Sunday, September 23, 2018

New fly is named after Arnold Schwarzenegger

Posted on Wednesday, 24 January, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

The fly has at least one thing in common with the former Mr Olympia. Image Credit: PD - RMY Auctions
A tiny fly with very strong forelegs has been named after one of the world's most famous bodybuilders.
Discovered by entomologist Brian Brown in the Amazon rainforest, the new species is in fact the world's smallest known fly and measures a miniscule 0.395mm in length.

Despite its tiny size however, the fly is also noted for having disproportionately muscular forelegs.

"As soon as I saw those bulging legs, I knew I had to name this one after Arnold," said Brown.

"Not only is he a major cultural icon and an important person in the political realm, his autobiography gave me some hope that I could improve my body as a skinny teenager."

The new species has since been named Megapropodiphora arnoldi.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (7)

Tags: Fly, Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment icon #1 Posted by Glockornothing on 25 January, 2018, 2:15
Was thinking a fly mated with it's maid (legal immigration status unknown), and had offspring which led to afly divorce andwas then discovered in a fly divorce court. Guess I was wrong.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Hawkin on 25 January, 2018, 3:40
Comment icon #3 Posted by Astra. on 25 January, 2018, 8:31
I wonder how Arnold Schwarzenegerfeels now, after having thehonour of a flybeing named after him ?...wow! I bet that's something he never expected.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Hawkin on 25 January, 2018, 10:43
There was a movie called Super Fly that was made in 1972. Maybe this will inspire him to do a remake.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Astra. on 25 January, 2018, 10:58
Comment icon #6 Posted by Nostrodumbass on 25 January, 2018, 11:56
Imagine when you try and swat it, it grabs your arm, throws you to the ground and buzzes off yelling over it's shoulder: "I'll be backzzz!"
Comment icon #7 Posted by LightAngel on 25 January, 2018, 15:04

Planet-hunting probe finds two new candidates
9-23-2018
A mere two months after beginning operations, NASA's TESS spacecraft has found two new extrasolar worlds.
Two-headed snake discovered in Virginia
9-23-2018
An 'extremely rare' adult copperhead snake with two heads was recently found in a garden in Woodbridge.
Optical illusion can determine how old you are
9-23-2018
According to researchers, your age group can be determined by how you initially interpret this image.
1,000ft spider web covers edge of Greek lagoon
9-22-2018
A vast stretch of vegetation next to Aitoliko Lagoon has become hidden beneath a huge mass of spider silk.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas