Tuesday, January 25, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Modern Mysteries > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Modern Mysteries

Woman finds a hidden room behind her mirror

March 9, 2021 | Comment icon 13 comments

Imagine finding this in your bathroom... Image Credit: YouTube / Samantha Hartsoe
New York resident Samantha Hartsoe was shocked to discover a large space behind the wall of her bathroom.
In a series of TikTok videos later combined into a single YouTube video, Hartsoe started out by documenting her efforts to discover the source of a mysterious cold breeze in her apartment.

Things took a rather unexpected turn however when the 26-year-old, having determined that it was coming from behind her bathroom mirror, discovered that there was a large hole in the wall behind it.

Peering through with a torch, she discovered an entire empty room with an open doorway that appeared to lead off into the gloom of some other, larger unknown space.

Keen to discover what lay beyond, Hartsoe donned a face mask, strapped a torch to her head and squeezed through the hole into the room that lay beyond.

What she found was a large, empty and half-completed apartment filled with rubbish and debris.
Disturbingly, she found indications that someone might have been living there.

"I was kind of expecting there to be somebody, especially with the water bottle being there," she said. "And that definitely put me on edge."

Ultimately she didn't run into anybody, but after returning to her room vowed to cement the mirror to the wall to keep out anyone who might attempt to break in from the room on the other side.

It later turned out that even the building managers were unaware of the empty apartment.

"I think everybody in New York has such small apartments, you don't know what you're going to find," she said.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (13)

Comment icon #4 Posted by pallidin 11 months ago
Obviously, the "My Pillow" guy lives behind the mirror.
Comment icon #5 Posted by wolfpackin 11 months ago
My thoughts exactly!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Orphalesion 11 months ago
My first thought that it might have been a hidden storage space during Prohibition? Did something like that happen in New York? Or maybe for drugs or some such.
Comment icon #7 Posted by acute 11 months ago
Doesn't every family have a secret space where they keep a troublesome relative?† Our 'Great Uncle Brenda' was chained up in the attic for over 30 years!† †
Comment icon #8 Posted by Seti42 11 months ago
Exactly. I'd commandeer it for myself. use it for storage, an art installation, or whatever. I had an apartment in college that had a hidden space. Under the floor in one closet was a removable panel. It led to a walled up stairway. I used it for extra storage and painted some weird stuff on the walls for future residents to 'discover', heh.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Vox 11 months ago
This has all of the makings of Silent Hill: The Room.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Antnanna 11 months ago
Where'd she get the N95?
Comment icon #11 Posted by Hawken 11 months ago
I kinda thought that also. But I saw some items in there that looked recent like a Core water bottle. I wonder if she checked the mirror to see if it's 2 way. Somebody could be spying on her.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Orphalesion 11 months ago
Well the water bottle and such could come from a later period when somebody found and unofficially used the space (the second link mentions "open windows" So depending on how old the space is it could have been used for all sorts of stuff over the years. We'd only know for sure if they'd find out and reveal when the apartment was...."lost" †
Comment icon #13 Posted by Hawken 11 months ago
Looking up that Core water. It came out in 2014. So somebody was in that room within 6 years.

Total Posts: 7,216,030    Topics: 295,998    Members: 195,389