Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Mermaids blamed in accidental drowning

Posted on Tuesday, 11 February, 2014 | Comment icon 17 comments

Powerful river undercurrents can prove deadly. Image Credit: Babakathy
A prophet in Zimbabwe, Simbarashe Kamupondera, drowned in a river while performing a cleansing ritual.
The 31-year-old had been attending to a congregant on the banks of the Ruwa River when he was carried away by a strong current. Despite the grim outlook however his family continue to believe that he is still alive and that, as oppose to drowning, Simbarashe had actually been abducted by mermaids known as 'njuzu'.

"We realised that he needed help when he started saying come and get but when we tried to swim to where he was, he was submerged in water," said his sister-in-law Magma Mutingwende.

"We believe that he was taken by a mermaid and we are not going to mourn him because we know that he is coming back."

Source: Nehanda Radio | Comments (17)

Tags: Zimbabwe, Mermaid

Comment icon #8 Posted by rashore on 11 February, 2014, 20:17
Considering that there is quite a lot of lore about water critters, I decided to look up njuzu. Found a site that has a nice little bit of info about this particular kind of mermaid: http://www.guruve.com/discover_/sculpturethemes.php Thought it interesting to share.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Eldorado on 11 February, 2014, 21:39
Silly man. As a local, he should have known that the Ruwa was a Not For Prophet river.
Comment icon #10 Posted by stevemagegod on 11 February, 2014, 22:09
A person who has the potential (even if they don't realise it) to become an'anga might disappear into the water. They might be away a long time, perhaps even up to a year. Their family must not cry or mourn for them, because they have just gone to another place, they're not dead, and if the family does mourn they will die and their body will be washed up on the shore. So basically you will die either way^.
Comment icon #11 Posted by rashore on 11 February, 2014, 22:43
So basically you will die either way^. Nah, one might survive and come back according to the lore tidbit I shared. Of course that tidbit wasn't an end all font on the subject. But I thought it was interesting because it did help explain/back up what the family claim was. I'm not saying I believe the lore, I'm rather of the belief you die either way too.. or at least this guy for sure died.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Rye17 on 12 February, 2014, 0:34
Now hold on here. I saw The Little Mermaid with my daughter and mermaids do n8ot abduct people. They fall in love with handsome men, turn into beautiful women, and marry the men with whom they fall in love (with a lot of singing mixed in as needed). Now that I've cleared that up, it's back to work. Well I've seen Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides and I have to disagree... mermaids are some cold blooded killers
Comment icon #13 Posted by Duchess Gummybuns on 12 February, 2014, 0:50
Here's a better idea: STAY OUT OF THE WATER. That way, the mermaids can't get you. ...assuming they don't suddenly develop legs or something...
Comment icon #14 Posted by mesuma on 12 February, 2014, 1:17
Yet another cleansing ruined by mermaids. Will people never learn?
Comment icon #15 Posted by Sundew on 12 February, 2014, 2:49
If "mermaid" is the Zimbabwean word for crocodile, then yes, the mermaids got him.
Comment icon #16 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 12 February, 2014, 12:38
Now hold on here. I saw The Little Mermaid with my daughter and mermaids do not abduct people. They fall in love with handsome men, turn into beautiful women, and marry the men with whom they fall in love (with a lot of singing mixed in as needed). Now that I've cleared that up, it's back to work. Don't forget about the jamaican crab, mon.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Mac E on 12 February, 2014, 12:56
Hey guys, guys, settle down. Mermaids are NOT real!

1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Eden Project UFO revealed as publicity stunt
7-25-2017
Videos and pictures of an alleged UFO over Cornwall have turned out to be part of a promotional exercise.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI