Sunday, September 24, 2017

NASA to help companies reach the moon

Posted on Wednesday, 5 February, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

One of several contenders for the Lunar X Prize. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 90.5 WESA
The space agency has renewed its efforts to aid private companies in the commercial race to the moon.
While NASA has no plans to send humans back to the moon any time soon, the space agency has recently launched a new initiative to help private firms build robotic spacecraft capable of landing on the lunar surface.

Known as CATALYST ( Cargo Transportation and Landing by Soft Touchdown ), the programme aims to offer assistance to companies in exchange for the rights to use the lander designs developed as a result of the partnership.

With several private companies from across the world competing to become the first to land a spacecraft on the moon however, there are concerns that NASA could skew the results by giving American firms an advantage over international ones.

"It's good news for the American moon commercial ventures and the American Google Lunar X Prize teams. Not so much for the rest," the Barcelona Space Team, a Spanish entrant in Google's Lunar X Prize competition, wrote on their website. "We applaud NASA's efforts to support private initiatives to develop commercial robotic exploration, but we wonder whether this unbalances the competition in favour of the American teams."

Source: New Scientist | Comments (21)

Tags: NASA, moon, lunar

Comment icon #12 Posted by DecoNoir on 5 February, 2014, 18:50
No , they want the rover and flag back. You can't just find those item's just anywhere. And also Wal-Mart want's to open a Lunar branch. Turns out those rock spiders work for a whole lot less than a human with a three hour shift! Low, low prices everybody!
Comment icon #13 Posted by ancient astronaut on 5 February, 2014, 20:49
Turns out those rock spiders work for a whole lot less than a human with a three hour shift! Low, low prices everybody! Apollo 18 reference, sweet. That movie was better than what the "critics" made it out to be. I liked it.
Comment icon #14 Posted by coolguy on 6 February, 2014, 4:26
Maybe, we can get people back on the moon
Comment icon #15 Posted by ColoradoParanormal on 6 February, 2014, 4:29
Comment icon #16 Posted by skookum on 6 February, 2014, 8:15
I believe that America is FAR overdue for a return trip to the moon. I also believe we need to divert funds from the Mars program(s) towards more advanced Moon programs. I personally believe financially, logically, and technically building a manned permanent lunar station that will eventually evolve into a gateway to the stars is a more pertinent task for humanity. I agree, moonbase first then Mars.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Eldorado on 6 February, 2014, 12:28
The Clangers are too dangerous. Best leaving them alone.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Drayno on 7 February, 2014, 19:43
I believe that America is FAR overdue for a return trip to the moon. I also believe we need to divert funds from the Mars program(s) towards more advanced Moon programs. I personally believe financially, logically, and technically building a manned permanent lunar station that will eventually evolve into a gateway to the stars is a more pertinent task for humanity. It seems like a logical step, I agree. But I can't help but wonder what sort of an impact a lunar base would have on the moon? Maybe even its orbit or gravitational effects on the Earth? I have no scientific claim to support this id... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Peter B on 7 February, 2014, 22:52
It seems like a logical step, I agree. But I can't help but wonder what sort of an impact a lunar base would have on the moon? Maybe even its orbit or gravitational effects on the Earth? I have no scientific claim to support this idea whatsoever; it's just a thought that occurred to me. No, it won't have any measurable effect. Assume that a base had a mass of, say, 10,000 tons (that's about 3 times the mass of a full loaded Saturn V rocket). By contrast, the mass of the Moon is about 73,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons. In other words, about 7,300,000,000,000,000 as much. I don't have the exact fi... [More]
Comment icon #20 Posted by Drayno on 8 February, 2014, 9:48
No, it won't have any measurable effect. Assume that a base had a mass of, say, 10,000 tons (that's about 3 times the mass of a full loaded Saturn V rocket). By contrast, the mass of the Moon is about 73,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons. In other words, about 7,300,000,000,000,000 as much. I don't have the exact figures, but that would be like comparing you to a mote of dust. I tend to agree. There's plenty of money available in the world to explore both Mars and the Moon. People may talk of using this money to build houses, hospitals or schools. But while those are worthy causes, why should they ... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by DKO on 8 February, 2014, 9:54
Did the Chinese rover knock over the flag? All lame jokes aside, any space exploration is good news in my book.

Neanderthal brains developed slower than ours
9-24-2017
The skeleton of a young Neanderthal has revealed that our brains did not develop at the same rate.
Plant-eating dinosaurs sometimes ate crabs
9-24-2017
Fossilized droppings have revealed that some herbivorous dinosaurs occasionally snacked on seafood.
Pyramid construction mystery has been solved
9-24-2017
New evidence has shed light on exactly how huge stone blocks were transported to the site of the pyramids.
Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY