Saturday, July 30, 2016

Man claims to be 160 years old

Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2013 | Comment icon 23 comments

Nobody has been able to confirm Ebba's age. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Steven Depolo
Dhaqabo Ebba from Ethiopia claims to be almost 40 years older than the previous record holder.
The Ethiopian farmer claims that his recollection of events from over a century ago are proof that he was alive at that time, in particular the invasion of Ethiopia by the kingdom of Italy, a conflict that he says he remembers vividly despite it taking place 120 years ago.

Unfortunately no birth certificate exists to prove Ebba's extreme age, but if it were ever to be confirmed he would exceed the previous record holder for the world's oldest person, Jeanne Calment of France, by 38 years. The currently recognized oldest living person is Misao Okawa of Japan who is 115 years old.

Despite succumbing to blindness, Ebba is said to have a firm and vivid recollection of events that took place in his early years. "When Italy invaded Ethiopia I had two wives,and my son was old enough to herd cattle," he said.

With no way to corroborate his birth date however his true age may already be lost to the mists of time.

Source: Digital Journal | Comments (23)

Tags: Oldest Man

Comment icon #14 Posted by ancient astronaut on 13 September, 2013, 3:02
I claim to be 500 years old, hows that? (Doesn't mean it's true)
Comment icon #15 Posted by RichardRoma on 13 September, 2013, 4:05
He would also hold the world's record as the first oldest person to remember past what he had for breakfast in the morning.
Comment icon #16 Posted by coolguy on 13 September, 2013, 5:06
I think he is not 160 years old maybe 100
Comment icon #17 Posted by MamaTweedy on 13 September, 2013, 18:12
I think it would be cool to live 160 years but i seriously dought someone could live that long unless they lived in an environment with lots of trees and no pollution
Comment icon #18 Posted by stevemagegod on 14 September, 2013, 2:28
Just imagine in another 100 years the oldest person could possibly live up to 300+ years.
Comment icon #19 Posted by freeman88 on 14 September, 2013, 3:01
Yes I'm sure it was a lack of food additives. Because you know back in the day when such things didn't exist people out lived our current generations by decades upon decades.
Comment icon #20 Posted by freeman88 on 14 September, 2013, 3:05
Comment icon #21 Posted by AsylumSpirit on 14 September, 2013, 6:28
How about, considering they claim it is a oral culture and the oldest tend to be walking libraries, he's just recounting what he was told by a passing elder? I swear every time i come on this site my I.Q drops 20 points easy. Reading this bull**** that is. Why keep coming here then?
Comment icon #22 Posted by freetoroam on 14 September, 2013, 10:57
Any chance of us seeing his birth certificate? doubt it, maybe a touch of Alzheimer in his case. I have read about historical events from books, does not mean I was ACTUALLY there, but ask me in another 30 years and I may say I was.
Comment icon #23 Posted by pallidin on 14 September, 2013, 18:44
How about, considering they claim it is a oral culture and the oldest tend to be walking libraries, he's just recounting what he was told by a passing elder? I swear every time i come on this site my I.Q drops 20 points easy. Reading this bull**** that is. Not at all. We all consider this BS, but it is helpful from you and other's to contribute to a subject, as you have well done. That's how our IQ increases, well, at least knowledge that is.

Cheese discovered in 340-year-old shipwreck
7-29-2016
A container of foul-smelling cheese has been recovered from the site of a sunken 17th-century gunship.
Skydiver to jump without any parachute at all
7-29-2016
Skydiver Luke Aikins will be attempting to jump from 25,000ft and land in a safety net on live TV.
Apollo astronauts at risk of heart problems
7-29-2016
The astronauts who walked on the moon are up to five times more likely to die of cardiovascular disease.
Man has spent 25 years searching for Nessie
7-28-2016
It has now been 25 years since Steve Feltham dedicated his life to hunting down the Loch Ness Monster.
Can you crash something in to the sun ?
Posted 7-29-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the difficulties involved in sending a spacecraft to collide with the sun.

What if Lego figures were real ?
Posted 7-28-2016 | 4 comments
A bizarre look at a creepy Lego-inspired mask that turns you in to a life-sized Lego minifigure.

Following the Oregon Trail
Posted 7-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look back at Narcissa Whitman - the first woman to complete the Oregon Trail.

Walking over light bulbs
Posted 7-26-2016 | 2 comments
This skilled Chinese woman succeeds in walking across light bulbs for 20 meters.

Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 7 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah