Tuesday, March 19, 2019

'Night owls' struggle more than 'morning larks'

Posted on Friday, 15 February, 2019 | Comment icon 11 comments

Are you a night owl or a morning lark ? Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Juanedc
A new study has found that people who naturally stay up late have a harder time sticking to a 9-5 schedule.
If you are someone who likes to stay up late at night and to sleep in until well after sunrise, you are certainly not alone - however according to new research lead by an Australian neuroscientist, you could be disadvantaged when it comes to staying on schedule during the working day.

The study found that night owls have lower brain connectivity than morning larks, leading to poorer concentration and increased sleepiness when attempting to conform to a typical 9-5 work schedule.

"This mismatch between a person's biological time and social time - which most of us have experienced in the form of jet lag - is a common issue for night owls trying to follow a normal working day," said study lead author Elise Facer-Childs.

"Our study is the first to show a potential intrinsic neuronal mechanism behind why 'night owls' may face cognitive disadvantages when being forced to fit into these constraints."

There is even reason to indicate that people who stay up late may have a lower life expectancy.

"A typical day might last from 9am to 5pm, but for a night owl, this could result in diminished performance during the morning... and increased daytime sleepiness," said Facer-Childs.

"If, as a society, we could be more flexible about how we manage time, we could go a long way towards maximizing productivity and minimizing health risks."

Source: Live Science | Comments (11)

Tags: Sleep, Brain

Comment icon #2 Posted by Herr Falukorv on 15 February, 2019, 19:59
9 - 5 would be a dream come true.. Here in sweden its 7-16
Comment icon #3 Posted by aztek on 15 February, 2019, 20:01
early bird gets the worm.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Robin_Shadowes on 16 February, 2019, 0:40
I hate morning larks. Welcome to my side. The dark side. I can't stand daylight. The night is so much better.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Habitat on 16 February, 2019, 0:52
Morning people do seem to be the healthiest.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Goddess of the Mist on 16 February, 2019, 2:51
What you read about the differing sleep patterns makes a lot of sense.  It sure would explain how people can be so different in this way.  Completely agree with you about the 9-5 thing feeling unnatural.  When I work that schedule, I feel like part of my soul is dying, lol.  But I've had to do just that for much of my life due to the "career-path" jobs you mention.  There have been a few times, though, where I've had schedules I really enjoyed like 3-11, or my all time fave 10-7!
Comment icon #7 Posted by Goddess of the Mist on 16 February, 2019, 2:56
Yes, I wish that "we as a society could be more flexible about how we manage time".  Short but sweet article. Luckily, there's coffee!
Comment icon #8 Posted by AllPossible on 16 February, 2019, 3:04
I wake up, drink espresso, go back too sleep
Comment icon #9 Posted by InconceivableThoughts on 16 February, 2019, 13:17
Ive always called this my body clock and in my opinion is completely adaptable to ones situation. Meaning its ones choice to be a night owl or a early bird. So again in my opinion this study is bogus because its obvious that if someone stayed up all night and tried to go to work at 9 am they wouldnt function aswell as someone with a full nights sleep. Its called sleep deprivation.  Its science but its not rocket science. No study needed...
Comment icon #10 Posted by Essan on 16 February, 2019, 13:22
I can't understand people lazing in bed when it's daylight
Comment icon #11 Posted by spud the mackem on 16 February, 2019, 18:27
I.M.O. this thread is rubbish,  I worked shifts for 36 years , 6 weeks on nights, 2 weeks on days ,and 2 weeks on evenings . I have been retired for 21 years and don't have any sleep patterns , when I tire I go to bed and manage at least 6 hours sleep then get up and do all the chores including shopping without any ill effects. Todays people have it easy as we worked a 48 hour week , not a 9 to 5, 40 hour week. And when I was at sea we worked a 9 hour day 7 days a week and enjoyed every minute of it.

The human body may have a magnetic sense
3-18-2019
Scientists now believe that humans, like birds, may be able to sense the Earth's magnetic field.
Huge fireball exploded in Earth's atmosphere
3-18-2019
The blast, which occurred in December over the Bering Sea, went largely unnoticed due to its remote location.
Woman sues after being sucked into a grave
3-18-2019
Joanne Cullen had been visiting her parents' grave in Long Island when the ground swallowed her up.
Pentagon to test space-based weapons by 2023
3-17-2019
US defense bosses have requested $304 million to fund the research and development of orbital weapons.
Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 0 comments
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Why do blind people wear sunglasses ?
Posted 2-19-2019 | 2 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why blind people are often seen wearing sunglasses, even indoors.

How will humans evolve ?
Posted 2-12-2019 | 2 comments
What's next for our species - what will a human of the future be like ?

Winter solstice hooded figures