Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Woman 'predicts the future' using asparagus

Posted on Monday, 8 January, 2018 | Comment icon 16 comments

Can asparagus tell the future ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Kylie solong
61-year-old Jemima Packington from Evesham, England claims to be the world's only known 'asparamancer'.
Move over Nostradamus - it turns out that the 16th-century seer, who has been credited with making several accurate predictions about the future, may have some contemporary competition.

Packington, who claims to have successfully predicted a number of events ranging from the financial crisis to British tennis champion Andy Murray winning Wimbledon, makes her predictions by throwing handfuls of asparagus in to the air and interpreting the way in which it lands on the ground.

"I take what I do seriously, but I never take myself seriously," she says. "When I cast the asparagus, it creates patterns and it is the patterns I interpret."

"I'm usually about 80% to 90% accurate with my predictions."

For 2018, her predictions include the stepping down of UK Prime Minister Theresa May, a spate of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions around the world, a string of political scandals and a significant downturn in the economies of several countries.

She also predicts that the US government will bring the world to the brink of major conflict.

"Occasionally I get one slightly off... but I'm never far off," she says.

Source: Angle News | Comments (16)

Tags: Asparagus

Comment icon #7 Posted by Lilly on 8 January, 2018, 20:48
And I'm a woman who can tell you why this happens! It's because asparagusic acid is metabolized into other sulfur-containing compounds, most specifically this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanethiol *science teachers can sorta tell the future too*
Comment icon #8 Posted by LV-426 on 8 January, 2018, 20:50
"For example, she said it would rain in the summer, and the UK ended up having the 11th wettest summer on record." Anyone who lives in Britain could have predicted this one... with or without mystic vegetables
Comment icon #9 Posted by joc on 8 January, 2018, 20:55
Who knew! I am in your debt for that jewel of wisdom!  ...hmmm highly flammable....note to self:
Comment icon #10 Posted by Lilly on 8 January, 2018, 20:59
Feel free to tell everyone...oh, and no flatulence near an open flame!
Comment icon #11 Posted by Timonthy on 9 January, 2018, 0:12
Where’s the fun in that!?
Comment icon #12 Posted by DebDandelion on 9 January, 2018, 4:38
You predicter you...
Comment icon #13 Posted by DebDandelion on 9 January, 2018, 4:40
It is like in SA where the ancestors of some  cultures throw bones to predict...every culture has something to contribute to the prediction era
Comment icon #14 Posted by DebDandelion on 9 January, 2018, 4:44
Can't get that picture out of my head of you going to the bathroom with a lit cigarette....and q the asparagus wee...oh my soul...it is funny in my head!
Comment icon #15 Posted by Sooth Sayer on 9 January, 2018, 6:01
Can someone please asparagus from this story?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 9 January, 2018, 7:18
That one almost have the same color and texture as Trumps hair...I predict that will continue...

Giant predatory worms have invaded France
5-22-2018
Scientists have warned that huge worms up to 40cm long have been silently invading French gardens.
$17B 'holy grail of shipwrecks' discovered
5-22-2018
The long-lost 300-year-old Spanish galleon was found with the help of an autonomous underwater vehicle.
Man 'being followed by a pig' calls the police
5-22-2018
Police in Ohio were shocked to discover that a call about a pig following a man home was actually genuine.
It's official - Hitler really did die in 1945
5-21-2018
A recent analysis of Hitler's teeth has confirmed once and for all that he did not fake his own death.
Can an artificial intelligence really think ?
Posted 5-22-2018 | 8 comments
AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 2 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Density ball
Posted 5-9-2018 | 0 comments
Michael takes a look at a ball with some rather unusual properties.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA