Tuesday, April 24, 2018

New fly is named after Arnold Schwarzenegger

Posted on Wednesday, 24 January, 2018 | Comment icon 7 comments

The fly has at least one thing in common with the former Mr Olympia. Image Credit: PD - RMY Auctions
A tiny fly with very strong forelegs has been named after one of the world's most famous bodybuilders.
Discovered by entomologist Brian Brown in the Amazon rainforest, the new species is in fact the world's smallest known fly and measures a miniscule 0.395mm in length.

Despite its tiny size however, the fly is also noted for having disproportionately muscular forelegs.

"As soon as I saw those bulging legs, I knew I had to name this one after Arnold," said Brown.

"Not only is he a major cultural icon and an important person in the political realm, his autobiography gave me some hope that I could improve my body as a skinny teenager."

The new species has since been named Megapropodiphora arnoldi.

Source: Phys.org | Comments (7)

Tags: Fly, Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment icon #1 Posted by Glockornothing on 25 January, 2018, 2:15
Was thinking a fly mated with it's maid (legal immigration status unknown), and had offspring which led to a fly divorce and was then discovered in a fly divorce court. Guess I was wrong.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Hawkin on 25 January, 2018, 3:40
Comment icon #3 Posted by Astra. on 25 January, 2018, 8:31
I wonder how Arnold Schwarzeneger feels now, after having the honour of a fly being named after him ?...wow! I bet that's something he never expected.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Hawkin on 25 January, 2018, 10:43
There was a movie called Super Fly that was made in 1972. Maybe this will inspire him to do a remake.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Astra. on 25 January, 2018, 10:58
Comment icon #6 Posted by Nostrodumbass on 25 January, 2018, 11:56
Imagine when you try and swat it, it grabs your arm, throws you to the ground and buzzes off yelling over it's shoulder: "I'll be backzzz!"
Comment icon #7 Posted by LightAngel on 25 January, 2018, 15:04

Uranus smells like rotten eggs, say scientists
4-23-2018
Hydrogen sulfide, which gives rotten eggs their smell, has been discovered in the seventh planet's atmosphere.
'Super Earth' aliens may be trapped by gravity
4-23-2018
On planets more massive than the Earth, launching things in to space will be a lot more challenging.
Bill Gates backs 'big brother' satellite network
4-23-2018
Known as EarthNow, the project aims to offer live streaming of the entire planet 24 hours a day.
Asteroid mining could be worth trillions
4-22-2018
According to Goldman Sachs, asteroid mining has the potential to produce the world's first trillionaires.
What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA