Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Flat-Earther blasts off in homemade rocket

Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2018 | Comment icon 35 comments

Despite its crudeness, Hughes' rocket actually worked. Image Credit: YouTube / Mike Hughes
The self-taught rocket scientist launched himself high in to the air over the Mojave Desert on Saturday.
Hughes, who describes himself as a 'daredevil', is certainly no stranger to madcap capers having previously broken his back twice while undertaking extreme stunt jumps in cars.

On Saturday however he carried out his most dangerous stunt yet by blasting off in his homemade steam-powered rocket in a bizarre attempt to prove that the Earth is flat.

He reached a top speed of around 350mph before opening his parachute and landing with a bump.

"Am I glad I did it? Yeah. I guess," he said. "I'll feel it in the morning. I won't be able to get out of bed. At least I can go home and have dinner and see my cats tonight."

Hughes is one of a seemingly growing number of people who believe that the Earth, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, is actually a flat disc.

"Do I believe the Earth is shaped like a Frisbee? I believe it is," he said.

"Do I know for sure? No. That's why I want to go up in space."

Source: Sky News | Comments (35)

Tags: Mike Hughes, Rocket, Flat Earth

Comment icon #26 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 26 March, 2018, 8:04
FE's, my brain actually hurts, when hearing about their theories. And I agree with earlier posts, why not just go on the ocean, take binoculars, and watch ships dip under the horizon ?
Comment icon #27 Posted by Myles on 26 March, 2018, 11:22
Pretty cools what he did. I have to think it was for the attention and thrill, not to see if the Earth was flat. He could've taken an airplane for that. I'm guessing he is using the flat Earth bit for attention. He's a smart guy.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Rlyeh on 26 March, 2018, 12:28
Testing? What is he testing at 570 metres up? He's doing this for entertainment and publicity.
Comment icon #29 Posted by pallidin on 27 March, 2018, 3:17
Fuel System: Check Environmental Conditions: Check I'm a Moron: Check
Comment icon #30 Posted by joc on 27 March, 2018, 12:53
I don't get how anyone in today's world could actually believe that the Earth is flat. Satellites?? Hello!!! Decades of documented proof of astronauts in a variety of space ships orbiting the Earth...pictures of Saturn, etc. from Voyager. The Hubble Telescope. Honestly, how completely Stupid does one have to be to believe that crap?!
Comment icon #31 Posted by Myles on 27 March, 2018, 14:18
Typically, I wouldn't call someone a "moron" for doing this. More power to him. Engineering the vehicle and having the guts to go for it IS impressive in my book. However, claiming to believe the Earth might be flat is nearly the definition of a "moron".
Comment icon #32 Posted by aztek on 27 March, 2018, 18:58
should have bought a plane ticket, it would get him higher, and for a lot longer, and a lot cheaper too.
Comment icon #33 Posted by paperdyer on 29 March, 2018, 17:46
It's been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator and dropping every year! Remember, no child left behind. This guy needs to just look at the way the Sun forms shadows. If the Earth was a frizbee, there'd be a big shift in the length as the Earth rotated around its edge to the front to back, correct?
Comment icon #34 Posted by Matt221 on 29 March, 2018, 18:51
You know people who have to much time on there hands well....
Comment icon #35 Posted by Captain Risky on 30 March, 2018, 6:34
...and money but even if dangerous it would be a cool thing to do.

Mars could have supported life underground
9-26-2018
A new study has revealed that ancient Mars had the right conditions to support subterranean microbes.
Pupils 'decontaminated' due to mystery stink
9-25-2018
Ten people from Wairarapa primary school in New Zealand were hospitalized due to a foul smell on Friday.
Japanese cafe to be staffed by robot waiters
9-25-2018
A cafe opening in Tokyo's Akasaka district will use robots controlled wirelessly by disabled operators.
Elon Musk reveals image of 'Mars Base Alpha'
9-25-2018
The ever-ambitious entrepreneur is aiming to construct a human colony on the Red Planet by as early as 2028.
Building a kendama
Posted 9-26-2018 | 1 comment
Adam Savage from MythBusters joins Michael Stevens from Vsauce to build a kendama.

Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

Swimming with lemon sharks
Posted 8-28-2018 | 1 comment
Steve Backshall gets up close to a group of deadly lemon sharks.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas