Monday, February 20, 2017

Enthusiasts celebrate World UFO Day

Posted on Wednesday, 2 July, 2014 | Comment icon 56 comments

Do you believe in UFOs ? Image Credit: Per Johansson
July 2nd is dedicated to raising awareness of UFOs on the anniversary of the 1947 Roswell incident.
Today is a special day in Ufological circles, a day on which UFO enthusiasts all around the world aim to raise awareness of the phenomenon and to encourage others to look to the skies for signs that we might not be alone.

The date coincides with the anniversary of the infamous UFO crash at Roswell in New Mexico, an event in which a quantity of debris from the craft and even the bodies of its extraterrestrial pilots were allegedly recovered by the US military and then summarily covered up with a story suggesting that the whole thing had been about a crashed weather balloon.

In some places World UFO Day is actually celebrated over a week early on June 24th to coincide with another key event in the history of the phenomenon - the sighting by pilot Kenneth Arnold of several unidentified objects near Mount Rainier, Washington in 1947.

According to a recent National Geographic survey more than 36% of Americans believe that UFOs exist while 11% maintain that they have personally witnessed one.

"Part of the belief in UFOs is an attempt to transcend our sense of aloneness in the universe," said psychologist Stephen Diamond. "If UFOs are indeed real and if indeed they are piloted by sentient beings, then we're no longer alone in the universe, and that's attractive to some people."

Source: USA Today | Comments (56)

Tags: World UFO Day, Roswell

Comment icon #47 Posted by badeskov on 4 July, 2014, 23:30
Comment icon #48 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 0:36
I "celebrated" by pulling out some of my old book from when I was young (ugh) and decided that my skeptical stance is more than justified (not that I didn't know)....... Cheers, Badeskov Sounds like growing up became an "Interrupted Journey."
Comment icon #49 Posted by badeskov on 5 July, 2014, 0:46
Sounds like growing up became an "Interrupted Journey." I wouldn't call it as much as an interrupted journey as a learning experience. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #50 Posted by sinewave on 5 July, 2014, 1:01
I wouldn't call it as much as an interrupted journey as a learning experience. Cheers, Badeskov Exactly, I think we all went through something like that.
Comment icon #51 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 2:31
Exactly, I think we all went through something like that. I still have my copy of the Condon Report. I was quite the sceptic by the end of high school. I assume you're just dead panning the literary reference, badeskov.
Comment icon #52 Posted by badeskov on 5 July, 2014, 5:33
I still have my copy of the Condon Report. I was quite the sceptic by the end of high school. I assume you're just dead panning the literary reference, badeskov. I was quite the skeptic as well. When I was 8-10 years old I loved sitting at the library reading those fanciful books about UFOs, the Bermuda triangle etc. Not so much 5 years later. At that time my critical thinking skills had pretty much weeded out the wheat from the chaff. Cheers, Badeskov Edited to add: plus: girls had gotten interesting
Comment icon #53 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 15:06
Comment icon #54 Posted by Oppono Astos on 5 July, 2014, 15:42
Spaceships and aliens were part of the public imagination long before the flying saucer craze. Trying to recall the book from the 1980s - written as a future historical record of spaceflight. It had the account of a space-line operator being prosecuted for illegal temporal travel, the sole evidence was an antique sci-fi cover which depicted such an encounter as above - the depicted spaceship exactly matched that of the space-line operator.
Comment icon #55 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 16:57
Trying to recall the book from the 1980s - written as a future historical record of spaceflight. It had the account of a space-line operator being prosecuted for illegal temporal travel, the sole evidence was an antique sci-fi cover which depicted such an encounter as above - the depicted spaceship exactly matched that of the space-line operator. Don't recognize it. Maybe one David Drake's Starliner tales.
Comment icon #56 Posted by scowl on 5 July, 2014, 17:48
I was quite the skeptic as well. When I was 8-10 years old I loved sitting at the library reading those fanciful books about UFOs, the Bermuda triangle etc. Not so much 5 years later. At that time my critical thinking skills had pretty much weeded out the wheat from the chaff. I grew up watching shows like "That's Incredible" and "Real People" which featured people demonstrating their amazing ESP powers using conventional magic tricks. I also loved "In Search Of..." which seemed like it had been written by scientists on the edge of incredible discoveries. I didn't become truly skeptical until ... [More]

SpaceX Cape Canaveral launch is a success
2-19-2017
The private space firm has successfully launched a Falcon 9 rocket from NASA's Kennedy Space Center.
Fed up single woman decides to marry herself
2-19-2017
Singleton Lynne Gollogly made the decision following years of failed attempts to find 'Mr Right'.
Mars may be slowly forming a ring system
2-19-2017
Mars may not be the most obvious place to look for rings, but that could soon be set to change.
Scientists aim to harness power of volcanoes
2-18-2017
Efforts are underway in Iceland to find ways of turning the heat from volcanoes in to usable electricity.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Slow motion football explosion
Posted 2-19-2017 | 0 comments
What happens when you over-inflate a football ? The Slo Mo Guys investigate.

Long-term space travel and isolation
Posted 2-18-2017 | 1 comment
Not everyone is cut out for the isolation of traveling long distances through space.

Humphead parrotfish
Posted 2-17-2017 | 1 comment
These bizarre-looking 1.5-meter-long fish can use their teeth to turn coral in to a fine sand.

Catching lightning in a bottle
Posted 2-16-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to catch lightning in a bottle ? Adam Savage investigates.

Most finger snaps in one minute
Posted 2-15-2017 | 3 comments
Japanese university student Satoyuki Fujimura managed 296 fingers snaps in 60 seconds.

Saved by a stranger

1-6-2017 | Southern California

Floating tiles
1-6-2017 | Chewelah, Washington

A haunting in Northern California
12-28-2016 | Northern California

Strange creature in South Africa
12-28-2016 | South Africa, Hoedspruit.