Thursday, June 21, 2018

Glasses wearers are smarter, new study claims

Posted on Thursday, 31 May, 2018 | Comment icon 26 comments

Are glasses-wearers really more intelligent ? Image Credit: Jiri Hodan
Researchers have determined that intelligent people are 30 percent more likely to have eyesight problems.
The University of Edinburgh study, which was the largest of its kind ever conducted, analyzed cognitive and genetic data from over 300,000 people above the age of 16.

The results reportedly found "significant genetic overlap between general cognitive function, reaction time, and many health variables including eyesight, hypertension, and longevity."

In addition to having a 30% higher chance of needing to wear glasses, more intelligent individuals were also found to have a lower chance of suffering from a range of health conditions.

It's certainly true that wearing glasses may make someone seem more intelligent and dependable, which is the reason why some defense lawyers have their clients wear glasses during a trial.

"Glasses soften their appearance so that they don't look capable of committing a crime," said lawyer Harvey Slovis. "I've tried cases where there's been a tremendous amount of evidence, but my client wore glasses and got acquitted. The glasses create a kind of unspoken nerd defense."

As for the results of the study however, if there really is a link, the reason for it remains unclear.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (26)

Tags: Glasses, Intelligence

Comment icon #17 Posted by XenoFish on 17 June, 2018, 12:35
That depends. I can see about 20 foot no problem. Anything past that is 'drunk vision'. So I think I'd be fine. Just don't let me drive.
Comment icon #18 Posted by markdohle on 17 June, 2018, 12:52
That goes without saying
Comment icon #19 Posted by The Silver Thong on 17 June, 2018, 15:01
So for10 bucks I can become more smarter lol I see these fake glasses every day. They make dumb look smart. https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/nerd-glasses
Comment icon #20 Posted by XenoFish on 17 June, 2018, 15:11
Corrected that for you.
Comment icon #21 Posted by The Silver Thong on 17 June, 2018, 15:16
I did that on purposees oh wait let me get my glasses ohhhhh I mean on purpose lol
Comment icon #22 Posted by XenoFish on 17 June, 2018, 15:22
I am
Comment icon #23 Posted by The Silver Thong on 17 June, 2018, 15:34
Crap now I have to to wall mart to get smarter. Sorry hadto do it.
Comment icon #24 Posted by psyche101 on 19 June, 2018, 0:35
Its not the problem itself, more so that its common after 40 when most people have seen a lot of life and have attained a certain level of wisdom though experience. That just seems more logical than the basic correlation of glasses=smarter.
Comment icon #25 Posted by spartan max2 on 19 June, 2018, 1:11
You are making the assumption that larger brain = more intellgence.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Scarlatti on 21 June, 2018, 7:56
Not exactly new information. More than 30-40 years it was noted that those people with more qualifications had a greater tendency to wear glasses because they read more and damaged their eyes. If someone has a higher IQ one could guess that person might want to read about more things and therefore have a greater likelihood of needing glasses.

NASA reveals its new asteroid protection plan
6-21-2018
A new 18-page document outlines how NASA and FEMA will approach the threat of an apocalyptic asteroid strike.
Tyrannosaurus rex couldn't stick out its tongue
6-21-2018
Researchers have revealed that the terrifying therapod had a tongue that was anchored to its mouth.
Could intelligent aliens move entire stars ?
6-20-2018
A new theory suggests that an intelligent alien civilization may try to collect and store stars for energy.
Ancient fossil yields oldest ever panda DNA
6-20-2018
Researchers have identified a long-lost panda relative from DNA that was retrieved from an ancient jaw bone.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 1 comment
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA