Saturday, August 19, 2017

Did male faces evolve to take punches ?

Posted on Tuesday, 10 June, 2014 | Comment icon 58 comments

Early man may have engaged in frequent fist fights. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Cicero Moraes
The facial features of our male ancestors may have been an evolutionary defense against fist fights.
According to a new study, the bones in the face that are most commonly broken in a punch-up saw the greatest increase in strength during our male ancestors' early evolution while our female ancestors saw no such changes.

This suggests that these adaptations were a response to a tendency for males to engage in fist fights, most likely due to violent competition between rivals.

Known as the "protective buttressing hypothesis", the idea has now superseded the previous suggestion that the more robust facial features were in response to a tough diet of seeds and nuts.

"Jaws are one of the most frequent bones to break - and it's not the end of the world now, because we have surgeons, we have modern medicine," said lead author Prof David Carrier.

"But four million years ago, if you broke your jaw, it was probably a fatal injury. You wouldn't be able to chew food... You'd just starve to death."

Source: BBC News | Comments (58)

Tags: Evolution

Comment icon #49 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 June, 2014, 20:00
Logic behind evolution? Please explain what you mean by this, I am confused. Do you think man has always looked like he does today (bar the fashion)? I did find that strange... No logic in a theory based on logic and observation? Compare that to the other theories that in general rely on faith.
Comment icon #50 Posted by bubblykiss on 18 June, 2014, 18:50
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Think non-organic evoluition of cars, shoes, clothing, social systems. They start basic and become more advanced as they progress through time. The same happens with living things. Only slower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ford_Motor_Company
Comment icon #51 Posted by Leonardo on 18 June, 2014, 19:04
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. It's easy. You want smart kids then have sex with a smart man. If you want ugly kids, then have sex with an ugly man. That's a gross oversimplification, of course, and so not entirely true - but I hope it'll help with the making-of-sense.
Comment icon #52 Posted by psyche101 on 19 June, 2014, 5:21
Vikings were actually surprisingly dandy. Well - doesn't the Lloyds Bank coprolite offer a different impression.........
Comment icon #53 Posted by psyche101 on 19 June, 2014, 5:23
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Evolution itself, or the OP's claim?
Comment icon #54 Posted by aquatus1 on 19 June, 2014, 9:06
It's easy. You want smart kids then have sex with a smart man. If you want ugly kids, then have sex with an ugly man. That's a gross oversimplification, of course, and so not entirely true - but I hope it'll help with the making-of-sense. Even more disturbing, I remember in a sociology class I took in college, we talked about how 10%-15% of women admitted to adultery with stronger, "manlier" men than their husbands to the point of pregnancy, at which point they went back to being loyal and raising the child with the guy who wasn't as manly, but was financially stable. The teacher also mentione... [More]
Comment icon #55 Posted by hellwyr on 25 June, 2014, 10:39
stupid only because in contemporary society there is the believe that men hit eachother they think it is evolutionary..... and secondly didnt women look the same.
Comment icon #56 Posted by RabidMongoose on 25 June, 2014, 10:49
my science teacher didn't believe in evolution.. she just could never see the logic in it.. and spent the whole time giving us facts on why there isn't such thing.. like one of them was if there was such thing as evolution we could use apes and monkeys hearts as a transplant.. but the pigs heart is actually closer to a humans.. At uni level they do teach people to criticise and question all theories. I didn't do my degree in biology but I bet on the topic of Darwins evolution there's arguments for and against it. At high school you just get taught everything as if it were fact. 95% of society ... [More]
Comment icon #57 Posted by RabidMongoose on 25 June, 2014, 10:59
Even more disturbing, I remember in a sociology class I took in college, we talked about how 10%-15% of women admitted to adultery with stronger, "manlier" men than their husbands to the point of pregnancy, at which point they went back to being loyal and raising the child with the guy who wasn't as manly, but was financially stable. The teacher also mentioned that as many as 30% of men in the US were unwittingly raising children that were not their own, but I don't recall being given a source for that. There does seem to be some concurrence with Kinsey, though. There does seem to be an urge i... [More]
Comment icon #58 Posted by seeder on 25 June, 2014, 11:24
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Maybe this will help, (and if you click the links there are further simple examples) quote: The yellow bellied three-toed skink (Saiphos equalis) is a lizard of New South Wales, in Australia, that appears to be undergoing the change from laying eggs to live birth. Since these skinks can either lay eggs or give birth, it gives scientists the chance to study the adaptations necessary for live birth. Skink embryos encased in an egg have an extra source of c... [More]

'Apocalyptic' cloud hangs over town in Brazil
8-19-2017
Residents of Teixeira de Freitas were treated to a rather unusual and unnerving spectacle this week.
Mysterious doors appear across Nova Scotia
8-19-2017
The freestanding doors have turned up in several towns, leaving local residents scratching their heads.
Can the Yellowstone supervolcano be stopped ?
8-19-2017
NASA has come up with an ambitious new plan to cool down the supervolcano by using it as an energy source.
Mars rovers to focus on the search for life
8-18-2017
Two upcoming Mars rover missions will attempt to determine if the Red Planet was once home to life.
Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

Animal symbiotic relationships
Posted 8-16-2017 | 2 comments
A look at some of the animal species that rely on one another to survive.

How much of the Earth can be seen at once ?
Posted 8-15-2017 | 0 comments
What is the maximum amount of our planet that you can see from any given point ?

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia