Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Viking 'end of the world' is now imminent

Posted on Friday, 21 February, 2014 | Comment icon 244 comments

The end is nigh ( again ). Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Ardfern
According to experts at the Jorvik Viking Center, the apocalyptic 'Ragnarok' will soon be upon us.
Norse legend tells of Ragnarok as a cataclysmic series of events that include a great battle, untold devastation wrought by natural disasters and the submerging of the whole world in water.

According to the myth, Ragnarok will take place following three freezing winters with no summers between them, a condition that some believe has been met thanks to poor weather in northern Europe. Viking festival organizers also claim that the god Heimdallr blew the mythical Gjallerhorn on November 15th last year, signalling the beginning of a 100 day countdown that ends tomorrow on February 22nd.

"Ragnarok is the ultimate landmark in Viking mythology, when the gods fall and die, so this really is an event that should not be underestimated," said the festival director.

Source: Fox News | Comments (244)

Tags: Norse, Vikings, Ragnarok

Comment icon #235 Posted by Wordless Wanderer on 15 March, 2014, 9:37
I spent Ragnarok puking my guts out because of some bad prawns. Don't know about the world, but my stomach did go through a Ragnarok.
Comment icon #236 Posted by perceptivedoor on 19 March, 2014, 2:50
It must have been the WRONG horn..the real one has yet to be revealed
Comment icon #237 Posted by DieChecker on 19 March, 2014, 3:18
It must have been the WRONG horn..the real one has yet to be revealed Probably one of the apparently hundreds of secret societies the Conspiricy people go on about has it.
Comment icon #238 Posted by perceptivedoor on 19 March, 2014, 6:42
Probably one of the apparently hundreds of secret societies the Conspiricy people go on about has it. Could be true!
Comment icon #239 Posted by timelord on 19 March, 2014, 16:34
All these end of the world predictions by people who died out years ago! How many Mayans or Vikings do you see around today? no signs of them predicting their own demise. technically they never died out they just got land and I guess settled
Comment icon #240 Posted by Hida Akechi on 20 March, 2014, 2:29
technically they never died out they just got land and I guess settled I actually see lots of Vikings and Mayans, though none locally. They haven't died out at all, they've just.... Nevermind, I'm just repeating what you said. Sorry.
Comment icon #241 Posted by Hartmut on 8 August, 2014, 4:39
Comment icon #242 Posted by Taun on 8 August, 2014, 12:17
Funny, how ALL the doomsday predictions evaporate into the nothingness from which they sprang ! Oh come on ... this one at least was fun.... (you did throw a Ragnarok party didn't you? I did!)...
Comment icon #243 Posted by Hartmut on 8 August, 2014, 12:27
Oh come on ... this one at least was fun.... (you did throw a Ragnarok party didn't you? I did!)... Of course it's all fun, I was just poking a stick into the belly of those who take their dooms-day predictions oh so seriously.
Comment icon #244 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 9 August, 2014, 0:37
By the way, what is the next doomsday prediction? I haven't heard anything on History Channel, and that's where I get most of my doomsday news from.

Moon is much wetter than previously thought
7-25-2017
Satellite data has revealed that there is water trapped all across the Moon's surface, not just at the poles.
New species of giant sunfish discovered
7-24-2017
Marine researcher Marianne Nyegaard has identified the first new species of sunfish in over 130 years.
Nazi gold reportedly found in WWII shipwreck
7-24-2017
A chest thought to be filled with Nazi gold has been found in the wreckage of the scuttled SS Minden.
Mystery woman 'wails through letterboxes'
7-23-2017
Several households in England have been plagued by a woman crying through their letterboxes at night.
Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

Do not microwave an airbag
Posted 7-20-2017 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys capture what happens when you put an airbag in a microwave.

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI