Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Optical illusion can determine how old you are

Posted on Sunday, 23 September, 2018 | Comment icon 23 comments

Do you see a young or an old woman ? Image Credit: PD - William Ely Hill
According to researchers, your age group can be determined by how you initially interpret this image.
One of the world's best known optical illusions, this age-old drawing is what's known as a 'double image' because your brain can interpret it in two very different ways.

In a recent study, two psychology professors at Flinders University, Australia, showed this picture to 393 participants between the ages of 16 and 68 and asked them what they could see.

Surprisingly, the results indicated that the younger the observer, the more likely the chance of seeing a young woman in the image. The older the observer, the greater the tendency to see an old woman.

While it is possible to see both if you look at the image long enough, the study focused on which of the two interpretations each participant saw within the first half-second of viewing the picture.

The study aimed to determine if the own-age biases of the participants affected what they could see.

"What we found was that young people tended to see the young lady in the image, whereas with older people they tended to see the old lady," said Professor Mike Nicholls.

What did you see when you first viewed the picture ? Can you see both interpretations ?

Source: Lad Bible | Comments (23)

Tags: Optical Illusion

Comment icon #14 Posted by OverSword on 24 September, 2018, 1:18
When I saw the cropped image on the front page I thought it was an ol woman. When I clicked in and saw the entire picture it was clearly young. Too bad I saw the cropped version now I’ll never know.
Comment icon #15 Posted by tcgram on 24 September, 2018, 1:22
I saw the young lady first, then the older lady and I'm old enough to have a 30 yr old.
Comment icon #16 Posted by carolinacottontail on 24 September, 2018, 4:04
Saw both! Girl and Crone. 69 years young!
Comment icon #17 Posted by kobolds on 24 September, 2018, 15:54
I don't get it , I only see young women , where's the old women ? and i 50
Comment icon #18 Posted by Calibeliever on 25 September, 2018, 19:25
Same here. I came to the comments hoping someone could point the old woman out to me. I can't see it... and I'm oooold.
Comment icon #19 Posted by TripGun on 26 September, 2018, 17:05
I see them both at the same time. What's happening to me!!
Comment icon #20 Posted by Calibeliever on 26 September, 2018, 17:14
Finally saw it. The necklace is the old woman's mouth and the bottom of the neckline is her chin. hth
Comment icon #21 Posted by LucidElement on 29 September, 2018, 5:32
So many of these great optical illusions . I?m 33 saw the younger then older, but I?ve seem that picture years ago. Those are always fun. Remember those magic eye books?
Comment icon #22 Posted by GoldenRabbit on 2 October, 2018, 1:58
I seen the old woman first but i can also see the younger lady as well but it seems my brain wants to see the old lady if i focus on looking at the young lady i keep reverting back to only seeing the old lady. Very interesting optical illusion im 45 years old
Comment icon #23 Posted by Blizno on 4 October, 2018, 15:17
I saw the young woman first and the old woman a bit later. I'm 63.

CIA experimented with mind-controlled dogs
12-12-2018
Newly declassified documents have revealed the CIA's efforts to control dogs through electrical brain stimulation.
Factory spills liquid chocolate all over the road
12-12-2018
Firefighters in the town of Werl in Germany were tasked with cleaning up a huge chocolate spill earlier this week.
Dracula ant snaps its jaws shut at 200mph
12-12-2018
The animal with the world's fastest moving appendage has been revealed to be a tiny ant with a lethal jaw.
'Zombie' bacteria found deep beneath the Earth
12-11-2018
Scientists have revealed that an incredibly large amount of life exists in our planet's deep subsurface.
Humboldt squid takes a bite
Posted 12-10-2018 | 1 comment
A look at what happened when Steve Backshall met a rather large Humboldt squid.

Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

Progress launch timelapse
Posted 11-24-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the recent launch of the Russian Progress MS-10 cargo spacecraft.

The unique wildlife of the Cairngorms
Posted 11-16-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the breathtaking snowy wilds of Scotland's Cairngorm Mountains.

The last reef of the Galapagos
Posted 11-12-2018 | 0 comments
A look at the enigmatic world that lies beneath the ocean off the Galapagos Islands.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York