Thursday, June 27, 2019

Spiders filmed hanging in the sky over Brazil

Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2019 | Comment icon 19 comments

As if spiders on the ground weren't bad enough... Image Credit: Facebook / Cecilia Juninho Fonseca
The eerie phenomenon, which can occur during hot, humid weather, is an arachnophobe's worst nightmare.
For anyone who is terrified of spiders, Brazil can be a stressful place to visit at the best of times.

In this latest footage however, hundreds of spiders can be seen, not on the ground, but above it.

The deeply unnerving spectacle was filmed by Joao Pedro Martinelli Fonseca who had been traveling with his family to visit his grandparents' farm around 250km north-east of Sao Paulo.

He described being "stunned and scared" after noticing that the sky was full of tiny black dots.

"There were many more webs and spiders than you can see in the video," said his grandmother. "We've seen this before, always at dusk on days when it's been really hot."

According to experts, the species - parawixia bistriata - is a rare type of 'social' spider that builds a huge interconnected web so thin that it's almost impossible to see against the sky.

The result is a colony of arachnids that appear to be floating in mid-air.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (19)

Tags: Spider, Brazil

Comment icon #10 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:04
Farmer, If you have the cash, check out a Norvise system. It is an astounding fly tying vice. Even comes with a self retracting bobbin. It spins deer hair, and makes dubbing a pleasure. It's got bearings in it to allow free spinning. Its pretty expensive at about $600 Canadian, but it is the best and fastest vice I have ever used. You can even quick dry the head cement by giving the vice a free wheel spin. Just buying the retractable bobbin will make you 50-60% faster and more efficient. I believe it also comes with a  lifetime guarantee.  Check it out. https://www.google.com/search?q=norvise+... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:32
Man ill never forget the first time i saw someone using one of those at a trade show I think I spent an hour drooling while a dude whipped out b***** after b*****. Sadly Im so broke I was very excited to find that Cabelas has a rotary in the 45 dollar range the other day.  I just cant see me ever being able to justify the price tag on the norvise. Plus with my tying skills the vice would probably reject me
Comment icon #12 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:40
Haha it edited b*****, as in wooly b***** :
Comment icon #13 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:42
Seems were in the same boat. I sold mine long ago when I broke my back. I ended up buying a cheaper Renzetti later to tie steelhead flies.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:43
Add more purple to that bad boy and watch out.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Farmer77 on 15 January, 2019, 0:45
So I started a threat on it at the time and the auction is over but did you get a chance to look through the Lefty Kreh estate sale?  I know literally zero fisherman so I havent been able to share with anyone, this is cool as hell Lefty Kreh Estate
Comment icon #16 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 0:49
I followed lefty for years. His flys were a work of art and set a standard that's hard to beat. His steelhead fly silhouettes are things of beauty. Great link Farmer. Thanks.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Hankenhunter on 15 January, 2019, 1:19
P.m sent
Comment icon #18 Posted by Escalus Drax on 11 February, 2019, 1:54
I think I will thoroughly pass on visiting this nightmare-come-true.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Impedancer on 11 February, 2019, 2:18
Flying spiders is nothing new to me i sometimes wonder what airborne division they came with probably the ghost division..I've heard that they get airborne by using electricity not only the wind since they also have been observed in windless conditions apparently naturally occurring electromagnetic fields can trigger this process and provide lift and velocity, It sounds totally bananas to me no wonder all the hairs on your body stands when you see a spider.

Mobile network balloon sparks UFO scare
6-26-2019
Residents of Butler County, Ohio were left perplexed earlier this month by a giant white orb in the sky.
Town commemorates historic UFO abduction
6-26-2019
The Mississippi town of Pascagoula has placed a marker next to the river where two men were abducted by aliens.
Popeye was right: spinach makes you strong
6-25-2019
Scientists have called for a chemical in spinach to be added to the list of banned substances for athletes.
Footage of weird 'gorilla crow' goes viral
6-25-2019
A recent video from Japan shows what appears to be a crow engaged in some rather peculiar behavior.
Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx

Bed shaking
6-15-2019 | India

Red floating lights
6-15-2019 | Canada

A night-time encounter
5-28-2019 | Missouri

UFO flies over home
5-28-2019 | Ypsilanti, Mi

Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment