Sunday, January 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Bizarre

Flat-Earther blasts off in homemade rocket

March 25, 2018 | Comment icon 34 comments

Despite its crudeness, Hughes' rocket actually worked. Image Credit: YouTube / Mike Hughes
The self-taught rocket scientist launched himself high in to the air over the Mojave Desert on Saturday.
Hughes, who describes himself as a 'daredevil', is certainly no stranger to madcap capers having previously broken his back twice while undertaking extreme stunt jumps in cars.

On Saturday however he carried out his most dangerous stunt yet by blasting off in his homemade steam-powered rocket in a bizarre attempt to prove that the Earth is flat.

He reached a top speed of around 350mph before opening his parachute and landing with a bump.
"Am I glad I did it? Yeah. I guess," he said. "I'll feel it in the morning. I won't be able to get out of bed. At least I can go home and have dinner and see my cats tonight."

Hughes is one of a seemingly growing number of people who believe that the Earth, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, is actually a flat disc.

"Do I believe the Earth is shaped like a Frisbee? I believe it is," he said.

"Do I know for sure? No. That's why I want to go up in space."

Source: Sky News | Comments (34)

Comment icon #25 Posted by Aardvark-DK 4 years ago
FE's, my brain actually hurts, when hearing about their theories. And I agree with earlier posts, why not just go on the ocean, take binoculars, and watch ships dip under the horizon ?
Comment icon #26 Posted by Myles 4 years ago
Pretty cools what he did. I have to think it was for the attention and thrill, not to see if the Earth was flat. He could've taken an airplane for that. I'm guessing he is using the flat Earth bit for attention. He's a smart guy.
Comment icon #27 Posted by Rlyeh 4 years ago
Testing? What is he testing at 570 metres up? He's doing this for entertainment and publicity.
Comment icon #28 Posted by pallidin 4 years ago
Fuel System: Check Environmental Conditions: Check I'm a Moron: Check
Comment icon #29 Posted by joc 4 years ago
I don't get how anyone in today's world could actually believe that the Earth is flat. Satellites?? Hello!!! Decades of documented proof of astronauts in a variety of space ships orbiting the Earth...pictures of Saturn, etc. from Voyager. The Hubble Telescope. Honestly, how completely Stupid does one have to be to believe that crap?!
Comment icon #30 Posted by Myles 4 years ago
Typically, I wouldn't call someone a "moron" for doing this. More power to him. Engineering the vehicle and having the guts to go for it IS impressive in my book. However, claiming to believe the Earth might be flat is nearly the definition of a "moron".
Comment icon #31 Posted by aztek 4 years ago
should have bought a plane ticket, it would get him higher, and for a lot longer, and a lot cheaper too.
Comment icon #32 Posted by paperdyer 4 years ago
It's been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator and dropping every year! Remember, no child left behind. This guy needs to just look at the way the Sun forms shadows. If the Earth was a frizbee, there'd be a big shift in the length as the Earth rotated around its edge to the front to back, correct?
Comment icon #33 Posted by Matt221 4 years ago
You know people who have to much time on there hands well....
Comment icon #34 Posted by Captain Risky 4 years ago
...and money but even if dangerous it would be a cool thing to do.

Total Posts: 7,210,764    Topics: 295,724    Members: 195,193