Monday, August 21, 2017

Giant shark eaten by mystery 'sea monster'

Posted on Sunday, 8 June, 2014 | Comment icon 112 comments

What can kill a 9ft shark ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Terry Goss
Scientists have identified a Great White Shark that was attacked and eaten by something much larger.
The otherwise healthy 2.7m-long shark was being tracked by researchers who were studying its movements when it experienced a sudden and dramatic temperature increase before inexplicably plummeting 580m in to the depths.

Four months later its electronic tag was found washed up on a beach in Australia around 4 kilometers from where it had disappeared.

The research team believes that the shark had been attacked by a much larger animal, an unidentified behemoth that could be something that has never been seen before.

"When I was first told about the data that came back from the tag that was on the shark, I was absolutely blown away," said filmmaker Dave Riggs who is involved in a new documentary that is being produced about the mystery.

"The question that not only came to my mind but everyone’s mind who was involved was, ‘what did that?’ It was obviously eaten. What’s gonna eat a shark that big ?"

Source: News.com.au | Comments (112)

Tags: Shark, Sea Monster

Comment icon #103 Posted by MiskatonicGrad on 18 June, 2014, 7:12
I didn't know that there was such a drama surrounding this story. when I first heard it and watched the video I thought it sounded more like something swallowed the transponder then passed said device. but hey to each his own what's the point of reality if we can't try and disprove it once in awhile.
Comment icon #104 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 10:17
It was a glitch in the Matrix..
Comment icon #105 Posted by MordorOrc on 18 June, 2014, 11:23
Now I'm not saying that Orca killed this shark, only that even large sharks have predators. Perhaps a Giant Squid? Giant squid exist in waters much further to the south where it's too cold for the Great Whites to swim to. And I'm not even sure that even if there were giant squid off the coast of Australia, Great Whites would be on their menu.
Comment icon #106 Posted by maximusnow on 18 June, 2014, 12:06
This could be another Mermaid Fictodocudrama.
Comment icon #107 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 12:39
Great Whites actually enjoy a vast variety of ocean temps. Obviously everyone knows they are present in places like Australia, New Zealan, South Africa and the US But they have also been spotted off the coasts of Italy, Span and France. A Great White tagged in Florida was located a mere 1000 miles off the irish coast and headed further toward the main land.
Comment icon #108 Posted by beelzebufo on 18 June, 2014, 23:06
So it turns out the culprit was a bigger great white shark. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/mystery-solved-heres-the-animal-that-ate-the-9-foot-gr-1587429691 I like how all the news stories were calling the 9 foot great white a "giant shark", and now this 16 foot one, (still not unusually big), is dubbed a "colossal shark".
Comment icon #109 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 23:13
Comment icon #110 Posted by beelzebufo on 18 June, 2014, 23:29
That article is just offensive to anyone who has even a little knowledge regarding sharks and shark behaviour. Who wrote it? a 10 year old? What, the article I posted? I don't know. I thought all news articles were written by 10 year olds.
Comment icon #111 Posted by DieChecker on 19 June, 2014, 0:32
So it turns out the culprit was a bigger great white shark. http://sploid.gizmod...t-gr-1587429691 I like how all the news stories were calling the 9 foot great white a "giant shark", and now this 16 foot one, (still not unusually big), is dubbed a "colossal shark". I don't think that really solves the mystery. They are basically guessing.
Comment icon #112 Posted by beelzebufo on 19 June, 2014, 0:38
I don't think that really solves the mystery. They are basically guessing. To tell the truth, I really only skimmed the article. Looking at it again, I guess you're right. I usually thoroughly read all the articles I discuss. Of course the one article I do post without properly reading turns out to be a piece of crap.

Mystery microbe may be key to origin of viruses
8-21-2017
The microorganism was discovered in the lakes of the Rauer Islands off the coast of Antarctica.
There won't always be total solar eclipses
8-21-2017
One day, the Moon will have moved so far away that a total solar eclipse will no longer be possible.
Man has a live gecko removed from his ear
8-20-2017
A man in China got the surprise of his life after visiting the doctor with severe pain in his ear.
Three-mile-wide asteroid to pass by the Earth
8-20-2017
The huge space rock is due to pass within a safe distance of our planet at the beginning of September.
How to watch the eclipse
Posted 8-21-2017 | 4 comments
Staring at the Sun is dangerous. Here's how to watch the eclipse without damaging your eyes.

The napkin ring problem
Posted 8-20-2017 | 0 comments
Why is it that any two 'napkin rings' cut from any sizes of spherical object will have equal volume ?

Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia