Thursday, October 18, 2018

Why do we tend to like bees but hate wasps ?

Posted on Wednesday, 19 September, 2018 | Comment icon 27 comments

Wasps are just as important as bees. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.5 Richard Bartz
A new study has revealed that most people seem to appreciate bees but find wasps annoying and dangerous.
There is certainly no denying that both wasps and bees can be a real nuisance at times, especially when they fly in an open window during the summer and buzz mercilessly around the room.

According to a recent study however, it seems that while we tend to hate wasps, our general attitude towards bees is actually a lot more favorable.

For the research, 750 participants from 46 countries were asked to rate both groups of insects out of five while also describing some of the words that sprung to mind when they thought of each one.

Most of the participants rated bees a three or above while using words such as "honey", "flowers" and "pollination" to describe them. Wasps, by contrast, received a much lower score, with most people associating them with words such as "sting" and "dangerous."

The study authors are now hoping to quell the idea that wasps are little more than a nuisance.

"People don't realize how incredibly valuable they are," said study leader Dr Seirian Sumner from University College London. "Although you might think they are after your beer or jam sandwich - they are, in fact, much more interested in finding insect prey to take back to their nest to feed their lavae."

Source: BBC News | Comments (27)

Tags: Wasps, Bees

Comment icon #18 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 22 September, 2018, 9:11
having had many hives of bees as I grew up (I helped my father work those hives but they were considered mine because I took the year of college) I have a theory, bees make honey and almost all humans and many other mammals, like honey, and the second reason is bumble bees and honey bees can only sting once while anyone who can tell the difference in the stings or bugs will tell you hornets and wasps and blackjacks and almost all those others can sting repeatedly without dying, I have stood in a swarm of many thousands of bees and not gotten stung, and have placed my foot in a ground burrow ye... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by fred_mc on 22 September, 2018, 9:18
I think I never see any bees but I see bumblebees sometimes and I largely like them. Bumblebees can be annoying too though, if they build a nest in the wrong place. Many years ago, they built a nest under my parents' outdoor room. There were huge amounts of bumblebees flying up between the floor planks, then they were quite annoying. Wasps are always annoying I think and they always build nests in the wrong place I think, like in my garden shed last year, and under my roof this year.
Comment icon #20 Posted by NicoletteS on 23 September, 2018, 7:16
I don't know i was never actually stung by the bald faced hornets but being chased by them and hearing they can squirt venom in your eyes and blind you is a little frightening as a kid are there any others that can project thier poison?
Comment icon #21 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 23 September, 2018, 23:05
While I am not going to say that there is no such bug as a hornet/wasp/ bee that can squirt venom I will say that I have never heard of or seen any such wasp/hornet. Personally I think it was just a story used to scare children but I suppose I could be wrong About that. I have been stung many times by bald faced hornets, ( which are commonly called  yellow jackets or yellow hornets around here)
Comment icon #22 Posted by MWoo7 on 23 September, 2018, 23:54
In great forests one knows the difference between nasty bleeep black HORNETS and the rest believe me when you walk in on one of their nests out there you are like STOP okay did they notice no, keep looking but thinking I HAD BETTER GET THE BLEEP OUT OF HERE ! Or sometimes you are too dumb and notice them on your hand or hair and you run like hell but they still get you no matter what, those hornets can be b*******! oops oh well its true!
Comment icon #23 Posted by Katniss on 24 September, 2018, 3:00
I'm highly allergic to the venom from either bees or wasps. Whenever they sting me my skin swells up so bad. I really don't like either of them.
Comment icon #24 Posted by rashore on 24 September, 2018, 3:38
I love bees, we have a variety of natives around here from big bumbles and carpenters to tiny Golden’s and greens. I love a few of the wasps around here too and encourage them to hang out. Braconid and paper wasps are particular favorites. Yellow jackets and hornets are jerks that I don’t allow around the house or garden, but leave them be to do their job on the rest of the property.
Comment icon #25 Posted by NicoletteS on 24 September, 2018, 5:57
I think you are just getting a little mixed up. Bald faced hornets are the white and black ones and yes theu do project venom. They are clearly not yellow jackets or yellow hornets as they are white.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Coil on 24 September, 2018, 10:28
In the past years and now farmers are cultivating fields with some kind of cheap herbicide instead of normal and the bees massively died out in almost all the hives of people. They were simply shoveled and collected in bags. The bees were sent for examination to determine from what and who but the court's decisions are not. Farmers themselves do not want to pay compensation by motivating that if the field belongs to him then he does whatever he wants on it. https://ru-clip.net/video/MF8xsO8tMsY/??????????-????-?-???????-???????.html
Comment icon #27 Posted by mysticwerewolf on 25 September, 2018, 5:35
that was what I once thought too but I was told different by several people. including an exterminator and a couple of the local beekeepers so I changed my way of thinking. of coarse this was long after I finally got rid of my  hives due to physical problems. I have to wonder if the difference is regional.

City to replace lights with 'artificial moon'
10-17-2018
The Chinese city of Chengdu is working on a novel space-age solution to illuminating its streets at night.
NASA should be looking for ET, say scientists
10-17-2018
A new report has suggested that searching for evidence of alien life should be part of all future space missions.
McLaren unveils mind-controlled F1 car concept
10-17-2018
The motorsport giant has released a concept video of a true next-generation vehicle known as the MP4-X.
Hawking's final book answers the big questions
10-16-2018
The late physicist's last book, which was published today, attempts to answer the biggest questions of them all.
How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 2 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

The man who climbed Everest 21 times
Posted 9-27-2018 | 0 comments
Apa Sherpa holds the world record for the most ascents of the world's tallest mountain.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas