Tuesday, October 22, 2019

'Haunted Asheville' is most stolen library book

Posted on Wednesday, 9 October, 2019 | Comment icon 12 comments

A spooky book has been inexplicably disappearing. Image Credit: William Vandermate
A book about ghosts and hauntings has been repeatedly swiped from libraries across Buncombe County.
While it is not uncommon for library books to go missing now and again, librarians in Asheville have identified one particular volume that has proven particularly difficult to keep track of - a book that for some inexplicable reason has been disappearing more than any other book in the entire county.

Written by Joshua P. Warren, the book 'Haunted Asheville' contains ghost stories from across Western North Carolina including the Pink Lady of Grove Park Inn and the haunting of Helen's Bridge.

As things stand, 27 out of 37 copies of the book currently in circulation in the area have gone missing and dozens more have disappeared without a trace over the last decade or so.
"Any librarian in the county will tell you that they've lost copies of it," said librarian Vance Pollock. "Invariably, every branch in the county has had a copy go missing, and some many copies."

Local libraries have since taken to keeping copies of the book behind the counter to deter theft.

"I think there's something about that book that appeals to maybe mischievous characters," said Pollock. "Taking 'Haunted Asheville' is an epidemic."

Source: Citizen Times | Comments (12)

Tags: Haunted, Ghost

Comment icon #3 Posted by Seti42 on 9 October, 2019, 17:34
Maybe it's being stolen by overzealous Christians who think it's "Satanic". Back in the 80's, D&D books all went missing from libraries in Milwaukee, WI (where I grew up) and it got so bad, they just stopped replacing them. Now, sure players of the game could have been just never returning them, but there was also the asinine 'Satanic Panic' at the same time. I remember buying D&D books at bookshops and there would be these laughable Christian pamphlets stuck in them, explaining the horrors of Dungeons and Dragons. Also, Christianity as a long history of banning, censoring, and burning... [More]
Comment icon #4 Posted by Kenabru on 9 October, 2019, 18:25
@Seti42 you're letting your hate show ;). Unfortunately, there are 'Christians' that set a terrible example on what it actually means to be a Christian. But, like any normal people there are those that read Harry Potter and play D&D. But, damn, the nutcases do leave a sour taste in everyone's mouth.   To me, it just seems like one person that wants the book off the shelves for whatever reason. People do crazy things all the time.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Scholar4Truth on 9 October, 2019, 18:28
I seen some even try and boycott CS Lewis once. He was a good writer and his books are easy to read.
Comment icon #6 Posted by papageorge1 on 9 October, 2019, 23:55
I can't dismiss a paranormal explanation.  Papameter: 15%  Paranormal    85% Normal
Comment icon #7 Posted by the13bats on 10 October, 2019, 0:37
Ooh brother, a ghost steals a book about haunted house, I see a lax library and a bit who wants to cause mischief not a ghost, I bet i could nap a book form eustis library and no one would know or care.
Comment icon #8 Posted by jowasmus on 10 October, 2019, 13:36
It never occurred to steal a book they let me check out for free. Now I wonder if there's some kind of organization out there stealing books offline similar to piracy online.
Comment icon #9 Posted by the13bats on 11 October, 2019, 11:07
Please do not misconstrued my other post i would never steal a library book, if you ask nicely they will sell them to you.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Matt221 on 11 October, 2019, 13:03
"Any librarian will till tell you they've lost copies of it"  bit suspicious they've "lost" copies of it ..... just check all the librarian same pockets on the way out.
Comment icon #11 Posted by jowasmus on 15 October, 2019, 13:42
I never thought you would. I just see so many comments that makes me think. Now I can imagine a dark website where people go to buy stolen library books. LOL I've bought several from the local library when they have the books set out & marked for sale, but I moved about 20+ years ago & just never went to the new local library. Might need to think about it.
Comment icon #12 Posted by the13bats on 16 October, 2019, 2:51
Back in the 80s i would find a cool edition of a book i wanted to own i would straight up tell the librarian, and every time they would look it up tell me the replacement cost like if i lost it which was always a bargain and I would buy it,

World's loudest bird has a truly deafening call
10-22-2019
This incredible species of bird from the Amazon can belt out a call so loud that it can damage your eardrums.
Mother is spooked by 'ghost baby' in crib
10-22-2019
Maritza Elizabeth was so freaked out that she couldn't sleep after spotting the ghostly infant on her baby cam.
US Army signs deal to exploit 'UFO technology'
10-22-2019
The military has teamed up with Tom DeLonge's 'To The Stars' group to study alleged UFO 'metamaterials'.
Mystery surrounds London's 'Havering Hoard'
10-21-2019
An 'extraordinary' cache of Bronze Age weapons found in London has left experts scratching their heads.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ