Friday, August 18, 2017

Girl gets tongue stuck to flagpole

Posted on Wednesday, 8 January, 2014 | Comment icon 19 comments

Licking a frozen metal object on a cold day is an activity best avoided. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A 12-year-old from Hampshire got more than she bargained for when she licked an ice-covered pole.
Maddie Gilmartin of East Kingston had been helping her dad clean up outside in their garden during wintery weather when she decided out of curiosity to try licking a flagpole to see if her tongue would get stuck to the frozen surface.

Confident that if this did happen she'd be able to easily pull her tongue off again she proceeded to lick the pole, realizing soon afterwards that her tongue had not only locked solid on to it but that she was completely unable to pull it free.

"I see her standing at the flagpole, her arms are waving," said her father. "I'm not sure what's going on until I got closer." It took 15 minutes for her parents to release her tongue from the pole using warm water.

"Just think before you do something," she said following the ordeal.

Source: Fox News | Comments (19)

Tags: Snow, Ice, Tongue

Comment icon #10 Posted by Jacques Terreur on 8 January, 2014, 15:53
tomorrow on UM: - bicycle falls over in china, sadlle minorly scratched! - left sock missing after washing: ALIENS??? - Germans at beach allign towels to earths magnetic field!
Comment icon #11 Posted by Rye17 on 8 January, 2014, 21:13
I thought it was common knowledge to not do that...
Comment icon #12 Posted by Sundew on 8 January, 2014, 22:09
There's no excuse, they play the Christmas Story for 24 hours every year!
Comment icon #13 Posted by Stegosaurus on 8 January, 2014, 23:20
Hahaha I love this story. It happens all the time.
Comment icon #14 Posted by ancient astronaut on 9 January, 2014, 1:37
An Homage to "A Christmas Story"?
Comment icon #15 Posted by OldN8Dogg on 9 January, 2014, 17:24
Wow, this is news? Must have been a slow day.
Comment icon #16 Posted by seeder on 11 January, 2014, 14:50
Comment icon #17 Posted by coolguy on 30 January, 2014, 4:19
I did this when I was 18 lol,,,true story
Comment icon #18 Posted by Mysterious Stranger 7 on 31 January, 2014, 7:07
Just like the movie a Christmas story lol.
Comment icon #19 Posted by BiffSplitkins on 31 January, 2014, 12:37
wish it had been Miley Cyrus, just about every damn picture i see of her she has her tongue sticking out, what is it with that expression? Why doesn't she have a pink tongue? Every time I see that photo, it grosses me out. I mean, really, if you are going to have your tongue sticking out all the time at least make sure it's not covered in cottage cheese.

Thieves in Germany steal 20 tons of chocolate
8-18-2017
The unusual heist saw a trailer loaded with confectionery being driven away in the town of Neustadt.
Mystery of distant Kuiper Belt object deepens
8-17-2017
The next target of NASA's New Horizons probe is a space rock with some rather intriguing properties.
Scientists solve animal evolution mystery
8-17-2017
A sea algae boom has been credited with the rise of the first complex life forms in Earth's distant past.
Man finds snake on a supermarket pineapple
8-17-2017
A man in Edinburgh got the fright of his life on Tuesday when he found the reptile in his shopping.
Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 0 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

Will batteries power the world ?
Posted 8-14-2017 | 0 comments
Is there a limit to how small and light a rechargeable lithium-ion battery can be ?

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama