Sunday, May 1, 2016   |   5,381 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Indian teenage girl marries a stray dog

Posted on Thursday, 4 September, 2014 | Comment icon 38 comments

Many girls from the village get married in the same way. Image Credit: sxc.hu
An unusual wedding ceremony has seen an 18-year-old marry her four-legged groom in front of 70 people.
Mangli Munda, a resident of a remote village in the Indian state of Jharkhand, took part in the ceremony after a local guru was able to convince her parents that she was under an evil spell that prevented her from marrying a man.

"I am marrying a dog because the village elders believe that my evil spell will be passed on to the dog," she said. "After that is done, the man I will marry will have a long life."

Weddings involving girls being married to dogs are not uncommon in the village. The canines are typically decked out in the same ceremonial garments that a human groom would wear.

"My villagers say that many girls like me have followed this ritual and they have gotten rid of their evil spells and are living happy lives now," said Munda. "This is a custom that we thoroughly believe in."

Source: New York Post | Comments (38)

Tags: Marriage, Dog, India

Comment icon #29 Posted by qxcontinuum on 5 September, 2014, 15:09
Or arabs that stone raped women to death....
Comment icon #30 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 September, 2014, 16:33
Nowhere did I say you should do anything so relax. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't give a toss what this girl does because I respect its her life to live and her decision to make, not mine yours or anyone else's.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Myles on 5 September, 2014, 18:48
Sorry, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the person who said we should respect her.
Comment icon #32 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 September, 2014, 19:03
No harm no foul. I only responded because I saw my post quoted. Its cool.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Lilly on 5 September, 2014, 19:12
The way I understand this is that the young lady married the dog to somehow 'trick' the curse. It's not a real marriage in the western sense of a real marriage. In other words...the dog is going to live as a dog. In time the young lady will be free to marry a man and the curse won't bother her any more. Not saying I believe this mind you, just that this is what those folks believe.
Comment icon #34 Posted by stevemagegod on 5 September, 2014, 23:24
Comment icon #35 Posted by shrooma on 6 September, 2014, 1:49
. some "culture" eh QX! .
Comment icon #36 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 12 September, 2014, 12:04
That's a mental image I can live without.
Comment icon #37 Posted by Ralaman on 18 September, 2014, 21:35
And we wonder why advanced civilizations have not contacted us...
Comment icon #38 Posted by kobolds on 1 October, 2014, 8:10
Question, is the owner of the dog also own the dog wife ?

Users online:
5,640,894
257,371
129,097
5,381

NASA reveals telescope's giant golden mirror
4-30-2016
The impressive gold-coated mirror of the James Webb Space Telescope has been revealed in all its glory.
Weasel shuts down the Large Hadron Collider
4-30-2016
The world's largest atom smasher was immobilized this week by an inquisitive four-legged visitor.
Incredible new jellyfish species discovered
4-29-2016
Scientists exploring the depths of the Mariana Trench have come across an otherworldly looking creature.
Robotic 'mermaid' retrieves deep sea treasure
4-29-2016
Scientists have been using a diving robot to recover valuables from a famous 17th century shipwreck.
A very satisfying video
Posted 4-30-2016 | 0 comments
A compilation of strange, yet extraordinarily satisfying videos of things being made.

Extreme backbending
Posted 4-29-2016 | 1 comment
Contortionist Julia Gunthel sets an eye-watering new record for bending her back.

Are dire wolves real animals ?
Posted 4-28-2016 | 3 comments
The huge wolves in Game of Thrones are not as far-fetched as they may seem.

How are candy canes made ?
Posted 4-27-2016 | 1 comment
A look at the manufacturing processes involved in the creation of candy canes.

You won't believe your eyes
Posted 4-26-2016 | 1 comment
A look at a remarkable gadget that produces images through a spinning LED array.

Paralyzed
4-15-2016 | United States

The mysterious awakening
4-6-2016 | Los Angeles, California

Chocolate fairy? Really?
4-6-2016 | United Kingdom

Christmas Day haunting
4-6-2016 | London, UK

The funeral director
3-30-2016 | Hebburn, England

A strange sighting in Spain
3-30-2016 | Albatera, Spain

Dust patterns on basement floor
3-27-2016 | Smithville, Texas

The old man and the red-eyed girl
3-14-2016 | Tennessee