Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Viking sunstones may have actually worked

Posted on Friday, 6 April, 2018 | Comment icon 6 comments

Did the Vikings use sunstones to reach Greenland ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Wolfmann
A mysterious form of navigation referenced in early Viking literature may have genuinely existed.
The Vikings were undeniably skilled seafarers, having traveled all the way to Greenland as well as to North America in the late 10th century. Without access to compasses to guide them however, these ancient Scandinavians needed to rely on alternative forms of navigation to cross the sea.

One navigational tool that was mentioned in several Viking sagas from the time was the 'sunstone' - an object that could ascertain the position of the Sun even through dense clouds or snow.

Once dismissed as a thing of legend, this mysterious stone is now believed to have been a genuine navigational tool made from a carbonate mineral known as calcite (or Icelandic spar).
Recent experiments have shown that when held up at just the right angle, this material can help to accurately pinpoint the location of the Sun even under cloudy or twilight conditions.

With it, Viking seafarers could have certainly made their way over 1,600 miles of sea to Greenland.

"Nobody knows whether the Vikings really used this method," wrote archaeologist Gabor Horvath.

"However, if they did, they could navigate with it precisely."

Source: Ars Technica | Comments (6)

Tags: Viking, Sunstones

Comment icon #1 Posted by Taun on 4 April, 2018, 15:31
I had always thought that the Norse use of sunstones was a settled issue...
Comment icon #2 Posted by DebDandelion on 4 April, 2018, 15:36
I have to ask. Boat that we see in pic or the stone navigator?
Comment icon #3 Posted by Piney on 4 April, 2018, 15:47
The sun stone itself. I use a compass instead of a GPS and I think it would be interesting to toy with.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Taun on 5 April, 2018, 0:23
That would be cool Piney... But I want to build a long ship, and put it on a nearby lake... Then my buddies and I can raid the picnicers and make off with their bar-b-q and beer... Our legal defense could be that we were just living according to our heritage (I'm sure theirs some "viking" blood in me somewhere...) (we wouldn't hurt anyone, though - we would use nerf weapons)
Comment icon #5 Posted by Piney on 5 April, 2018, 0:34
We did that with canoes on the Wading River as kids but we used Supersoakers.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Ozfactor on 7 April, 2018, 5:36

US Army signs deal to exploit 'UFO technology'
10-22-2019
The military has teamed up with Tom DeLonge's 'To The Stars' group to study alleged UFO 'metamaterials'.
Mystery surrounds London's 'Havering Hoard'
10-21-2019
An 'extraordinary' cache of Bronze Age weapons found in London has left experts scratching their heads.
45% of Americans believe in paranormal entities
10-21-2019
A new YouGov poll has revealed how many Americans believe in the existence of supernatural beings.
Britain's twelve most haunted roads revealed
10-21-2019
Motoring experts have compiled a list of twelve sinister roadways with a penchant for paranormal activity.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ