Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Why do we tend to like bees but hate wasps ?

Posted on Wednesday, 19 September, 2018 | Comment icon 27 comments

Wasps are just as important as bees. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Richard Bartz
A new study has revealed that most people seem to appreciate bees but find wasps annoying and dangerous.
There is certainly no denying that both wasps and bees can be a real nuisance at times, especially when they fly in an open window during the summer and buzz mercilessly around the room.

According to a recent study however, it seems that while we tend to hate wasps, our general attitude towards bees is actually a lot more favorable.

For the research, 750 participants from 46 countries were asked to rate both groups of insects out of five while also describing some of the words that sprung to mind when they thought of each one.

Most of the participants rated bees a three or above while using words such as "honey", "flowers" and "pollination" to describe them. Wasps, by contrast, received a much lower score, with most people associating them with words such as "sting" and "dangerous."

The study authors are now hoping to quell the idea that wasps are little more than a nuisance.

"People don't realize how incredibly valuable they are," said study leader Dr Seirian Sumner from University College London. "Although you might think they are after your beer or jam sandwich - they are, in fact, much more interested in finding insect prey to take back to their nest to feed their lavae."

Source: BBC News | Comments (27)

Tags: Wasps, Bees

Comment icon #18 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 22 September, 2018, 9:11
having had many hives of bees as I grew up (I helped my father work those hives but they were considered mine because I took the year of college) I have a theory, bees make honey and almost all humans and many other mammals, like honey, and the second reason is bumble bees and honey bees can only sting once while anyone who can tell the difference in the stings or bugs will tell you hornets and wasps and blackjacks and almost all those others can sting repeatedly without dying, I have stood in a swarm of many thousands of bees and not gotten stung, and have placed my foot in a ground burrow ye... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by fred_mc on 22 September, 2018, 9:18
I think I never see any bees but I see bumblebees sometimes and I largely like them. Bumblebees can be annoying too though, if they build a nest in the wrong place. Many years ago, they built a nest under my parents' outdoor room. There were huge amounts of bumblebees flying up between the floor planks, then they were quite annoying. Wasps are always annoying I think and they always build nests in the wrong place I think, like in my garden shed last year, and under my†roof this year.
Comment icon #20 Posted by NicoletteS on 23 September, 2018, 7:16
I don't know i was never actually stung by the bald faced hornets but being chased by them and hearing they can squirt venom in your eyes and blind you is a little frightening as a kid are there any others that can project thier poison?
Comment icon #21 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 23 September, 2018, 23:05
While I am not going to say that there is no such bug as a hornet/wasp/ bee that can squirt venom I will say that I have never heard of or seen any such wasp/hornet. Personally I think it was just a story used to scare children but I suppose I could be wrong About that. I have been stung many times by bald faced hornets, ( which are commonly called† yellow jackets or yellow hornets around here)
Comment icon #22 Posted by MWoo7 on 23 September, 2018, 23:54
In great forests one knows the difference between nasty bleeep black HORNETS and the rest believe me when you walk in on one of their nests out there you are like STOP okay did they notice no, keep looking but thinking I HAD BETTER GET THE BLEEP OUT OF HERE ! Or sometimes you are too dumb and notice them on your hand or hair and you run like hell but they still get you no matter what, those hornets can be b*******! oops oh well its true!
Comment icon #23 Posted by Katniss on 24 September, 2018, 3:00
I'm highly allergic to the venom from either bees or wasps. Whenever they sting me my skin swells up so bad. I really don't like either of them.
Comment icon #24 Posted by rashore on 24 September, 2018, 3:38
I love bees, we have a variety of natives around here from big bumbles and carpenters to tiny Goldenís and greens. I love a few of the wasps around here too and encourage them to hang out. Braconid and paper wasps are particular favorites. Yellow jackets and hornets are jerks that I donít allow around the house or garden, but leave them be to do their job on the rest of the property.†
Comment icon #25 Posted by NicoletteS on 24 September, 2018, 5:57
I think you are just getting a little mixed up. Bald faced hornets are the white and black ones and yes theu do project venom. They are clearly not yellow jackets or yellow hornets as they are white.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Coil on 24 September, 2018, 10:28
In the past years and now farmers are cultivating fields with some kind of cheap herbicide instead of normal and the bees massively died out in almost all the hives of people. They were simply shoveled and collected in bags. The bees were sent for examination to determine from what and who but the court's decisions are not. Farmers themselves do not want to pay compensation by motivating that if the field belongs to him then he does whatever he wants on it. https://ru-clip.net/video/MF8xsO8tMsY/??????????-????-?-???????-???????.html
Comment icon #27 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 25 September, 2018, 5:35
that was what I once thought too but I was told different by several people. including an exterminator and a couple of the local beekeepers so I changed my way of thinking. of coarse this was long after I finally got rid of my† hives due to physical problems. I have to wonder if the difference is regional.†

Parrot orders shopping using Amazon Alexa
12-18-2018
A parrot named Rocco has been driving his owner up the wall by ordering items using Amazon's voice assistant.
Distant solar system object 'Farout' discovered
12-18-2018
Astronomers have identified the farthest known object in our solar system at a distance of 11 billion miles.
China and Russia modify Earth's atmosphere
12-17-2018
The two world powers have reportedly been working together on a series of controversial experiments.
Prehistoric feathers found preserved in amber
12-17-2018
Scientists have discovered some rather unusual feathers within pieces of amber dating back 100 million years.
The logistics of climbing Everest
Posted 12-16-2018 | 2 comments
A look at what it really takes to reach the summit of Mt. Everest.

Humboldt squid takes a bite
Posted 12-10-2018 | 1 comment
A look at what happened when Steve Backshall met a rather large Humboldt squid.

Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

Progress launch timelapse
Posted 11-24-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the recent launch of the Russian Progress MS-10 cargo spacecraft.

The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York