Sunday, July 31, 2016

Man becomes maths genius after head injury

Posted on Monday, 21 April, 2014 | Comment icon 20 comments

Is there hidden talent locked within us all ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
The 31-year-old father-of-one was a college dropout who had never had any interest in academic pursuits. Instead he spent most of his spare time drinking and participating in adrenaline fueled activities such as cliff-jumping and sky-diving.

This would all change however when one night in 2002 he had been at a bar when two men attacked him from behind and knocked him unconscious with a blow to the back of the head.

Following a CT scan Padgett was released from hospital the same night, but the next day he realized that something was different. He started to see and perceive shapes and movements in everyday objects and became obsessed with fractals and mathematics.

As it transpired, Padgett is one of only 40 known people in the world to have "acquired ­savant syndrome", a condition in which trauma to the head results in the emergence of remarkable talent in maths, art or music.

"I believe I am living proof that these powers lie dormant in all of us," he said. "If it could happen to me, it could happen to anyone."

Source: New York Post | Comments (20)

Tags: Savant, Maths, Genius

Comment icon #11 Posted by paperdyer on 21 April, 2014, 19:04
I found that regularly drinking plenty of beer, helps get rid of the curse of knowing maths and long words and stuff. Lucky you. It does the exact opposite for me. I may not remember all of it the next day, but at the time I'm drinking, I'm great!
Comment icon #12 Posted by White Crane Feather on 21 April, 2014, 19:35
I found that regularly drinking plenty of beer, helps get rid of the curse of knowing maths and long words and stuff. It also puts you sometimes in bars where you get punched in the back of the head. Most of the time you wake up dumber. This guy won the lottery.
Comment icon #13 Posted by FlyingAngel on 21 April, 2014, 23:22
We need to shock people's brain more to find out the potential of humans' brain
Comment icon #14 Posted by Nenaraz on 22 April, 2014, 4:34
Jason Padgett became a mathematical genius overnight after an attacker punched him in the head. Read More: http://www.unexplain...ter-head-injury Another savant. @Drinking topic - I know people who play chess like geniuses only when they're drunk enough. I wouldn't be surprised to know that the "drunken fist" or whatever the name is really requires you to be drunk and fight.
Comment icon #15 Posted by White Crane Feather on 22 April, 2014, 9:01
Another savant. @Drinking topic - I know people who play chess like geniuses only when they're drunk enough. I wouldn't be surprised to know that the "drunken fist" or whatever the name is really requires you to be drunk and fight. Drunken Fist is not really about drinking. It's about 2 things: Deception and contingency. If you practice a Drunken Fist form and a kick fails you, you can stumble out effectively, fall and recover, you can even loose your fingers in battle and still have affective striking surfaces. When I used to drink, there was what I called the sage stage. For a brief time I w... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 22 April, 2014, 13:30
Comment icon #17 Posted by Azznerak the Black on 25 April, 2014, 21:53
If this is true then all we have to do is go around NYC schools and beat in the heads of some children. At least them they may be able to read "See spot Run" without a tutor....
Comment icon #18 Posted by eaglesareskykittens on 17 May, 2014, 0:52
I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG! All these years I have been banging my head against my desk while trying to figure out math problems! When really I just need to get punched in the head.
Comment icon #19 Posted by nohands on 17 May, 2014, 3:19
Did this p0st tells me that the man tap an0ther 0.01% of his brain capacity?? Aw. Ok bye
Comment icon #20 Posted by woopypooky on 2 July, 2014, 11:09
A wise man once said; there is nothing to learn in this world. All is just remembering who you really are.

Skydiver survives jumping without a parachute
7-31-2016
Daredevil Luke Aikins has made history by jumping from 25,000ft in to a net without wearing a parachute.
How much would the Enterprise cost to run ?
7-30-2016
An engineering firm has attempted to calculate how much Captain Kirk's ship would actually cost to run.
Mammoth cloning attempt in 'initial stages'
7-30-2016
Russian and Korean scientists have made an important first step towards creating a live woolly mammoth.
Norway is planning to give Finland a mountain
7-30-2016
The summit of Mount Halti could be gifted to Finland to celebrate 100 years of independence from Russia.
What are airplane chemtrails ?
Posted 7-31-2016 | 0 comments
What exactly are the trails we see behind airplanes and what are they made of ?

Unboxing an $8000 robot
Posted 7-30-2016 | 1 comment
For the technology enthusiast who has everything - here's Nao the robot.

Can you crash something in to the sun ?
Posted 7-29-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the difficulties involved in sending a spacecraft to collide with the sun.

What if Lego figures were real ?
Posted 7-28-2016 | 4 comments
A bizarre look at a creepy Lego-inspired mask that turns you in to a life-sized Lego minifigure.

Following the Oregon Trail
Posted 7-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look back at Narcissa Whitman - the first woman to complete the Oregon Trail.

Light in Orion
7-23-2016 | Tampa, Florida

Girl with the broken neck
7-23-2016 | Mississippi

Holes in cotton clothing
7-23-2016 | Somerset, UK

Three knocks in the night
6-28-2016 | Cedar City, Utah