Saturday, October 21, 2017

Man claims to be 160 years old

Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

Nobody has been able to confirm Ebba's age. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Steven Depolo
Dhaqabo Ebba from Ethiopia claims to be almost 40 years older than the previous record holder.
The Ethiopian farmer claims that his recollection of events from over a century ago are proof that he was alive at that time, in particular the invasion of Ethiopia by the kingdom of Italy, a conflict that he says he remembers vividly despite it taking place 120 years ago.

Unfortunately no birth certificate exists to prove Ebba's extreme age, but if it were ever to be confirmed he would exceed the previous record holder for the world's oldest person, Jeanne Calment of France, by 38 years. The currently recognized oldest living person is Misao Okawa of Japan who is 115 years old.

Despite succumbing to blindness, Ebba is said to have a firm and vivid recollection of events that took place in his early years. "When Italy invaded Ethiopia I had two wives,and my son was old enough to herd cattle," he said.

With no way to corroborate his birth date however his true age may already be lost to the mists of time.

Source: Digital Journal | Comments (23)

Tags: Oldest Man

Comment icon #14 Posted by ancient astronaut on 13 September, 2013, 3:02
I claim to be 500 years old, hows that? (Doesn't mean it's true)
Comment icon #15 Posted by RichardRoma on 13 September, 2013, 4:05
He would also hold the world's record as the first oldest person to remember past what he had for breakfast in the morning.
Comment icon #16 Posted by coolguy on 13 September, 2013, 5:06
I think he is not 160 years old maybe 100
Comment icon #17 Posted by MamaTweedy on 13 September, 2013, 18:12
I think it would be cool to live 160 years but i seriously dought someone could live that long unless they lived in an environment with lots of trees and no pollution
Comment icon #18 Posted by stevemagegod on 14 September, 2013, 2:28
Just imagine in another 100 years the oldest person could possibly live up to 300+ years.
Comment icon #19 Posted by freeman88 on 14 September, 2013, 3:01
Yes I'm sure it was a lack of food additives. Because you know back in the day when such things didn't exist people out lived our current generations by decades upon decades.
Comment icon #20 Posted by freeman88 on 14 September, 2013, 3:05
Comment icon #21 Posted by AsylumSpirit on 14 September, 2013, 6:28
How about, considering they claim it is a oral culture and the oldest tend to be walking libraries, he's just recounting what he was told by a passing elder? I swear every time i come on this site my I.Q drops 20 points easy. Reading this bull**** that is. Why keep coming here then?
Comment icon #22 Posted by freetoroam on 14 September, 2013, 10:57
Any chance of us seeing his birth certificate? doubt it, maybe a touch of Alzheimer in his case. I have read about historical events from books, does not mean I was ACTUALLY there, but ask me in another 30 years and I may say I was.
Comment icon #23 Posted by pallidin on 14 September, 2013, 18:44
How about, considering they claim it is a oral culture and the oldest tend to be walking libraries, he's just recounting what he was told by a passing elder? I swear every time i come on this site my I.Q drops 20 points easy. Reading this bull**** that is. Not at all. We all consider this BS, but it is helpful from you and other's to contribute to a subject, as you have well done. That's how our IQ increases, well, at least knowledge that is.

Fear of snakes 'is of evolutionary origin'
10-21-2017
A new study in Germany has suggested that we are born with an innate fear of snakes and spiders.
9.7 million-year-old hominin teeth discovered
10-20-2017
The surprising find has the potential to completely rewrite everything we know of early human history.
Flying insect numbers drop by 75% in 27 years
10-20-2017
A new study has highlighted a huge reduction in the number of flying insects in Germany's nature reserves.
Car appears out of nowhere in puzzling footage
10-20-2017
An intriguing optical illusion has been leaving social media users scratching their heads this week.
One hundred million crabs
Posted 10-21-2017 | 0 comments
Christmas Island red crabs migrate in extreme numbers in this vintage BBC clip.

Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland