Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Spiders filmed hanging in the sky over Brazil

Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2019 | Comment icon 19 comments

As if spiders on the ground weren't bad enough... Image Credit: Facebook / Cecilia Juninho Fonseca
The eerie phenomenon, which can occur during hot, humid weather, is an arachnophobe's worst nightmare.
For anyone who is terrified of spiders, Brazil can be a stressful place to visit at the best of times.

In this latest footage however, hundreds of spiders can be seen, not on the ground, but above it.

The deeply unnerving spectacle was filmed by Joao Pedro Martinelli Fonseca who had been traveling with his family to visit his grandparents' farm around 250km north-east of Sao Paulo.

He described being "stunned and scared" after noticing that the sky was full of tiny black dots.

"There were many more webs and spiders than you can see in the video," said his grandmother. "We've seen this before, always at dusk on days when it's been really hot."

According to experts, the species - parawixia bistriata - is a rare type of 'social' spider that builds a huge interconnected web so thin that it's almost impossible to see against the sky.

The result is a colony of arachnids that appear to be floating in mid-air.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (19)

Tags: Spider, Brazil

Comment icon #10 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:04
Farmer, If you have the cash, check out a Norvise system. It is an astounding fly tying vice. Even comes with a self retracting bobbin. It spins deer hair, and makes dubbing a pleasure. It's got bearings in it to allow free spinning. Its pretty expensive at about $600 Canadian, but it is the best and fastest vice I have ever used. You can even quick dry the head cement by giving the vice a free wheel spin. Just buying the retractable bobbin will make you 50-60% faster and more efficient. I believe it also comes with a  lifetime guarantee.  Check it out. https://www.google.com/search?q=norvise+... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:32
Man ill never forget the first time i saw someone using one of those at a trade show I think I spent an hour drooling while a dude whipped out b***** after b*****. Sadly Im so broke I was very excited to find that Cabelas has a rotary in the 45 dollar range the other day.  I just cant see me ever being able to justify the price tag on the norvise. Plus with my tying skills the vice would probably reject me
Comment icon #12 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:40
Haha it edited b*****, as in wooly b***** :
Comment icon #13 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:42
Seems were in the same boat. I sold mine long ago when I broke my back. I ended up buying a cheaper Renzetti later to tie steelhead flies.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:43
Add more purple to that bad boy and watch out.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:45
So I started a threat on it at the time and the auction is over but did you get a chance to look through the Lefty Kreh estate sale?  I know literally zero fisherman so I havent been able to share with anyone, this is cool as hell Lefty Kreh Estate
Comment icon #16 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:49
I followed lefty for years. His flys were a work of art and set a standard that's hard to beat. His steelhead fly silhouettes are things of beauty. Great link Farmer. Thanks.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 1:19
P.m sent
Comment icon #18 Posted by Escalus Drax on 11 February, 2019, 1:54
I think I will thoroughly pass on visiting this nightmare-come-true.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Impedancer on 11 February, 2019, 2:18
Flying spiders is nothing new to me i sometimes wonder what airborne division they came with probably the ghost division..I've heard that they get airborne by using electricity not only the wind since they also have been observed in windless conditions apparently naturally occurring electromagnetic fields can trigger this process and provide lift and velocity, It sounds totally bananas to me no wonder all the hairs on your body stands when you see a spider.

Wolverine's healing may soon become a reality
3-26-2019
The extreme healing of the adamantium-clawed comic book mutant may not be as far fetched as it seems.
'Sleeping Beauty' naps for weeks at a time
3-25-2019
A woman with a rare sleeping disorder can sometimes spend weeks sleeping up to 22 hours a day.
NASA reveals details of Mars 2020 helicopter
3-25-2019
The tiny chopper is set to become the first man-made aerial vehicle to fly through the skies of another world.
Earth could be under 'galactic quarantine'
3-25-2019
An international group of scientists met in Paris last week to discuss why we have yet to encounter alien life.
Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 2 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

Winter solstice hooded figures