Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Enthusiasts celebrate World UFO Day

Posted on Wednesday, 2 July, 2014 | Comment icon 56 comments

Do you believe in UFOs ? Image Credit: Per Johansson
July 2nd is dedicated to raising awareness of UFOs on the anniversary of the 1947 Roswell incident.
Today is a special day in Ufological circles, a day on which UFO enthusiasts all around the world aim to raise awareness of the phenomenon and to encourage others to look to the skies for signs that we might not be alone.

The date coincides with the anniversary of the infamous UFO crash at Roswell in New Mexico, an event in which a quantity of debris from the craft and even the bodies of its extraterrestrial pilots were allegedly recovered by the US military and then summarily covered up with a story suggesting that the whole thing had been about a crashed weather balloon.

In some places World UFO Day is actually celebrated over a week early on June 24th to coincide with another key event in the history of the phenomenon - the sighting by pilot Kenneth Arnold of several unidentified objects near Mount Rainier, Washington in 1947.

According to a recent National Geographic survey more than 36% of Americans believe that UFOs exist while 11% maintain that they have personally witnessed one.

"Part of the belief in UFOs is an attempt to transcend our sense of aloneness in the universe," said psychologist Stephen Diamond. "If UFOs are indeed real and if indeed they are piloted by sentient beings, then we're no longer alone in the universe, and that's attractive to some people."

Source: USA Today | Comments (56)

Tags: World UFO Day, Roswell

Comment icon #47 Posted by badeskov on 4 July, 2014, 23:30
I "celebrated" by pulling out some of my old book from when I was young (ugh) and decided that my skeptical stance is more than justified (not that I didn't know)....... Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #48 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 0:36
Sounds like growing up became an "Interrupted Journey."
Comment icon #49 Posted by badeskov on 5 July, 2014, 0:46
I wouldn't call it as much as an interrupted journey as a learning experience. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #50 Posted by sinewave on 5 July, 2014, 1:01
Exactly, I think we all went through something like that.
Comment icon #51 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 2:31
I still have my copy of the Condon Report. I was quite the sceptic by the end of high school. I assume you're just dead panning the literary reference, badeskov.
Comment icon #52 Posted by badeskov on 5 July, 2014, 5:33
I was quite the skeptic as well. When I was 8-10 years old I loved sitting at the library reading those fanciful books about UFOs, the Bermuda triangle etc. Not so much 5 years later. At that time my critical thinking skills had pretty much weeded out the wheat from the chaff. Cheers, Badeskov Edited to add: plus: girls had gotten interesting
Comment icon #53 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 15:06
Spaceships and aliens were part of the public imagination long before the flying saucer craze.
Comment icon #54 Posted by Oppono Astos on 5 July, 2014, 15:42
Trying to recall the book from the 1980s - written as a future historical record of spaceflight. It had the account of a space-line operator being prosecuted for illegal temporal travel, the sole evidence was an antique sci-fi cover which depicted such an encounter as above - the depicted spaceship exactly matched that of the space-line operator.
Comment icon #55 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 16:57
Don't recognize it. Maybe one David Drake's Starliner tales.
Comment icon #56 Posted by scowl on 5 July, 2014, 17:48
I grew up watching shows like "That's Incredible" and "Real People" which featured people demonstrating their amazing ESP powers using conventional magic tricks. I also loved "In Search Of..." which seemed like it had been written by scientists on the edge of incredible discoveries. I didn't become truly skeptical until the late 80's when the celebrated series "Unsolved Mysteries" arrived on NBC. At first I was thrilled to hear about those classic UFO incidents I read about as a kid and see them recreated, but when I saw them recreated... t... [More]

Students report seeing 'alien' in Argentina
5-31-2016
Three witnesses claimed to have encountered the entity around one week ago in the city of Santa Cruz.
Kids in China climb 2,500ft cliff to school
5-30-2016
A school in southwest China is so inaccessible that pupils have to scale a huge cliff just to get there.
Should robots be taught how to feel pain ?
5-30-2016
Researchers from Germany are building an artificial nervous system that will enable robots to feel pain.
Russian family dines with a 7ft brown bear
5-30-2016
The Panteleenkos adopted their bear Stepan when he was just a cub and now they do everything together.
How to sell nothing
Posted 5-31-2016 | 0 comments
Tim returns with a look at some intriguing items which contain absolutely nothing at all.

What if the world ended ?
Posted 5-30-2016 | 4 comments
What would happen in the event of an apocalypse ? Could you survive ?

Why does white noise make you fall asleep ?
Posted 5-29-2016 | 3 comments
What is it about the sound of white noise that sends people off to sleep ?

Simulating Mars atop a volcano
Posted 5-28-2016 | 0 comments
Six scientists have been living an isolated existence to simulate a mission to Mars.

Seeking new antibiotics under the sea
Posted 5-27-2016 | 1 comment
Scientists are seeking new treatments for antibiotic-resistant infections beneath the waves.

Not in our jurisdiction

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas