Wednesday, May 25, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Space & Astronomy

Jeff Bezos himself will fly to space next month

June 8, 2021 | Comment icon 17 comments

Bezos is heading to the edge of space next month. Image Credit: CC BY 4.0 Daniel Oberhaus
The Amazon founder and his brother will be aboard the first human flight of Blue Origin's New Shepard.
On July 20th of this year - 52 years after the launch of Apollo 11 - Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin will be launching, for the first time, six passengers in its crewed New Shepard suborbital spaceship.

Among those on-board will be Jeff Bezos himself - fulfilling his life-long dream of flying into space - as well as his brother, who has described this as a 'remarkable opportunity'.

The fact that the Amazon founder will be taking part in the flight demonstrates his confidence in the technology and in the success of the mission.

"On July 20th, I will take that journey with my brother," he wrote on Instagram.
"The greatest adventure, with my best friend."

The flight will happen just two weeks after Bezos plans to step down as Amazon's CEO.

One of the other available seats aboard the flight is currently up for auction with a high bid of $2.8M.

If everything goes to plan, the venture will kick-start a whole new era of space tourism.

Source: BBC News | Comments (17)

Comment icon #8 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 12 months ago
There is a word for those that are prepared to let others take risks they are not prepared to take themselves... coward.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Myles 12 months ago
Bull****!! Smart is the word I would use.   Not being a Guinea pig is not being a coward.   I would have refused to get shot out of a cannon.   I would have refused to test a bullet proof vest.   There are many dumb things I wouldn't do.   There would be more if I had $186 billion dollars.
Comment icon #10 Posted by cerberusxp 12 months ago
 I was going to say Stay there!
Comment icon #11 Posted by and then 12 months ago
Shhh... let him go...
Comment icon #12 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 12 months ago
Right. One of you is a successful engineer, businessman and millionaire. The other makes posts on a forum. I guess I know which one of of you and Bezos I think the term, "smart," most applies too. Both Bezos and Branson have made fortunes knowing how to sell to people. Both know  that your idea of "smart" would bankrupt them. How many people do you think would buy tickets if Bezos and Branson both advertised their services as, "safe for you fools, but to dangerous for the likes of me!" You carry on convincing yourself that cowardice is smart and billionaires are dumb, let the real smart people... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by Myles 12 months ago
Succesfull people make dumb mistakes all the time.
Comment icon #14 Posted by HSlim 12 months ago
Remember when this site used to be strictly about cryptozoology, alternate history, ghosts, UFOs and the like?   That was neat.  We should do that again instead of arguing about politics or whether or not it's smart for a billionaire to go to space.   We have Facebook and Twitter for that.  And before some WA wants to make a comment about how I've only been a member for a couple years, I've been lurking here for about 10 years without feeling any need to post or comment.  Just sayin'.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Eldorado 12 months ago
Related news... "Mystery bidder pays Ł20m for flight to space with Amazon’s Jeff Bezos" iNews report
Comment icon #16 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 12 months ago
Already posted:
Comment icon #17 Posted by Eldorado 11 months ago
Petition urges Jeff Bezos to blast into space – and stay there By Monday morning, more than 77,000 had signed a petition on Change.org demanding the Amazon founder be kept from returning to Earth after participating in the first human space flight launched by his company Blue Origin. “Billionaire’s [sic] should not exist … on earth, or in space, but should they decide the latter they should stay there,” read the deion accompanying the petition, which was addressed “to the proletariat”. https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/22/jeff-bezos-space-petition-blue-origin-flight

Total Posts: 7,267,564    Topics: 298,927    Members: 197,020