Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Giant shark eaten by mystery 'sea monster'

Posted on Sunday, 8 June, 2014 | Comment icon 112 comments

What can kill a 9ft shark ? Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Terry Goss
Scientists have identified a Great White Shark that was attacked and eaten by something much larger.
The otherwise healthy 2.7m-long shark was being tracked by researchers who were studying its movements when it experienced a sudden and dramatic temperature increase before inexplicably plummeting 580m in to the depths.

Four months later its electronic tag was found washed up on a beach in Australia around 4 kilometers from where it had disappeared.

The research team believes that the shark had been attacked by a much larger animal, an unidentified behemoth that could be something that has never been seen before.

"When I was first told about the data that came back from the tag that was on the shark, I was absolutely blown away," said filmmaker Dave Riggs who is involved in a new documentary that is being produced about the mystery.

"The question that not only came to my mind but everyone’s mind who was involved was, ‘what did that?’ It was obviously eaten. What’s gonna eat a shark that big ?"

Source: News.com.au | Comments (112)

Tags: Shark, Sea Monster

Comment icon #103 Posted by MiskatonicGrad on 18 June, 2014, 7:12
I didn't know that there was such a drama surrounding this story. when I first heard it and watched the video I thought it sounded more like something swallowed the transponder then passed said device. but hey to each his own what's the point of reality if we can't try and disprove it once in awhile.
Comment icon #104 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 10:17
It was a glitch in the Matrix..
Comment icon #105 Posted by MordorOrc on 18 June, 2014, 11:23
Now I'm not saying that Orca killed this shark, only that even large sharks have predators. Perhaps a Giant Squid? Giant squid exist in waters much further to the south where it's too cold for the Great Whites to swim to. And I'm not even sure that even if there were giant squid off the coast of Australia, Great Whites would be on their menu.
Comment icon #106 Posted by maximusnow on 18 June, 2014, 12:06
This could be another Mermaid Fictodocudrama.
Comment icon #107 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 12:39
Great Whites actually enjoy a vast variety of ocean temps. Obviously everyone knows they are present in places like Australia, New Zealan, South Africa and the US But they have also been spotted off the coasts of Italy, Span and France. A Great White tagged in Florida was located a mere 1000 miles off the irish coast and headed further toward the main land.
Comment icon #108 Posted by beelzebufo on 18 June, 2014, 23:06
So it turns out the culprit was a bigger great white shark. http://sploid.gizmodo.com/mystery-solved-heres-the-animal-that-ate-the-9-foot-gr-1587429691 I like how all the news stories were calling the 9 foot great white a "giant shark", and now this 16 foot one, (still not unusually big), is dubbed a "colossal shark".
Comment icon #109 Posted by DefenceMinisterMishkin on 18 June, 2014, 23:13
Comment icon #110 Posted by beelzebufo on 18 June, 2014, 23:29
That article is just offensive to anyone who has even a little knowledge regarding sharks and shark behaviour. Who wrote it? a 10 year old? What, the article I posted? I don't know. I thought all news articles were written by 10 year olds.
Comment icon #111 Posted by DieChecker on 19 June, 2014, 0:32
So it turns out the culprit was a bigger great white shark. http://sploid.gizmod...t-gr-1587429691 I like how all the news stories were calling the 9 foot great white a "giant shark", and now this 16 foot one, (still not unusually big), is dubbed a "colossal shark". I don't think that really solves the mystery. They are basically guessing.
Comment icon #112 Posted by beelzebufo on 19 June, 2014, 0:38
I don't think that really solves the mystery. They are basically guessing. To tell the truth, I really only skimmed the article. Looking at it again, I guess you're right. I usually thoroughly read all the articles I discuss. Of course the one article I do post without properly reading turns out to be a piece of crap.

Europe, not Africa, was birthplace of mankind
5-23-2017
A remarkable new palaeontological discovery in Europe could rewrite the history of human evolution.
UFO dossier may be released after UK election
5-22-2017
A selection of previously withheld documents about UFOs could be seeing a release in the near future.
Who was Leonardo da Vinci's mystery mother?
5-22-2017
An Oxford University professor believes he may have pieced together the identity of Leonardo's mother.
Astronauts to undertake emergency spacewalk
5-22-2017
The two-hour spacewalk, which is set to take place on Tuesday, will aim to repair a broken data relay box.
Falcon vs car
Posted 5-23-2017 | 0 comments
Can the fastest bird of prey in level flight manage to fly faster than a speeding car ?

Ants are better at growing food than we are
Posted 5-21-2017 | 1 comment
They may be small, but ants have been farming their own food for a lot longer than humans have.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on Europa
Posted 5-20-2017 | 0 comments
The popular astrophysicist talks about finding life beneath the surface of Europa.

Everest earthquake
Posted 5-19-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the harrowing moments before the devastating avalanche at Mount Everest in 2015.

Fastest time drinking maple syrup
Posted 5-18-2017 | 0 comments
'L.A. Beast' glugs down the whole bottle in under 11 seconds - don't try this at home.

Someone is on my bed