Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Indian teenage girl marries a stray dog

Posted on Thursday, 4 September, 2014 | Comment icon 38 comments

Many girls from the village get married in the same way. Image Credit: sxc.hu
An unusual wedding ceremony has seen an 18-year-old marry her four-legged groom in front of 70 people.
Mangli Munda, a resident of a remote village in the Indian state of Jharkhand, took part in the ceremony after a local guru was able to convince her parents that she was under an evil spell that prevented her from marrying a man.

"I am marrying a dog because the village elders believe that my evil spell will be passed on to the dog," she said. "After that is done, the man I will marry will have a long life."

Weddings involving girls being married to dogs are not uncommon in the village. The canines are typically decked out in the same ceremonial garments that a human groom would wear.

"My villagers say that many girls like me have followed this ritual and they have gotten rid of their evil spells and are living happy lives now," said Munda. "This is a custom that we thoroughly believe in."

Source: New York Post | Comments (38)

Tags: Marriage, Dog, India

Comment icon #29 Posted by qxcontinuum on 5 September, 2014, 15:09
. sure. paedophiles have legitimate points of view too huh...? "nonce sense". . Or arabs that stone raped women to death....
Comment icon #30 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 September, 2014, 16:33
We should respect that this girl is marrying a dog? I don't think so. Nowhere did I say you should do anything so relax. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't give a toss what this girl does because I respect its her life to live and her decision to make, not mine yours or anyone else's.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Myles on 5 September, 2014, 18:48
Nowhere did I say you should do anything so relax. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't give a toss what this girl does because I respect its her life to live and her decision to make, not mine yours or anyone else's. Sorry, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the person who said we should respect her.
Comment icon #32 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 September, 2014, 19:03
Sorry, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the person who said we should respect her. No harm no foul. I only responded because I saw my post quoted. Its cool.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Lilly on 5 September, 2014, 19:12
The way I understand this is that the young lady married the dog to somehow 'trick' the curse. It's not a real marriage in the western sense of a real marriage. In other words...the dog is going to live as a dog. In time the young lady will be free to marry a man and the curse won't bother her any more. Not saying I believe this mind you, just that this is what those folks believe.
Comment icon #34 Posted by stevemagegod on 5 September, 2014, 23:24
I sense some Zoophilia in her future.
Comment icon #35 Posted by shrooma on 6 September, 2014, 1:49
Or arabs that stone raped women to death.... . some "culture" eh QX! .
Comment icon #36 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 12 September, 2014, 12:04
wondering how the honeymoon is going to turn out. That's a mental image I can live without.
Comment icon #37 Posted by Ralaman on 18 September, 2014, 21:35
And we wonder why advanced civilizations have not contacted us...
Comment icon #38 Posted by kobolds on 1 October, 2014, 8:10
Question, is the owner of the dog also own the dog wife ?

'Maerdy Monster' is new species of millipede
3-28-2017
Scientists in the UK have discovered a previously unknown species of millipede at an old Welsh coal mine.
Australia's own 'Jurassic Park' discovered
3-27-2017
Scientists have identified a site containing thousands of footprints from 21 different dinosaur species.
Creepy face caught peering out of empty car
3-27-2017
A car enthusiast got quite a surprise when he reviewed a recent photograph he'd taken of his vehicle.
1,200ft-wide UFO reported over Gulf of Mexico
3-26-2017
A crew member of an offshore supply ship claimed the object was 'five times the size' of his vessel.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Mythical monsters
Posted 3-28-2017 | 1 comment
Jeremy Wade investigates the stories behind some of the world's best known monster myths.

6ft rockets in slow motion
Posted 3-27-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys use their high-speed camera to record some rocket launches.

Most watched animal on YouTube
Posted 3-26-2017 | 2 comments
Maru the cat has accumulated more views than any other animal on the video sharing site.

ALMA's 100-ton antennas
Posted 3-25-2017 | 0 comments
A special vehicle is used to carry ALMA's ultra-heavy antennas in to place in the desert.

How do we find lost satellites ?
Posted 3-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the methods scientists use to locate spacecraft with which contact has been lost.

My nightly occurrences