Friday, December 2, 2016

San Clemente mystery dolls case solved

Posted on Friday, 25 July, 2014 | Comment icon 23 comments

The dolls had caused concern among the locals. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Police officers had been called in to investigate after strange dolls started appearing on doorsteps.
Residents were left baffled and concerned when the porcelain dolls, which had started to show up outside homes around the neighborhood, were found to resemble the young girls who happened to live at those addresses.

A total of 11 dolls were left however there were no notes to explain the purpose behind them. "Is it a prank? Is there some specific motivation?" asked Lt. Jeff Hallock.

"Obviously, there’s an indication by some of the parents that the dolls resemble their daughters. Anything that has the potential to involve children causes us some concern."

Investigators were eventually able to trace the dolls back to an adult female who lived in the local area who it was believed had left the dolls as a gesture of goodwill.

Officers concluded that nothing malicious had been intended and the families who had received the dolls have now had their minds put at ease.

"Investigators have concluded that her motivation was out of goodwill and that she intended it as a kind gesture," the police department wrote in a press release.

Source: KTLA | Comments (23)

Tags: Dolls, Police

Comment icon #14 Posted by Calibeliever on 25 July, 2014, 15:35
Sad commentary on how our society has devolved into a state "paranoid isolationism" where even random acts of kindness are no longer appreciated or perhaps even understood. My thoughts exactly. In a world where we don't talk to our neighbors, misunderstandings are going to happen. It was probably some sweet old woman who wanted to do something nice for the kids and everybody had a kaniption ... glad it wasn't anything malicious though.
Comment icon #15 Posted by ancient astronaut on 25 July, 2014, 16:12
Annabelle.
Comment icon #16 Posted by maximusnow on 25 July, 2014, 18:35
Dang! buble buster.
Comment icon #17 Posted by Ryu on 25 July, 2014, 19:40
My thoughts exactly. In a world where we don't talk to our neighbors, misunderstandings are going to happen. It was probably some sweet old woman who wanted to do something nice for the kids and everybody had a kaniption ... glad it wasn't anything malicious though. Apparently it was a just a woman, a nun I recall, who did it out of good will. I mean, if you look at any doll you might see a vague resemblance to a real kid but what really irked me was how many felt it was "disturbing" because there were no threatening notes. So..someone leaves a pretty doll and people get all hyper because ther... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by Zero Fox FK on 25 July, 2014, 19:42
Uh huh, yeah. The parents have now put their mind at ease. I don't believe that for a second. Dolls are creepy to begin with, I don't need them to resemble my daughter and be given by some creepy lady. I wouldn't be surprised if she was using the dolls as some sort of anti-aging ritual to make herself young again
Comment icon #19 Posted by cenobite on 3 August, 2014, 18:56
wow what a gracious act, a lovely doll as a gesture of goodwill, she obviously has all her faculties
Comment icon #20 Posted by Rei4ever on 6 August, 2014, 5:47
Sounds like a Chucky movie!
Comment icon #21 Posted by karmen elektra on 6 August, 2014, 16:22
Why do the dolls look like the girls, though? Did she make them? I would have just thrown them in the garbage and called it a day, instead of making a big ruckus over them.
Comment icon #22 Posted by Ichihara on 6 August, 2014, 22:54
good intentions or not, thats weird.
Comment icon #23 Posted by IBelieveWhatIWant on 7 August, 2014, 3:22
My thoughts exactly. In a world where we don't talk to our neighbors, misunderstandings are going to happen. It was probably some sweet old woman who wanted to do something nice for the kids and everybody had a kaniption ... glad it wasn't anything malicious though. When I was somewhere around 11 or 12. I was walking home from the milk bar when an elderly lady asked me to help bring in her shopping for $5. I wanted to help her but I just couldn't get over the risks involved in doing such a thing. So I went home told my mum and she said it was good what I did but it was sad that no one can be t... [More]

Man is attempting to swim across the Atlantic
12-2-2016
British swimmer Ben Hooper has embarked on a seemingly impossible feat of strength and endurance.
Global warming 'beyond point of no return'
12-2-2016
A groundbreaking new study suggests that scientists have underestimated the impact of climate change.
'Breakthrough' will make chocolate healthier
12-1-2016
Swiss food giant Nestle has found a way to reduce sugar in chocolate by 40% without affecting the taste.
Road in Siberia ends up coated in green snow
12-1-2016
The bizarre spectacle occurred after a pipe burst and water from a drainage well rose to the surface.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 6 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 4 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Pulling a fire engine
Posted 11-30-2016 | 0 comments
Strongman Kevin Fast and his two sons manage to pull a fire engine over 100ft.

How to jump from the edge of space
Posted 11-29-2016 | 2 comments
In 2014, Alan Eustace donned a special spacesuit and jumped from over 135,000 feet.

Don't mix Coca-Cola with liquid nitrogen
Posted 11-28-2016 | 6 comments
A look at what happens when you add liquid nitrogen to a half-empty bottle of Coke.

Not my daughter