Friday, December 14, 2018

Flat-Earther blasts off in homemade rocket

Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2018 | Comment icon 35 comments

Despite its crudeness, Hughes' rocket actually worked. Image Credit: YouTube / Mike Hughes
The self-taught rocket scientist launched himself high in to the air over the Mojave Desert on Saturday.
Hughes, who describes himself as a 'daredevil', is certainly no stranger to madcap capers having previously broken his back twice while undertaking extreme stunt jumps in cars.

On Saturday however he carried out his most dangerous stunt yet by blasting off in his homemade steam-powered rocket in a bizarre attempt to prove that the Earth is flat.

He reached a top speed of around 350mph before opening his parachute and landing with a bump.

"Am I glad I did it? Yeah. I guess," he said. "I'll feel it in the morning. I won't be able to get out of bed. At least I can go home and have dinner and see my cats tonight."

Hughes is one of a seemingly growing number of people who believe that the Earth, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, is actually a flat disc.

"Do I believe the Earth is shaped like a Frisbee? I believe it is," he said.

"Do I know for sure? No. That's why I want to go up in space."

Source: Sky News | Comments (35)

Tags: Mike Hughes, Rocket, Flat Earth

Comment icon #26 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 26 March, 2018, 8:04
FE's, my brain actually hurts, when hearing about their theories. And I agree with earlier posts, why not just go on the ocean, take binoculars, and watch ships dip under the horizon ?
Comment icon #27 Posted by Myles on 26 March, 2018, 11:22
Pretty cools what he did.    I have to think it was for the attention and thrill, not to see if the Earth was flat.    He could've taken an airplane for that.   I'm guessing he is using the flat Earth bit for attention.   He's a smart guy.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Rlyeh on 26 March, 2018, 12:28
Testing? What is he testing at 570 metres up? He's doing this for entertainment and publicity.
Comment icon #29 Posted by pallidin on 27 March, 2018, 3:17
Fuel System: Check Environmental Conditions: Check I'm a Moron: Check
Comment icon #30 Posted by joc on 27 March, 2018, 12:53
I don't get how anyone in today's world could actually believe that the Earth is flat.   Satellites??  Hello!!!  Decades of documented proof of astronauts in a variety of space ships orbiting the Earth...pictures of Saturn, etc. from Voyager.  The Hubble Telescope.   Honestly, how completely Stupid does one have to be to believe that crap?!
Comment icon #31 Posted by Myles on 27 March, 2018, 14:18
Typically, I wouldn't call someone a "moron" for doing this.   More power to him.   Engineering the vehicle and having the guts to go for it IS impressive in my book. However, claiming to believe the Earth might be flat is nearly the definition of a "moron".
Comment icon #32 Posted by aztek on 27 March, 2018, 18:58
should have bought a plane ticket, it would get him higher, and  for a lot longer, and a lot cheaper too.
Comment icon #33 Posted by paperdyer on 29 March, 2018, 17:46
It's been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator and dropping every year!  Remember, no child left behind. This guy needs to just look at the way the Sun forms shadows.  If the Earth was a frizbee, there'd be a big shift in the length as the Earth rotated around its edge to the front to back, correct?
Comment icon #34 Posted by Matt221 on 29 March, 2018, 18:51
You know people who have to much time on there hands well....
Comment icon #35 Posted by Captain Risky on 30 March, 2018, 6:34
...and money but even if dangerous it would be a cool thing to do.

Was megalodon wiped out by a supernova ?
12-14-2018
A new study has suggested that the world's largest ever shark may have been wiped out by an exploding star.
'Dancing robot' turns out to be a man in a suit
12-13-2018
A recent segment on Russian state TV mistakenly reported on a 'high-tech robot' that was anything but.
Man claims to eat only once every three months
12-13-2018
'Breatharian' Khai Ho maintains that he is able to survive for months at a time on little more than air and sunlight.
Man photographs UFO over Kangaroo Island
12-13-2018
Andrew Isaacson had been visiting Australia's Cape Willoughby Lighthouse when the picture was taken.
Humboldt squid takes a bite
Posted 12-10-2018 | 1 comment
A look at what happened when Steve Backshall met a rather large Humboldt squid.

Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

Progress launch timelapse
Posted 11-24-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the recent launch of the Russian Progress MS-10 cargo spacecraft.

The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York