Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Indian teenage girl marries a stray dog

Posted on Thursday, 4 September, 2014 | Comment icon 38 comments

Many girls from the village get married in the same way. Image Credit: sxc.hu
An unusual wedding ceremony has seen an 18-year-old marry her four-legged groom in front of 70 people.
Mangli Munda, a resident of a remote village in the Indian state of Jharkhand, took part in the ceremony after a local guru was able to convince her parents that she was under an evil spell that prevented her from marrying a man.

"I am marrying a dog because the village elders believe that my evil spell will be passed on to the dog," she said. "After that is done, the man I will marry will have a long life."

Weddings involving girls being married to dogs are not uncommon in the village. The canines are typically decked out in the same ceremonial garments that a human groom would wear.

"My villagers say that many girls like me have followed this ritual and they have gotten rid of their evil spells and are living happy lives now," said Munda. "This is a custom that we thoroughly believe in."

Source: New York Post | Comments (38)

Tags: Marriage, Dog, India

Comment icon #29 Posted by qxcontinuum on 5 September, 2014, 15:09
. sure. paedophiles have legitimate points of view too huh...? "nonce sense". . Or arabs that stone raped women to death....
Comment icon #30 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 September, 2014, 16:33
We should respect that this girl is marrying a dog? I don't think so. Nowhere did I say you should do anything so relax. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't give a toss what this girl does because I respect its her life to live and her decision to make, not mine yours or anyone else's.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Myles on 5 September, 2014, 18:48
Nowhere did I say you should do anything so relax. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't give a toss what this girl does because I respect its her life to live and her decision to make, not mine yours or anyone else's. Sorry, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the person who said we should respect her.
Comment icon #32 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 September, 2014, 19:03
Sorry, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the person who said we should respect her. No harm no foul. I only responded because I saw my post quoted. Its cool.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Lilly on 5 September, 2014, 19:12
The way I understand this is that the young lady married the dog to somehow 'trick' the curse. It's not a real marriage in the western sense of a real marriage. In other words...the dog is going to live as a dog. In time the young lady will be free to marry a man and the curse won't bother her any more. Not saying I believe this mind you, just that this is what those folks believe.
Comment icon #34 Posted by stevemagegod on 5 September, 2014, 23:24
I sense some Zoophilia in her future.
Comment icon #35 Posted by shrooma on 6 September, 2014, 1:49
Or arabs that stone raped women to death.... . some "culture" eh QX! .
Comment icon #36 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 12 September, 2014, 12:04
wondering how the honeymoon is going to turn out. That's a mental image I can live without.
Comment icon #37 Posted by Ralaman on 18 September, 2014, 21:35
And we wonder why advanced civilizations have not contacted us...
Comment icon #38 Posted by kobolds on 1 October, 2014, 8:10
Question, is the owner of the dog also own the dog wife ?

Neil Armstrong's bag could fetch up to $4M
5-23-2017
A bag used by the late astronaut to collect samples during the Apollo 11 mission is to be sold at auction.
What caused the Hindenburg to catch fire ?
5-23-2017
80 years on from the disaster, the exact cause of the inferno that destroyed the airship remains unclear.
Europe, not Africa, was birthplace of mankind
5-23-2017
A remarkable new palaeontological discovery in Europe could rewrite the history of human evolution.
UFO dossier may be released after UK election
5-22-2017
A selection of previously withheld documents about UFOs could be seeing a release in the near future.
Falcon vs car
Posted 5-23-2017 | 5 comments
Can the fastest bird of prey in level flight manage to fly faster than a speeding car ?

Ants are better at growing food than we are
Posted 5-21-2017 | 1 comment
They may be small, but ants have been farming their own food for a lot longer than humans have.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on Europa
Posted 5-20-2017 | 0 comments
The popular astrophysicist talks about finding life beneath the surface of Europa.

Everest earthquake
Posted 5-19-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the harrowing moments before the devastating avalanche at Mount Everest in 2015.

Fastest time drinking maple syrup
Posted 5-18-2017 | 0 comments
'L.A. Beast' glugs down the whole bottle in under 11 seconds - don't try this at home.

Someone is on my bed