Capable of taking drastic action to protect their colonies, these ants have a rather unusual defense mechanism.
Missing Nazi submarine mystery finally solved
4-20-2018
The wreckage of one of Germany's most advanced U-boats has been discovered off the coast of Denmark.
Mutation helps Bajau people stay underwater
4-19-2018
In a rare case of natural selection in modern humans, the free-diving Bajau people have developed a larger spleen.
NASA teases plans for nuclear power in space
4-19-2018
The space agency will be revealing new details of its 'Kilopower' system at the beginning of next month.
Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA