Tuesday, August 4, 2015   |   8,034 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Scientist develops way to talk to animals

Posted on Monday, 10 March, 2014 | Comment icon 21 comments

Is it possible to 'talk' to a cow ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Susanne Maeder
The real-life Dr Dolittle believes we can ask animals about how happy and comfortable they are.
Dr Ian Duncan claims that he has developed a new way to communicate with animals and is preparing to release his methods to the public after several years of research.

"We are devising ways of ‘talking’ to animals and putting questions to them about their welfare and happiness," he said. "Each species has to be treated differently but the common factor is to devise tests where the animals are offered a choice. If they make the same choice repeatedly it shows what they want from us."

Dr Duncan is no stranger to animal welfare having previously helped to introduce regulations governing battery farming for hens and pigs during the 80s and 90s.

One of his main philosophies is that all animals, even fish, possess a much richer life than most people realize and that more should be done to improve the conditions under which they are kept.

Source: Independent | Comments (21)

Tags: Animals, Intelligence

Comment icon #12 Posted by DieChecker on 11 March, 2014, 2:46
Most of my communication with my wife involves me going, "Uhhhhh-huhhhhhhh", meaning "Yes Dear, whatever you want." Sometimes it even involves eye contact!!!
Comment icon #13 Posted by g00dfella on 11 March, 2014, 4:33
forgot to add the "solely" to my original post...
Comment icon #14 Posted by tagace1 on 11 March, 2014, 12:44
i dont want animals to talk. i have chiuauas the things dont shut up already. though i wouldnt mind talking to my pit bulls
Comment icon #15 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 11 March, 2014, 12:44
My dog changes the radio station until he finds music we both like. He also grabs boxes of cereal from the cabinet and brings them to me so he can eat breakfast. If that isn't smart, then I don't know what is...
Comment icon #16 Posted by TheGreatBeliever on 11 March, 2014, 13:03
That will never happen. Used to show funny face to my dogs. Like the way they look at me weirdly
Comment icon #17 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 11 March, 2014, 13:44
"Squirrel!"
Comment icon #18 Posted by SkeptcByMindBelievrByHeart on 11 March, 2014, 17:53
"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MOOO MOOO MOOOOOOOOO MO MOO" Translated:- " What the **** you staring at, you two legged homosapien with your camera thing, leave me be with my grass"
Comment icon #19 Posted by Mikko-kun on 12 March, 2014, 16:03
Oh we do too... might be disappearing or changing a bit because of the urbanization, but we do...
Comment icon #20 Posted by eaglesareskykittens on 12 March, 2014, 22:28
Just imagine for a moment all the secrets your pet knows about you, and then tell me what the real problem with talking animals that anyone can understand is.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Taun on 13 March, 2014, 11:12
[URL=http://s220.photobucket.com/user/Taun_photos/media/dolphin_zps69ae4b4f.jpg.html] [/URL] [URL=http://s220.photobucket.com/user/Taun_photos/media/dog-translator_zps4ea5a461.jpg.html] [/URL]

Something roaming in the woods
7-19-2015 | Salt Fork, Ohio

Strange growl
7-16-2015 | Yakima, WA

Loud screeching in the woods
7-10-2015 | Kansas, IL

Was she my spirit guide?
7-3-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

Floating above my bed
7-2-2015 | Brittany, France

The haunted Queenslander
7-2-2015 | Queensland, Australia

'IT' was there to take me!
7-2-2015 | Ringgold, Georgia, USA

My haunted basement apartment
7-1-2015 | Washington DC

Stange happenings one summer
6-23-2015 | Lynchburg, South Carolina

Soulmates in another life ?
6-11-2015 | Florida, United States