Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Enthusiasts celebrate World UFO Day

Posted on Wednesday, 2 July, 2014 | Comment icon 56 comments

Do you believe in UFOs ? Image Credit: Per Johansson
July 2nd is dedicated to raising awareness of UFOs on the anniversary of the 1947 Roswell incident.
Today is a special day in Ufological circles, a day on which UFO enthusiasts all around the world aim to raise awareness of the phenomenon and to encourage others to look to the skies for signs that we might not be alone.

The date coincides with the anniversary of the infamous UFO crash at Roswell in New Mexico, an event in which a quantity of debris from the craft and even the bodies of its extraterrestrial pilots were allegedly recovered by the US military and then summarily covered up with a story suggesting that the whole thing had been about a crashed weather balloon.

In some places World UFO Day is actually celebrated over a week early on June 24th to coincide with another key event in the history of the phenomenon - the sighting by pilot Kenneth Arnold of several unidentified objects near Mount Rainier, Washington in 1947.

According to a recent National Geographic survey more than 36% of Americans believe that UFOs exist while 11% maintain that they have personally witnessed one.

"Part of the belief in UFOs is an attempt to transcend our sense of aloneness in the universe," said psychologist Stephen Diamond. "If UFOs are indeed real and if indeed they are piloted by sentient beings, then we're no longer alone in the universe, and that's attractive to some people."

Source: USA Today | Comments (56)

Tags: World UFO Day, Roswell

Comment icon #47 Posted by badeskov on 4 July, 2014, 23:30
Comment icon #48 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 0:36
I "celebrated" by pulling out some of my old book from when I was young (ugh) and decided that my skeptical stance is more than justified (not that I didn't know)....... Cheers, Badeskov Sounds like growing up became an "Interrupted Journey."
Comment icon #49 Posted by badeskov on 5 July, 2014, 0:46
Sounds like growing up became an "Interrupted Journey." I wouldn't call it as much as an interrupted journey as a learning experience. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #50 Posted by sinewave on 5 July, 2014, 1:01
I wouldn't call it as much as an interrupted journey as a learning experience. Cheers, Badeskov Exactly, I think we all went through something like that.
Comment icon #51 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 2:31
Exactly, I think we all went through something like that. I still have my copy of the Condon Report. I was quite the sceptic by the end of high school. I assume you're just dead panning the literary reference, badeskov.
Comment icon #52 Posted by badeskov on 5 July, 2014, 5:33
I still have my copy of the Condon Report. I was quite the sceptic by the end of high school. I assume you're just dead panning the literary reference, badeskov. I was quite the skeptic as well. When I was 8-10 years old I loved sitting at the library reading those fanciful books about UFOs, the Bermuda triangle etc. Not so much 5 years later. At that time my critical thinking skills had pretty much weeded out the wheat from the chaff. Cheers, Badeskov Edited to add: plus: girls had gotten interesting
Comment icon #53 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 15:06
Comment icon #54 Posted by Oppono Astos on 5 July, 2014, 15:42
Spaceships and aliens were part of the public imagination long before the flying saucer craze. Trying to recall the book from the 1980s - written as a future historical record of spaceflight. It had the account of a space-line operator being prosecuted for illegal temporal travel, the sole evidence was an antique sci-fi cover which depicted such an encounter as above - the depicted spaceship exactly matched that of the space-line operator.
Comment icon #55 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 16:57
Trying to recall the book from the 1980s - written as a future historical record of spaceflight. It had the account of a space-line operator being prosecuted for illegal temporal travel, the sole evidence was an antique sci-fi cover which depicted such an encounter as above - the depicted spaceship exactly matched that of the space-line operator. Don't recognize it. Maybe one David Drake's Starliner tales.
Comment icon #56 Posted by scowl on 5 July, 2014, 17:48
I was quite the skeptic as well. When I was 8-10 years old I loved sitting at the library reading those fanciful books about UFOs, the Bermuda triangle etc. Not so much 5 years later. At that time my critical thinking skills had pretty much weeded out the wheat from the chaff. I grew up watching shows like "That's Incredible" and "Real People" which featured people demonstrating their amazing ESP powers using conventional magic tricks. I also loved "In Search Of..." which seemed like it had been written by scientists on the edge of incredible discoveries. I didn't become truly skeptical until ... [More]

Blood-filled parasites found trapped in amber
12-13-2017
Palaeontologists have discovered prehistoric parasites that once fed on the blood of dinosaurs.
Man-sized penguin fossil found in New Zealand
12-12-2017
The remains of an enormous prehistoric penguin have been found on a beach to the south of Christchurch.
Frozen lake sounds like a Star Wars battle
12-12-2017
This amazing footage of Gun Lake in Canada reveals the cacophony of strange sounds made by the ice.
Mystery object to be checked for ET signals
12-12-2017
An asteroid thought to have come from another solar system is to be checked for signs of alien technology.
Einstein's brain
Posted 12-13-2017 | 0 comments
After he died, legendary physicist Albert Einstein's brain was preserved for study.

Is happiness contagious ?
Posted 12-12-2017 | 0 comments
Is it possible to become happy by hanging out with other people who are happy ?

Megalodon - the largest shark in history
Posted 12-11-2017 | 0 comments
A look at Megalodon - a truly monstrous creature that once roamed Eath's oceans.

Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Pelican invasion
Posted 12-7-2017 | 0 comments
This curious pelican decided to invade the director's tent during a BBC film shoot.

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom