Sunday, November 18, 2018

Woman 'predicts the future' using asparagus

Posted on Monday, 8 January, 2018 | Comment icon 16 comments

Can asparagus tell the future ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Kylie solong
61-year-old Jemima Packington from Evesham, England claims to be the world's only known 'asparamancer'.
Move over Nostradamus - it turns out that the 16th-century seer, who has been credited with making several accurate predictions about the future, may have some contemporary competition.

Packington, who claims to have successfully predicted a number of events ranging from the financial crisis to British tennis champion Andy Murray winning Wimbledon, makes her predictions by throwing handfuls of asparagus in to the air and interpreting the way in which it lands on the ground.

"I take what I do seriously, but I never take myself seriously," she says. "When I cast the asparagus, it creates patterns and it is the patterns I interpret."

"I'm usually about 80% to 90% accurate with my predictions."

For 2018, her predictions include the stepping down of UK Prime Minister Theresa May, a spate of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions around the world, a string of political scandals and a significant downturn in the economies of several countries.

She also predicts that the US government will bring the world to the brink of major conflict.

"Occasionally I get one slightly off... but I'm never far off," she says.

Source: Angle News | Comments (16)

Tags: Asparagus

Comment icon #7 Posted by Lilly on 8 January, 2018, 20:48
And I'm a woman who can tell you why this happens! It's because asparagusic acid is metabolized into other sulfur-containing compounds, most specifically this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanethiol *science teachers can sorta tell the future too*
Comment icon #8 Posted by LV-426 on 8 January, 2018, 20:50
"For example, she said it would rain in the summer, and the UK ended up having the 11th wettest summer on record." Anyone who lives in Britain could have predicted this one... with or without mystic vegetables
Comment icon #9 Posted by joc on 8 January, 2018, 20:55
Who knew! I am in your debt for that jewel of wisdom!  ...hmmm highly flammable....note to self:
Comment icon #10 Posted by Lilly on 8 January, 2018, 20:59
Feel free to tell everyone...oh, and no flatulence near an open flame!
Comment icon #11 Posted by Timonthy on 9 January, 2018, 0:12
Where’s the fun in that!?
Comment icon #12 Posted by DebDandelion on 9 January, 2018, 4:38
You predicter you...
Comment icon #13 Posted by DebDandelion on 9 January, 2018, 4:40
It is like in SA where the ancestors of some  cultures throw bones to predict...every culture has something to contribute to the prediction era
Comment icon #14 Posted by DebDandelion on 9 January, 2018, 4:44
Can't get that picture out of my head of you going to the bathroom with a lit cigarette....and q the asparagus wee...oh my soul...it is funny in my head!
Comment icon #15 Posted by Sooth Sayer on 9 January, 2018, 6:01
Can someone please asparagus from this story?
Comment icon #16 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 9 January, 2018, 7:18
That one almost have the same color and texture as Trumps hair...I predict that will continue...

Lockheed begins work on new supersonic plane
11-17-2018
The futuristic X-59 will be able to travel at supersonic speeds without producing a deafening sonic boom.
Galaxy cluster looks like the USS Enterprise
11-17-2018
NASA has shared an image of a distant galaxy cluster that looks quite a bit like the iconic Star Trek vessel.
Wreck of missing Argentine sub discovered
11-17-2018
The ARA San Juan has finally been found twelve months after it went missing during a routine mission.
FBI recreates Alcatraz escapees' decoy heads
11-16-2018
The FBI has used 3D-printing to recreate the decoy heads used by three men to escape Alcatraz prison.
The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

Morse code
Posted 11-7-2018 | 4 comments
Michael takes a look at an obsolete messaging system that uses dots and dashes.

The colors of autumn
Posted 10-31-2018 | 1 comment
Taking a moment to appreciate the colors and atmosphere of autumn.

Faster than a calculator
Posted 10-26-2018 | 2 comments
'Mathemagician' Arthur Benjamin shows off his amazing mathematical skills.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York