Monday, August 21, 2017

Enthusiasts celebrate World UFO Day

Posted on Wednesday, 2 July, 2014 | Comment icon 56 comments

Do you believe in UFOs ? Image Credit: Per Johansson
July 2nd is dedicated to raising awareness of UFOs on the anniversary of the 1947 Roswell incident.
Today is a special day in Ufological circles, a day on which UFO enthusiasts all around the world aim to raise awareness of the phenomenon and to encourage others to look to the skies for signs that we might not be alone.

The date coincides with the anniversary of the infamous UFO crash at Roswell in New Mexico, an event in which a quantity of debris from the craft and even the bodies of its extraterrestrial pilots were allegedly recovered by the US military and then summarily covered up with a story suggesting that the whole thing had been about a crashed weather balloon.

In some places World UFO Day is actually celebrated over a week early on June 24th to coincide with another key event in the history of the phenomenon - the sighting by pilot Kenneth Arnold of several unidentified objects near Mount Rainier, Washington in 1947.

According to a recent National Geographic survey more than 36% of Americans believe that UFOs exist while 11% maintain that they have personally witnessed one.

"Part of the belief in UFOs is an attempt to transcend our sense of aloneness in the universe," said psychologist Stephen Diamond. "If UFOs are indeed real and if indeed they are piloted by sentient beings, then we're no longer alone in the universe, and that's attractive to some people."

Source: USA Today | Comments (56)

Tags: World UFO Day, Roswell

Comment icon #47 Posted by badeskov on 4 July, 2014, 23:30
Comment icon #48 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 0:36
I "celebrated" by pulling out some of my old book from when I was young (ugh) and decided that my skeptical stance is more than justified (not that I didn't know)....... Cheers, Badeskov Sounds like growing up became an "Interrupted Journey."
Comment icon #49 Posted by badeskov on 5 July, 2014, 0:46
Sounds like growing up became an "Interrupted Journey." I wouldn't call it as much as an interrupted journey as a learning experience. Cheers, Badeskov
Comment icon #50 Posted by sinewave on 5 July, 2014, 1:01
I wouldn't call it as much as an interrupted journey as a learning experience. Cheers, Badeskov Exactly, I think we all went through something like that.
Comment icon #51 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 2:31
Exactly, I think we all went through something like that. I still have my copy of the Condon Report. I was quite the sceptic by the end of high school. I assume you're just dead panning the literary reference, badeskov.
Comment icon #52 Posted by badeskov on 5 July, 2014, 5:33
I still have my copy of the Condon Report. I was quite the sceptic by the end of high school. I assume you're just dead panning the literary reference, badeskov. I was quite the skeptic as well. When I was 8-10 years old I loved sitting at the library reading those fanciful books about UFOs, the Bermuda triangle etc. Not so much 5 years later. At that time my critical thinking skills had pretty much weeded out the wheat from the chaff. Cheers, Badeskov Edited to add: plus: girls had gotten interesting
Comment icon #53 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 15:06
Comment icon #54 Posted by Oppono Astos on 5 July, 2014, 15:42
Spaceships and aliens were part of the public imagination long before the flying saucer craze. Trying to recall the book from the 1980s - written as a future historical record of spaceflight. It had the account of a space-line operator being prosecuted for illegal temporal travel, the sole evidence was an antique sci-fi cover which depicted such an encounter as above - the depicted spaceship exactly matched that of the space-line operator.
Comment icon #55 Posted by John Wesley Boyd on 5 July, 2014, 16:57
Trying to recall the book from the 1980s - written as a future historical record of spaceflight. It had the account of a space-line operator being prosecuted for illegal temporal travel, the sole evidence was an antique sci-fi cover which depicted such an encounter as above - the depicted spaceship exactly matched that of the space-line operator. Don't recognize it. Maybe one David Drake's Starliner tales.
Comment icon #56 Posted by scowl on 5 July, 2014, 17:48
I was quite the skeptic as well. When I was 8-10 years old I loved sitting at the library reading those fanciful books about UFOs, the Bermuda triangle etc. Not so much 5 years later. At that time my critical thinking skills had pretty much weeded out the wheat from the chaff. I grew up watching shows like "That's Incredible" and "Real People" which featured people demonstrating their amazing ESP powers using conventional magic tricks. I also loved "In Search Of..." which seemed like it had been written by scientists on the edge of incredible discoveries. I didn't become truly skeptical until ... [More]

Mystery microbe may be key to origin of viruses
8-21-2017
The microorganism was discovered in the lakes of the Rauer Islands off the coast of Antarctica.
There won't always be total solar eclipses
8-21-2017
One day, the Moon will have moved so far away that a total solar eclipse will no longer be possible.
Man has a live gecko removed from his ear
8-20-2017
A man in China got the surprise of his life after visiting the doctor with severe pain in his ear.
Three-mile-wide asteroid to pass by the Earth
8-20-2017
The huge space rock is due to pass within a safe distance of our planet at the beginning of September.
How to watch the eclipse
Posted 8-21-2017 | 4 comments
Staring at the Sun is dangerous. Here's how to watch the eclipse without damaging your eyes.

The napkin ring problem
Posted 8-20-2017 | 0 comments
Why is it that any two 'napkin rings' cut from any sizes of spherical object will have equal volume ?

Why don't we use our parent's names?
Posted 8-19-2017 | 2 comments
Why do we call our parents mom and dad instead of using their actual names ?

Adam Savage meets an alien
Posted 8-18-2017 | 2 comments
The former MythBuster checks out the animatronic alien from the movie Alien Covenant.

Concrete blocks chest smash
Posted 8-17-2017 | 0 comments
Multiple world record holder Ali Bahcetepe has 16 concrete blocks smashed on his chest.

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY

Shapeshifter
8-18-2017 | Cranbrook British Columbia

Ghost experiences ?
8-11-2017 | United States

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia