Thursday, January 17, 2019

Spiders filmed hanging in the sky over Brazil

Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2019 | Comment icon 17 comments

As if spiders on the ground weren't bad enough... Image Credit: Facebook / Cecilia Juninho Fonseca
The eerie phenomenon, which can occur during hot, humid weather, is an arachnophobe's worst nightmare.
For anyone who is terrified of spiders, Brazil can be a stressful place to visit at the best of times.

In this latest footage however, hundreds of spiders can be seen, not on the ground, but above it.

The deeply unnerving spectacle was filmed by Joao Pedro Martinelli Fonseca who had been traveling with his family to visit his grandparents' farm around 250km north-east of Sao Paulo.

He described being "stunned and scared" after noticing that the sky was full of tiny black dots.

"There were many more webs and spiders than you can see in the video," said his grandmother. "We've seen this before, always at dusk on days when it's been really hot."

According to experts, the species - parawixia bistriata - is a rare type of 'social' spider that builds a huge interconnected web so thin that it's almost impossible to see against the sky.

The result is a colony of arachnids that appear to be floating in mid-air.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (17)

Tags: Spider, Brazil

Comment icon #8 Posted by Hankenhunter on 13 January, 2019, 5:48
Ive been fly fishing since I was 10. Mind you back then we used to hogtie horseflies to a hook with 10 ought thread. We called it flogging horseys.  *adjusts onion belt before continuing* Since then my technique has improved greatly. Now a days, I mostly fly fish for steelhead and small ponds for endless trout. I used to tie flies commercially, but too many years with a chain saw in my hands put and end to that. I do enjoy teaching and passing on the art. My son has surpassed me in skill so I am content,other than my continuing quest to ice fish a trout with a dry fly. Alas, Ive been unsuccess... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by Farmer77 on 13 January, 2019, 5:59
Very nice, gotta say im jealous! I grew up chasing trout, dolly and grayling in AK but due to health reasons have been doing the warmwater thing for a couple of years now. Bass suck, I mean they're fun cuz theyre easy to catch but meh, believe it or not fly fishing for carp has become my passion as of late. They are hands down the hardest freshwater fish to catch on a fly and they fight like a semi truck.  In fact I want to head to your neck of the woods (kinda) and fish them in the Columbia this spring. I tie my own as well never professional quality though, but I can sympathize with the hand... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:04
Farmer, If you have the cash, check out a Norvise system. It is an astounding fly tying vice. Even comes with a self retracting bobbin. It spins deer hair, and makes dubbing a pleasure. It's got bearings in it to allow free spinning. Its pretty expensive at about $600 Canadian, but it is the best and fastest vice I have ever used. You can even quick dry the head cement by giving the vice a free wheel spin. Just buying the retractable bobbin will make you 50-60% faster and more efficient. I believe it also comes with a  lifetime guarantee.  Check it out. https://www.google.com/search?q=norvise+... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:32
Man ill never forget the first time i saw someone using one of those at a trade show I think I spent an hour drooling while a dude whipped out b***** after b*****. Sadly Im so broke I was very excited to find that Cabelas has a rotary in the 45 dollar range the other day.  I just cant see me ever being able to justify the price tag on the norvise. Plus with my tying skills the vice would probably reject me
Comment icon #12 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:40
Haha it edited b*****, as in wooly b***** :
Comment icon #13 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:42
Seems were in the same boat. I sold mine long ago when I broke my back. I ended up buying a cheaper Renzetti later to tie steelhead flies.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:43
Add more purple to that bad boy and watch out.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:45
So I started a threat on it at the time and the auction is over but did you get a chance to look through the Lefty Kreh estate sale?  I know literally zero fisherman so I havent been able to share with anyone, this is cool as hell Lefty Kreh Estate
Comment icon #16 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:49
I followed lefty for years. His flys were a work of art and set a standard that's hard to beat. His steelhead fly silhouettes are things of beauty. Great link Farmer. Thanks.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 1:19
P.m sent

Fisherman claims to have seen MH370 crash
1-17-2019
A man whose crew allegedly witnessed the plane going down has provided investigators with the co-ordinates.
Can a DNA test determine your life expectancy ?
1-17-2019
Scientists in Edinburgh have developed a DNA risk score system to predict how long a person might live.
Dispute erupts over Egyptian pyramid stone
1-16-2019
Egypt has condemned plans to display a stone from the Great Pyramid of Giza at a museum in Edinburgh.
Next hadron collider to be four times larger
1-16-2019
Scientists at CERN are planning a successor to the Large Hadron Collider with ten times the power.
Which is correct - math or maths ?
Posted 1-10-2019 | 2 comments
For years, there has been some confusion over the shorthand of the word 'mathematics'.

How fast does glass crack ?
Posted 12-31-2018 | 5 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment in their back yard.

The most mind-blowing space discoveries
Posted 12-28-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of mankind's greatest space-related discoveries.

The origins of Christmas
Posted 12-22-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at the origins of several modern Christmas traditions.

The logistics of climbing Everest
Posted 12-16-2018 | 2 comments
A look at what it really takes to reach the summit of Mt. Everest.

Johannesburg Men in Black