Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Woman gains drawing ability after head injury

Posted on Friday, 21 March, 2014 | Comment icon 11 comments

Experts have been unable to explain the phenomenon. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Up until the accident Pip Taylor was almost completely useless at drawing and sketching.
The 49-year-old had always enjoyed drawing but was never very good at it with even her teachers at school recommending against pursuing a career in art. This would all change however when Taylor fell down some stairs at a race track two years ago and sustained serious bruising to her brain.

Incredibly, while recovering from the ordeal at home she picked up a sketchpad and discovered that she was suddenly able to draw really well. Instead of the amateurish sketches of her past she found she could create detailed and highly realistic pencil drawings.

"It is just extraordinary. I have always loved drawing but I was never any good," she said. "It felt really natural in a way it hadn't before. I began to realize I had a real skill in being able to copy things accurately."

Concerned that the ability might not last, Taylor is now drawing as much as possible while she still can. Medical experts have expressed caution over her story but are unable to explain how her brain injury could have resulted in such a remarkable talent.

Source: New York Daily News | Comments (11)

Tags: Brain

Comment icon #2 Posted by Eldorado on 19 March, 2014, 22:37
Exact same thing happened to me! Kinda. A p***-artist I became.
Comment icon #3 Posted by coldethyl on 19 March, 2014, 23:19
That's really wild. I've heard of people with head injuries suddenly discovering abilities they never had before. It's like it opens a part of the brain they couldn't access before. Nothing paranormal, but interesting to look into.
Comment icon #4 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 21 March, 2014, 12:45
Comment icon #5 Posted by YukiEsmaElite0 on 21 March, 2014, 12:48
Comment icon #6 Posted by Ryu on 21 March, 2014, 12:58
I only draw in the Japanese style (anime/manga), and I'm rather good at it. I always have been. I think she must have had that talent in the first place, she just never used it... but why use it now? Maybe I'm just too skeptic~ I'd like to do so as well but don't have real use for it other than a mere hobby so I don't bother much but I agree with you that she may have had the talent already but simply needed to apply it in a different manner. I just hope this story won't inspire a bunch of "Monkey see, money do" mentality to start diving head first down stairwells in hope of superpowers. Ugh. ... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by Calibeliever on 21 March, 2014, 14:30
We're such delicate machines aren't we? It's amazing what's locked in our brains. At least it was something tangible and not psychic abilities like the guy last week. I'm gald something good came out of such a tough break.
Comment icon #8 Posted by DecoNoir on 21 March, 2014, 17:39
She's actually pretty good! However I would very much like to see how old the "before" picture is. For all we know it could have been from 20 years ago. If anything, the knock on her head could have simply improved her ability to focus, which is a prettt big factor in drawing. Plays a big difference for me between simply sketching and working on a commission.
Comment icon #9 Posted by WierdHalfling on 21 March, 2014, 19:59
I go with the 30 years comment as I have found that every time I take a break from Art (3 days to 3 years) whenever I take it up again, it has improved dramatically. That's not saying that the fall had nothing to do with it but that inherent factors could have played a role here. There's no such thing as talent in my books, every skill is hard fought for over years of self application though that doesn't explain prodigies playing Mozart who had no previous trained skills to begin with.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Ryu on 21 March, 2014, 21:02
There's no such thing as talent in my books, every skill is hard fought for over years of self application though that doesn't explain prodigies playing Mozart who had no previous trained skills to begin with. I agree about there being no such thing as talent. Some people may have a particular aptitude for certain skills but like anything else, if it is not used or developed or if the person simply has no use for said aptitude then nothing comes of it. As for so-called "prodigies" I think some may have a "uncanny" ability to remember what they have heard, even in the womb and can play it back ... [More]
Comment icon #11 Posted by Professor T on 21 March, 2014, 22:14
Fascinating...

Strange new perfume smells just like a comet
6-28-2016
A British company has created a peculiar new perfume which matches the otherworldly aroma of comet 67P.
Mammoth fossils found under street in Mexico
6-28-2016
The well-preserved 14,000-year-old remains were unearthed by utility workers in the city of Tultepec.
Human magnetic 'sixth sense' discovered
6-27-2016
A researcher in the United States believes he has found evidence of a magnetic 'sixth sense' in humans.
'Dancing mania' mystery endures 600 years on
6-27-2016
A peculiar affliction once left hundreds of people dancing uncontrollably in the streets of Europe.
How MythBusters saved a woman's life
Posted 6-27-2016 | 3 comments
A woman whose car careened in to a lake was saved by an episode of MythBusters.

Real-life dire wolves
Posted 6-26-2016 | 3 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones actually existed 300,000 years ago.

Teaching a gorilla to talk
Posted 6-25-2016 | 8 comments
A western lowland gorilla named Koko was taught from an early age to use sign language.

Man puts 496 straws in his mouth
Posted 6-24-2016 | 3 comments
Guinness Rishi manages to cram 496 drinking straws in to his mouth at the same time.

Space is trying to kill us
Posted 6-23-2016 | 1 comment
How do astronauts survive in space and what happens after they return to Earth ?

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah