Friday, February 24, 2017

Can dreams solve other people's problems ?

Posted on Saturday, 19 April, 2014 | Comment icon 14 comments

Can we telepathically learn about others while we sleep ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
A new study has suggested that it may be possible to learn about someone else's problems while asleep.
The claim is based on research by distinguished cognitive scientist and experimentalist Carlyle Smith who aimed to find out whether it was possible to dream about someone else's problems by studying a photograph of that person before going to sleep.

In a series of experiments Smith picked a number of test subjects and had volunteers recall details of their dreams upon waking up. Some were shown a photograph of a particular test subject before sleeping while others weren't shown any photographs at all.

By analyzing the results based on a number of generalized elements associated with the problems of the target, Smith demonstrated that the participants who had been shown a photograph beforehand seemed to dream more frequently about problems the target subject had been experiencing.

Source: Psychology Today | Comments (14)

Tags: Dreams, Telepathy

Comment icon #5 Posted by bLu3 de 3n3rgy on 19 April, 2014, 11:04
I'm the yes bandwagon, absolutely!. What's interesting to me is my Mum from a early age used to encourage me to do the same if she didn't know the answer to something she would tell me to go and dream on it. Lol. Little did i known then that she had the same thing, she's told me she can solve problems and come up with solutions in her dreams. I think she is better than me at it, but I'm grateful she always instilled that into us that dreams were not useless moments of life or time ticking by like some in society would like us to believe or eradicate sleep altogether I can't remember who it was... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by Sir Smoke aLot on 19 April, 2014, 11:21
I dont like them dreams, maybe because indeed they 'telling' me something about everything. That is why i choose not to dream while sleeping. But dreams are powerful. I remember one time, when i was younger and my mom was on business trip in other country... I had problems at home, with some people that u just dont wonna mess with... In short, i had to return something and they literally capture me and gave me 4 days to finish that work. That nite i got call from my mother in early morning hours. She was very upset, asked me if i have problems and what is it... While we were talking i just rea... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by ancient astronaut on 19 April, 2014, 20:51
My dreams wont help, they might make other people go insane.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Ryu on 19 April, 2014, 21:39
So far all I have seen is that dreams are merely a warped mirror reflecting daily life back at us as well as reflecting back things one has seen, read, heard, played or experienced in years past. If a person is involved in something, be it a book, a game or even learning a language then the brain will invariably reflect such elements in dreams. One time I tried learning Chinese and after a few days I had dreams that reflected chinese characters, same thing happened when I was reading about runes; dreamt of finding a book with runes in it. I was once researching wicca and sure enough my dreams ... [More]
Comment icon #9 Posted by Professor T on 19 April, 2014, 22:08
So far all I have seen is that dreams are merely a warped mirror reflecting daily life back at us as well as reflecting back things one has seen, read, heard, played or experienced in years past. If a person is involved in something, be it a book, a game or even learning a language then the brain will invariably reflect such elements in dreams. One time I tried learning Chinese and after a few days I had dreams that reflected Chinese characters, same thing happened when I was reading about runes; dreamt of finding a book with runes in it. I was once researching wicca and sure enough my dreams ... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by DigitalDreamer on 19 April, 2014, 22:52
Comment icon #11 Posted by Ryu on 19 April, 2014, 22:56
Did these dreams not help you in your studies? I would think so.. No, they did not. That one guy has a disgusting avatar! Are you referring to Professor T? His avatar is from a book about fairies..I remember seeing that particular creature..nothing disgusting about it.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Future Dreamer on 19 April, 2014, 23:10
I am sure it's possible, it happens to me all the time, it really match with my experiences i posted a few days ago about my future dreams.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Professor T on 19 April, 2014, 23:54
That one guy has a disgusting avatar! I have to disagree with him, my dreams are wondrous movies to be shared when they lesson the woes of anyones else IMHO Funny.. especially coming from an avatar removed of most of its outer layers.. Edit to add: That's a cool philosophy on sharing dreams BTW...
Comment icon #14 Posted by stevemagegod on 24 April, 2014, 16:13
For the love of God i couldn't remember one of my passwords for a game i use to play. Tried everything and nothing worked. I slept on the issue and immediately i remembered the password first try upon waking up.

Has the Hadron Collider disproven ghosts ?
2-24-2017
According to Professor Brian Cox, if ghosts existed, CERN's atom smasher should have found them by now.
Boy receives 'biggest ever' antivenom dose
2-24-2017
Matthew Mitchell was rushed to hospital after being bitten by a deadly funnel-web spider in Australia.
Scientists teach bumble bees to roll a ball
2-24-2017
A new experiment has revealed for the first time just how remarkably innovative bees can actually be.
Armless woman lights candles using her feet
2-23-2017
Adriana Irene Macias Hernandez has earned a new world record by lighting 11 candles in 60 seconds.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Is time real ?
Posted 2-24-2017 | 0 comments
Bill Nye talks about the concept of time and how our subjective perceptions of it can change.

Is it possible to re-freeze the Arctic ?
Posted 2-23-2017 | 1 comment
Scientists have proposed a rather unorthodox solution to the problems caused by climate change.

Giant horse conch
Posted 2-22-2017 | 1 comment
A huge conch makes light work of a tulip snail which fails to make its escape.

Water on the Moon
Posted 2-21-2017 | 7 comments
For a long time scientists thought the Moon was bone dry, but as it turns out - it isn't.

'Spider Boy' contortionist
Posted 2-20-2017 | 2 comments
Teenager Mohammed Alsheikh performed 38 full body spins while maintaining a chest stand.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.