Saturday, April 29, 2017

Did male faces evolve to take punches ?

Posted on Tuesday, 10 June, 2014 | Comment icon 58 comments

Early man may have engaged in frequent fist fights. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Cicero Moraes
The facial features of our male ancestors may have been an evolutionary defense against fist fights.
According to a new study, the bones in the face that are most commonly broken in a punch-up saw the greatest increase in strength during our male ancestors' early evolution while our female ancestors saw no such changes.

This suggests that these adaptations were a response to a tendency for males to engage in fist fights, most likely due to violent competition between rivals.

Known as the "protective buttressing hypothesis", the idea has now superseded the previous suggestion that the more robust facial features were in response to a tough diet of seeds and nuts.

"Jaws are one of the most frequent bones to break - and it's not the end of the world now, because we have surgeons, we have modern medicine," said lead author Prof David Carrier.

"But four million years ago, if you broke your jaw, it was probably a fatal injury. You wouldn't be able to chew food... You'd just starve to death."

Source: BBC News | Comments (58)

Tags: Evolution

Comment icon #49 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 June, 2014, 20:00
Logic behind evolution? Please explain what you mean by this, I am confused. Do you think man has always looked like he does today (bar the fashion)? I did find that strange... No logic in a theory based on logic and observation? Compare that to the other theories that in general rely on faith.
Comment icon #50 Posted by bubblykiss on 18 June, 2014, 18:50
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Think non-organic evoluition of cars, shoes, clothing, social systems. They start basic and become more advanced as they progress through time. The same happens with living things. Only slower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ford_Motor_Company
Comment icon #51 Posted by Leonardo on 18 June, 2014, 19:04
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. It's easy. You want smart kids then have sex with a smart man. If you want ugly kids, then have sex with an ugly man. That's a gross oversimplification, of course, and so not entirely true - but I hope it'll help with the making-of-sense.
Comment icon #52 Posted by psyche101 on 19 June, 2014, 5:21
Vikings were actually surprisingly dandy. Well - doesn't the Lloyds Bank coprolite offer a different impression.........
Comment icon #53 Posted by psyche101 on 19 June, 2014, 5:23
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Evolution itself, or the OP's claim?
Comment icon #54 Posted by aquatus1 on 19 June, 2014, 9:06
It's easy. You want smart kids then have sex with a smart man. If you want ugly kids, then have sex with an ugly man. That's a gross oversimplification, of course, and so not entirely true - but I hope it'll help with the making-of-sense. Even more disturbing, I remember in a sociology class I took in college, we talked about how 10%-15% of women admitted to adultery with stronger, "manlier" men than their husbands to the point of pregnancy, at which point they went back to being loyal and raising the child with the guy who wasn't as manly, but was financially stable. The teacher also mentione... [More]
Comment icon #55 Posted by hellwyr on 25 June, 2014, 10:39
stupid only because in contemporary society there is the believe that men hit eachother they think it is evolutionary..... and secondly didnt women look the same.
Comment icon #56 Posted by RabidMongoose on 25 June, 2014, 10:49
my science teacher didn't believe in evolution.. she just could never see the logic in it.. and spent the whole time giving us facts on why there isn't such thing.. like one of them was if there was such thing as evolution we could use apes and monkeys hearts as a transplant.. but the pigs heart is actually closer to a humans.. At uni level they do teach people to criticise and question all theories. I didn't do my degree in biology but I bet on the topic of Darwins evolution there's arguments for and against it. At high school you just get taught everything as if it were fact. 95% of society ... [More]
Comment icon #57 Posted by RabidMongoose on 25 June, 2014, 10:59
Even more disturbing, I remember in a sociology class I took in college, we talked about how 10%-15% of women admitted to adultery with stronger, "manlier" men than their husbands to the point of pregnancy, at which point they went back to being loyal and raising the child with the guy who wasn't as manly, but was financially stable. The teacher also mentioned that as many as 30% of men in the US were unwittingly raising children that were not their own, but I don't recall being given a source for that. There does seem to be some concurrence with Kinsey, though. There does seem to be an urge i... [More]
Comment icon #58 Posted by seeder on 25 June, 2014, 11:24
I still am not convinced. I really don't see the logic behind evolution.. honestly.. I read that article and it just didn't make sense to me. Maybe this will help, (and if you click the links there are further simple examples) quote: The yellow bellied three-toed skink (Saiphos equalis) is a lizard of New South Wales, in Australia, that appears to be undergoing the change from laying eggs to live birth. Since these skinks can either lay eggs or give birth, it gives scientists the chance to study the adaptations necessary for live birth. Skink embryos encased in an egg have an extra source of c... [More]

Real-life Iron Man shows off suit in Vancouver
4-29-2017
The inventor of the impressive flying suit demonstrated his creation at this week's TED conference.
Cassini survives, returns breathtaking images
4-29-2017
NASA's Cassini spacecraft has captured a series of impressive new photos during its death-defying dive.
Time travel is 'mathematically possible'
4-29-2017
According to Professor Ben Tippett, traveling through time is not outside the realms of possibility.
Distant 'ice ball' exoplanet discovered
4-28-2017
Scientists have announced the discovery of a freezing Earth-mass world 13,000 light years away.
Giant Rolo
Posted 4-29-2017 | 0 comments
Barry and James create the world's largest Rolo using piles and piles of chocolate.

Gliding leaf frogs
Posted 4-28-2017 | 0 comments
These remarkable amphibians use their webbed feet to help them glide through the air.

Venus flytrap anemone
Posted 4-27-2017 | 0 comments
A look at one particularly unusual creature which lives down at the bottom of the ocean.

Lightning seen from space
Posted 4-26-2017 | 0 comments
Astronaut Thomas Pesquet captured this footage from the International Space Station.

Slo Mo Guys Inception
Posted 4-25-2017 | 0 comments
Gav and Dan attempt to recreate a scene from Inception involving a bath of cold water.

Is the Boar Man real ?
4-26-2017 | Wichita Mountains, Oklahoma

Possessed boom box 1988
4-26-2017 | Santa Ana

Grandpa's visit
4-14-2017 | Portugal

Mysterious dog
4-14-2017 | Utah

A night to remember
4-14-2017 | Philippines

Am I going crazy ?
3-30-2017 | South Africa

Sleep paralysis or my father ?
3-30-2017 | Los Angeles