Wednesday, July 18, 2018

New fly is named after Arnold Schwarzenegger

Posted on Wednesday, 24 January, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

The fly has at least one thing in common with the former Mr Olympia. Image Credit: PD - RMY Auctions
A tiny fly with very strong forelegs has been named after one of the world's most famous bodybuilders.
Discovered by entomologist Brian Brown in the Amazon rainforest, the new species is in fact the world's smallest known fly and measures a miniscule 0.395mm in length.

Despite its tiny size however, the fly is also noted for having disproportionately muscular forelegs.

"As soon as I saw those bulging legs, I knew I had to name this one after Arnold," said Brown.

"Not only is he a major cultural icon and an important person in the political realm, his autobiography gave me some hope that I could improve my body as a skinny teenager."

The new species has since been named Megapropodiphora arnoldi.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (7)

Tags: Fly, Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment icon #1 Posted by Glockornothing on 25 January, 2018, 2:15
Was thinking a fly mated with it's maid (legal immigration status unknown), and had offspring which led to a fly divorce and was then discovered in a fly divorce court. Guess I was wrong.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Hawkin on 25 January, 2018, 3:40
Comment icon #3 Posted by Astra. on 25 January, 2018, 8:31
I wonder how Arnold Schwarzeneger feels now, after having the honour of a fly being named after him ?...wow! I bet that's something he never expected.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Hawkin on 25 January, 2018, 10:43
There was a movie called Super Fly that was made in 1972. Maybe this will inspire him to do a remake.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Astra. on 25 January, 2018, 10:58
Comment icon #6 Posted by Nostrodumbass on 25 January, 2018, 11:56
Imagine when you try and swat it, it grabs your arm, throws you to the ground and buzzes off yelling over it's shoulder: "I'll be backzzz!"
Comment icon #7 Posted by LightAngel on 25 January, 2018, 15:04

New geological era named the Meghalayan Age
7-18-2018
Scientists have announced that the last 4,200 years of Earth's history have been given an official name.
Twelve new moons discovered around Jupiter
7-17-2018
The discovery means that the gas giant has a total of 79 moons - more than any other planet in the solar system.
5,500-year-old tomb discovered in Ireland
7-17-2018
A megalithic tomb unearthed in County Meath has been described by archaeologists as the 'find of a lifetime'.
A quadrillion tons of diamond discovered
7-17-2018
Scientists have determined that there is 1,000 times more diamond beneath our feet than previously thought.
Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA