Sunday, January 26, 2020

Can dogs smell the passage of time ?

Posted on Monday, 9 December, 2019 | Comment icon 12 comments

How can dogs tell how long you've been away ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Thomas Vaclavek
Some dogs seem to have the uncanny ability to know exactly when their owner is returning home, but how ?
Do you have a dog that always seems to be waiting excitedly at the door for you, as if it had precise knowledge of exactly when you would be returning home ?

Such stories are certainly nothing new - there have been thousands of anecdotal cases where a dog has exhibited the uncanny ability to determine when someone will be at a certain place.

In one famous case, a dog named Hachiko would accompany his master Dr. Eisaburo Ueno of Tokyo University to the train station every day to see him off. The faithful canine would then leave the station before returning at the exact same time every day to meet him coming off the train after finishing work.

The story goes that when Dr. Ueno died in Tokyo, Hachiko would continue to arrive at the station and wait at the same time every day for the next ten years in the hope that his master would show up.

So how did the dog know when and where to wait ?
The answer, according to psychologist Alexandra Horowitz from New York's Barnard College, lies in the fact that dogs may be able to 'smell' the change in time through the strength of a person's scent.

Some dogs, she argues, can follow a scent trail by tracking it from its weakest to strongest point given that a fresher smell is typically stronger and thus more recent, chronologically speaking.

When a person leaves the house, their scent will gradually become weaker, potentially giving the dog a perceptible measurement of how long they've been away.

In the case of Hachiko, Dr. Ueno's faithful dog may have come to associate a certain strength of his master's scent at the station with the exact time of his train's arrival.

After Dr. Ueno's death, the dog may have simply relied on his memory of other scents at the station to return at the same time every day long after his master's own scent had disappeared.

Source: Psychology Today | Comments (12)

Tags: Dog, Time

Comment icon #3 Posted by Desertrat56 on 9 December, 2019, 15:37
Dogs do have a sense of time.  And I don't think smell has anything to do with the dog arriving at the train statiion when the owner returns.  I had a dog who knew when I was coming home, and it wasn't smell because he would go to the door 5 minutes before my car pulled in to the driveway and once my friend was visiting and I went to rent a van and he did the same thing even though I was not in my own car and the timing had nothing to do with my regular schedule.  Something else is involved that most people ignore or will not accept.
Comment icon #4 Posted by The Eternal Flame on 9 December, 2019, 20:58
I agree totally something else is involved.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Nnicolette on 9 December, 2019, 22:50
This article is just plain idiotic! They think dogs can't tell what time of day it is? This hardly relates to smell. I know what time it is when i get up because there are shifts in traffic, daylight etc that cue me thats it time to get my son to school. I am sure other than daylight it is easy for a dog to know when someone will be there based on cues... Especially when they come at the same time every day! Especially especially at a train station with a regular schedule. Give me a break...   Also i agree with desertrat, people dont accept yet that thoughts and relationships are energy manife... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by DanL on 10 December, 2019, 1:33
My dogs always go to the door and sit when my wife is about to come home. I had assumed that it was just that they were somehow aware of what time she should be getting home until they went to the door one day in the middle of the day. My wife had got off work early and was coming home three hours earlier than normal. Not a clue as to how they knew. I didn't even know so they didn't pick it up from me.
Comment icon #7 Posted by openozy on 10 December, 2019, 2:35
It's just that dogs have not been deprogrammed to their senses like most humans.We notice this in dogs as they are close to us but I believe the more simple the lifeform,the more aware it is to its surroundings and intuition.I had a pitbull that knew when my partner was having a seizure,whether in the home,10km away or one time interstate.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Golden Duck on 10 December, 2019, 3:54
Dogs have a richer sense of smell.  You might recognise the smell of a baked cake.  Dogs will recognise the ingredients.   I couldn't discount the effect of sunlight on environment and that various odours that would generate.  There are chemical reactions triggered by sunlight in the environment. Still it just cues as you mentioned.
Comment icon #9 Posted by psyche101 on 10 December, 2019, 4:05
It's just Sheldrakes crap rehashed isn't it? @ChrLzs did a thread in the book I think.  Wierd how woo proponents continue to attempt to prop up failed theories.
Comment icon #10 Posted by psyche101 on 10 December, 2019, 4:06
I can smell the passage of time. If my dog takes a dump inside while I'm at work I can smell it when I walk in the door.
Comment icon #11 Posted by llegendary on 10 December, 2019, 5:14
I can do this. Somehow I know with my family is coming home and when they are close. It's almost like I hear the car, but there's no way that's possible.
Comment icon #12 Posted by woopypooky on 5 January, 2020, 11:23
I'm pretty sure dogs can hear up to 1 km away, the sound of tyre and engine of a car that belong to the family.

Space Force logo looks like it's from Star Trek
1-25-2020
President Donald Trump has revealed the official logo for the US Space Force - and it looks somewhat familiar...
Man behind exotic US Navy patents speaks out
1-25-2020
The engineer responsible for various exotic 'UFO tech' patents has spoken to the media for the first time.
Astronauts create first ever food baked in space
1-24-2020
In a first-of-its-kind experiment, the astronauts aboard the ISS have baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Doomsday Clock is now seconds from midnight
1-24-2020
According to the latest movement of the symbolic clock, the state of our world has gone from bad to worse.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA