Saturday, July 30, 2016

Woman gains drawing ability after head injury

Posted on Friday, 21 March, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Experts have been unable to explain the phenomenon. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Up until the accident Pip Taylor was almost completely useless at drawing and sketching.
The 49-year-old had always enjoyed drawing but was never very good at it with even her teachers at school recommending against pursuing a career in art. This would all change however when Taylor fell down some stairs at a race track two years ago and sustained serious bruising to her brain.

Incredibly, while recovering from the ordeal at home she picked up a sketchpad and discovered that she was suddenly able to draw really well. Instead of the amateurish sketches of her past she found she could create detailed and highly realistic pencil drawings.

"It is just extraordinary. I have always loved drawing but I was never any good," she said. "It felt really natural in a way it hadn't before. I began to realize I had a real skill in being able to copy things accurately."

Concerned that the ability might not last, Taylor is now drawing as much as possible while she still can. Medical experts have expressed caution over her story but are unable to explain how her brain injury could have resulted in such a remarkable talent.

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (11)

Tags: Brain

Comment icon #2 Posted by Eldorado on 19 March, 2014, 22:37
Exact same thing happened to me! Kinda. A p***-artist I became.
Comment icon #3 Posted by coldethyl on 19 March, 2014, 23:19
That's really wild. I've heard of people with head injuries suddenly discovering abilities they never had before. It's like it opens a part of the brain they couldn't access before. Nothing paranormal, but interesting to look into.
Comment icon #4 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 21 March, 2014, 12:45
Comment icon #5 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 21 March, 2014, 12:48
Comment icon #6 Posted by Ryu on 21 March, 2014, 12:58
I only draw in the Japanese style (anime/manga), and I'm rather good at it. I always have been. I think she must have had that talent in the first place, she just never used it... but why use it now? Maybe I'm just too skeptic~ I'd like to do so as well but don't have real use for it other than a mere hobby so I don't bother much but I agree with you that she may have had the talent already but simply needed to apply it in a different manner. I just hope this story won't inspire a bunch of "Monkey see, money do" mentality to start diving head first down stairwells in hope of superpowers. Ugh. ... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by Calibeliever on 21 March, 2014, 14:30
We're such delicate machines aren't we? It's amazing what's locked in our brains. At least it was something tangible and not psychic abilities like the guy last week. I'm gald something good came out of such a tough break.
Comment icon #8 Posted by DecoNoir on 21 March, 2014, 17:39
She's actually pretty good! However I would very much like to see how old the "before" picture is. For all we know it could have been from 20 years ago. If anything, the knock on her head could have simply improved her ability to focus, which is a prettt big factor in drawing. Plays a big difference for me between simply sketching and working on a commission.
Comment icon #9 Posted by WierdHalfling on 21 March, 2014, 19:59
I go with the 30 years comment as I have found that every time I take a break from Art (3 days to 3 years) whenever I take it up again, it has improved dramatically. That's not saying that the fall had nothing to do with it but that inherent factors could have played a role here. There's no such thing as talent in my books, every skill is hard fought for over years of self application though that doesn't explain prodigies playing Mozart who had no previous trained skills to begin with.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Ryu on 21 March, 2014, 21:02
There's no such thing as talent in my books, every skill is hard fought for over years of self application though that doesn't explain prodigies playing Mozart who had no previous trained skills to begin with. I agree about there being no such thing as talent. Some people may have a particular aptitude for certain skills but like anything else, if it is not used or developed or if the person simply has no use for said aptitude then nothing comes of it. As for so-called "prodigies" I think some may have a "uncanny" ability to remember what they have heard, even in the womb and can play it back ... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by Professor T on 21 March, 2014, 22:14
Fascinating...

Cheese discovered in 340-year-old shipwreck
7-29-2016
A container of foul-smelling cheese has been recovered from the site of a sunken 17th-century gunship.
Skydiver to jump without any parachute at all
7-29-2016
Skydiver Luke Aikins will be attempting to jump from 25,000ft and land in a safety net on live TV.
Apollo astronauts at risk of heart problems
7-29-2016
The astronauts who walked on the moon are up to five times more likely to die of cardiovascular disease.
Man has spent 25 years searching for Nessie
7-28-2016
It has now been 25 years since Steve Feltham dedicated his life to hunting down the Loch Ness Monster.
Can you crash something in to the sun ?
Posted 7-29-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the difficulties involved in sending a spacecraft to collide with the sun.

What if Lego figures were real ?
Posted 7-28-2016 | 4 comments
A bizarre look at a creepy Lego-inspired mask that turns you in to a life-sized Lego minifigure.

Following the Oregon Trail
Posted 7-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look back at Narcissa Whitman - the first woman to complete the Oregon Trail.

Walking over light bulbs
Posted 7-26-2016 | 2 comments
This skilled Chinese woman succeeds in walking across light bulbs for 20 meters.

Are great leaders born or made ?
Posted 7-25-2016 | 7 comments
What does it take to be a great leader and how does one go about accomplishing that ?

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah