Sunday, July 23, 2017

Consumer jetpack to go on sale next year

Posted on Thursday, 19 September, 2013 | Comment icon 26 comments

A test flight of the Martin Jetpack. Image Credit: Martin Jetpack / YouTube
The world's first consumer jetpack will soon be available to purchase from a company in New Zealand.
The Martin Aircraft Co. Ltd. has spent over 30 years researching and developing a working jetpack, a device that enables the wearer to cruise through the air strapped to a piece of technology that chief executive Peter Cooker has described as a "motorcycle in the sky."

With a $150,000 price tag the Martin Jetpack won't come cheap, but with the ability to fly at a height of 7,000ft at speeds of up to 50 miles per hour it is likely that there will be a great many people willing to shell out for the chance to own one.

New Zealand's Civil Aviation Authority however is unimpressed, not least because current legislation does not cater for this type of device but also because technically the jetpack isn't actually a jetpack. "It's a misnomer to call it a jetpack because it is a ducted fan," said special flight operations manager Rex Kenny. "It's a lift device really. When we looked at our rules, microlight was the closest."

Unlike the traditional idea of a jetpack which uses actual jets, the Martin Jetpack uses a gasoline engine to power two ducted fans which help propel it in to the air. Nonetheless its capabilities cannot be denied and with a public release looming it is likely to be hitting the headlines in New Zealand when it is finally made available to the public within the next few months.

Source: Wall Street Journal | Comments (26)

Tags: Jetpack

Comment icon #17 Posted by seeder on 19 September, 2013, 22:32
Like Segways, just a few insurance forms to fill in before you fly. Interesting to see how this pans out, the first thing my son asked is how much it will be and would I buy one. all new stuff costs big money, and why not, that guy did 30 years of his life to develop that!! So yeh, give it time and it'll be cheaper...or for hire at clubs etc
Comment icon #18 Posted by QuiteContrary on 19 September, 2013, 23:52
It seems to me parking options would be quite limited. Maybe land on your office roof? I don't see any wheels. So I guess you're stuck where you land, so get it right the first time? Looks like a blast though! 7000 feet up, perfect
Comment icon #19 Posted by AlienDan on 20 September, 2013, 5:00
Was expecting something much cooler like the size of a backpack. This doesnt look fun at all.
Comment icon #20 Posted by pallidin on 20 September, 2013, 5:21
Well, if it ever gets to a price-point that is affordable to the masses, I hope there will be some type of regulation: I once saw a Nature video of birds flying after consuming intoxicating berries. It was not a pretty site. They were flying into each other, also falling to the ground, and also crashing into trees.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Likely Guy on 20 September, 2013, 5:59
...I once saw a Nature video of birds flying after consuming intoxicating berries. It was not a pretty site. They were flying into each other, also falling to the ground, and also crashing into trees. Sold! They've promised us these things since the Seattle World's Fair ('62?). I'm in. Next up, Flying Cars! Hey, you can't live forever.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Hatake Kakashi on 20 September, 2013, 6:49
Comment icon #23 Posted by Shayde on 20 September, 2013, 13:18
Don't mind me if I go ahead and become a bounty hunter and change my name to Boba Fett. That might be a bad idea. Giving what happened to him... Now, changing your name to Rocketeer though....
Comment icon #24 Posted by nothinglizx2 on 20 September, 2013, 16:24
Comment icon #25 Posted by puckmomma on 20 September, 2013, 16:34
Too Scared of heights. Count me out, not me.
Comment icon #26 Posted by seeder on 20 September, 2013, 17:29
waste of money for a noisy experience that will only get you so far and so high till you have to parachute back to land. The Rocketeers jetpack is the ideal jet pack for the aerospace fanatic. You dont have to parachute back to land, you just hover down, the same way you went up. The parachute is only there for emergencies

Public names locomotive 'Trainy McTrainface'
7-23-2017
A recent poll in Sweden has shown, once again, why asking the public to name anything is a bad idea.
Did sea creatures push US in to Vietnam War ?
7-22-2017
Back in 1964, the Gulf of Tonkin incident resulted in a renewed commitment to war with Vietnam.
Scientist has 'solved' the Bermuda Triangle
7-22-2017
Dr Karl Kruszelnicki maintains that the answer to the mystery lies in little more than basic human error.
Scientists develop bizarre worm-like robot
7-22-2017
Stanford University researchers have built a robot that can literally worm its way around anything.
Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

How do fireworks get their colors ?
Posted 7-19-2017 | 0 comments
Fireworks are well known for their colorful explosions, but where do the colors come from ?

The man who swims towards sharks
Posted 7-18-2017 | 1 comment
Marine biologist Yannis doesn't avoid sharks, he deliberately seeks them out.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI