Monday, October 23, 2017

Man becomes maths genius after head injury

Posted on Monday, 21 April, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Is there hidden talent locked within us all ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
The 31-year-old father-of-one was a college dropout who had never had any interest in academic pursuits. Instead he spent most of his spare time drinking and participating in adrenaline fueled activities such as cliff-jumping and sky-diving.

This would all change however when one night in 2002 he had been at a bar when two men attacked him from behind and knocked him unconscious with a blow to the back of the head.

Following a CT scan Padgett was released from hospital the same night, but the next day he realized that something was different. He started to see and perceive shapes and movements in everyday objects and became obsessed with fractals and mathematics.

As it transpired, Padgett is one of only 40 known people in the world to have "acquired ­savant syndrome", a condition in which trauma to the head results in the emergence of remarkable talent in maths, art or music.

"I believe I am living proof that these powers lie dormant in all of us," he said. "If it could happen to me, it could happen to anyone."

Source: New York Post | Comments (20)

Tags: Savant, Maths, Genius

Comment icon #11 Posted by paperdyer on 21 April, 2014, 19:04
I found that regularly drinking plenty of beer, helps get rid of the curse of knowing maths and long words and stuff. Lucky you. It does the exact opposite for me. I may not remember all of it the next day, but at the time I'm drinking, I'm great!
Comment icon #12 Posted by White Crane Feather on 21 April, 2014, 19:35
I found that regularly drinking plenty of beer, helps get rid of the curse of knowing maths and long words and stuff. It also puts you sometimes in bars where you get punched in the back of the head. Most of the time you wake up dumber. This guy won the lottery.
Comment icon #13 Posted by FlyingAngel on 21 April, 2014, 23:22
We need to shock people's brain more to find out the potential of humans' brain
Comment icon #14 Posted by Nenaraz on 22 April, 2014, 4:34
Jason Padgett became a mathematical genius overnight after an attacker punched him in the head. Read More: http://www.unexplain...ter-head-injury Another savant. @Drinking topic - I know people who play chess like geniuses only when they're drunk enough. I wouldn't be surprised to know that the "drunken fist" or whatever the name is really requires you to be drunk and fight.
Comment icon #15 Posted by White Crane Feather on 22 April, 2014, 9:01
Another savant. @Drinking topic - I know people who play chess like geniuses only when they're drunk enough. I wouldn't be surprised to know that the "drunken fist" or whatever the name is really requires you to be drunk and fight. Drunken Fist is not really about drinking. It's about 2 things: Deception and contingency. If you practice a Drunken Fist form and a kick fails you, you can stumble out effectively, fall and recover, you can even loose your fingers in battle and still have affective striking surfaces. When I used to drink, there was what I called the sage stage. For a brief time I w... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 22 April, 2014, 13:30
Comment icon #17 Posted by Azznerak the Black on 25 April, 2014, 21:53
If this is true then all we have to do is go around NYC schools and beat in the heads of some children. At least them they may be able to read "See spot Run" without a tutor....
Comment icon #18 Posted by eaglesareskykittens on 17 May, 2014, 0:52
I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG! All these years I have been banging my head against my desk while trying to figure out math problems! When really I just need to get punched in the head.
Comment icon #19 Posted by nohands on 17 May, 2014, 3:19
Did this p0st tells me that the man tap an0ther 0.01% of his brain capacity?? Aw. Ok bye
Comment icon #20 Posted by woopypooky on 2 July, 2014, 11:09
A wise man once said; there is nothing to learn in this world. All is just remembering who you really are.

Moon photobombs the Sun on NASA images
10-22-2017
Solar observations made by a satellite were interrupted this week when the Moon made a sneaky appearance.
Near-complete tyrannosaur fossil found in Utah
10-22-2017
Palaeontologists have unearthed the skeleton of a meat-eating dinosaur dating back over 76 million years.
Huge magnetic tail discovered behind Mars
10-22-2017
NASA scientists have revealed the existence of an invisible magnetic tail trailing behind the Red Planet.
NASA's ion thruster breaks propulsion records
10-21-2017
The prototype thruster could one day propel the first Mars astronauts all the way to the Red Planet.
One hundred million crabs
Posted 10-21-2017 | 2 comments
Christmas Island red crabs migrate in extreme numbers in this vintage BBC clip.

Recreating your face from DNA
Posted 10-18-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to determine someone's appearance from a sample of their DNA ?

Schlieren imaging in color
Posted 10-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at Schlieren imaging - a technique that can help to visualize tiny differences in air.

Glowing creatures of the deep
Posted 10-15-2017 | 0 comments
This vintage clip sees Sir David Attenborough descending in to the dark depths of the sea.

Slow motion pellet split
Posted 10-14-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt to split an air gun pellet with a knife to pop two balloons.

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom

Ghost playing with a balloon?
10-18-2017 | Australia

Impossible phone call
10-18-2017 | West Virginia

Seeing cats
10-18-2017 | Santa Rosa

Fourth of July UFO show
10-18-2017 | Hillsboro ND

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland