Sunday, June 25, 2017

Giant shark eaten by mystery 'sea monster'

Posted on Sunday, 8 June, 2014 | Comment icon 112 comments

What can kill a 9ft shark ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Terry Goss
Scientists have identified a Great White Shark that was attacked and eaten by something much larger.
The otherwise healthy 2.7m-long shark was being tracked by researchers who were studying its movements when it experienced a sudden and dramatic temperature increase before inexplicably plummeting 580m in to the depths.

Four months later its electronic tag was found washed up on a beach in Australia around 4 kilometers from where it had disappeared.

The research team believes that the shark had been attacked by a much larger animal, an unidentified behemoth that could be something that has never been seen before.

"When I was first told about the data that came back from the tag that was on the shark, I was absolutely blown away," said filmmaker Dave Riggs who is involved in a new documentary that is being produced about the mystery.

"The question that not only came to my mind but everyone’s mind who was involved was, ‘what did that?’ It was obviously eaten. What’s gonna eat a shark that big ?"

Source: News.com.au | Comments (112)

Tags: Shark, Sea Monster

Comment icon #103 Posted by MiskatonicGrad on 18 June, 2014, 7:12
I didn't know that there was such a drama surrounding this story. when I first heard it and watched the video I thought it sounded more like something swallowed the transponder then passed said device. but hey to each his own what's the point of reality if we can't try and disprove it once in awhile.
Comment icon #104 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 10:17
It was a glitch in the Matrix..
Comment icon #105 Posted by MordorOrc on 18 June, 2014, 11:23
Now I'm not saying that Orca killed this shark, only that even large sharks have predators. Perhaps a Giant Squid? Giant squid exist in waters much further to the south where it's too cold for the Great Whites to swim to. And I'm not even sure that even if there were giant squid off the coast of Australia, Great Whites would be on their menu.
Comment icon #106 Posted by maximusnow on 18 June, 2014, 12:06
This could be another Mermaid Fictodocudrama.
Comment icon #107 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 12:39
Great Whites actually enjoy a vast variety of ocean temps. Obviously everyone knows they are present in places like Australia, New Zealan, South Africa and the US But they have also been spotted off the coasts of Italy, Span and France. A Great White tagged in Florida was located a mere 1000 miles off the irish coast and headed further toward the main land.
Comment icon #108 Posted by beelzebufo on 18 June, 2014, 23:06
So it turns out the culprit was a bigger great white shark. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/mystery-solved-heres-the-animal-that-ate-the-9-foot-gr-1587429691 I like how all the news stories were calling the 9 foot great white a "giant shark", and now this 16 foot one, (still not unusually big), is dubbed a "colossal shark".
Comment icon #109 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 23:13
Comment icon #110 Posted by beelzebufo on 18 June, 2014, 23:29
That article is just offensive to anyone who has even a little knowledge regarding sharks and shark behaviour. Who wrote it? a 10 year old? What, the article I posted? I don't know. I thought all news articles were written by 10 year olds.
Comment icon #111 Posted by DieChecker on 19 June, 2014, 0:32
So it turns out the culprit was a bigger great white shark. http://sploid.gizmod...t-gr-1587429691 I like how all the news stories were calling the 9 foot great white a "giant shark", and now this 16 foot one, (still not unusually big), is dubbed a "colossal shark". I don't think that really solves the mystery. They are basically guessing.
Comment icon #112 Posted by beelzebufo on 19 June, 2014, 0:38
I don't think that really solves the mystery. They are basically guessing. To tell the truth, I really only skimmed the article. Looking at it again, I guess you're right. I usually thoroughly read all the articles I discuss. Of course the one article I do post without properly reading turns out to be a piece of crap.

5931997

Scientists crack mystery of avian egg shape
6-24-2017
Researchers have finally worked out why some bird eggs are rounder while others are more pointy.
Magnetic beam could dispose of old satellites
6-24-2017
A French scientist is working on a novel new way to keep Earth's orbit clear of defunct satellites.
UK UFO files have finally been released
6-24-2017
The National Archives has published a collection of 15 Ministry of Defence files on the subject of UFOs.
Real-life treasure hunt has claimed two lives
6-23-2017
Two people have died while attempting to track down a $2M haul hidden somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.
Predicting disasters
Posted 6-24-2017 | 0 comments
Richard A. Clarke talks about the ways in which catastrophes can be predicted in advance.

How big are spacecraft ?
Posted 6-23-2017 | 2 comments
Most images of spacecraft are set in space, which makes it hard to judge relative size.

Eusocial animals
Posted 6-22-2017 | 1 comment
How do ants and termites manage to create such enormous and impressive structures ?

Seeing the invisible
Posted 6-21-2017 | 0 comments
What if you could see invisible air currents, temperature gradients and pressure differences ?

Record-breaking aviary
Posted 6-20-2017 | 3 comments
The Shukavana bird home in Mysuru, India is home to 468 different species of birds.

Craig is here
6-10-2017 | Phoenix AZ

We saw the same thing!
6-10-2017 | Pooler, GA

Three female faces
6-5-2017 | Illinois (IL)

Encounter at 3:33 AM
6-5-2017 | Budapest

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed