Monday, December 11, 2017

Indian teenage girl marries a stray dog

Posted on Thursday, 4 September, 2014 | Comment icon 38 comments

Many girls from the village get married in the same way. Image Credit: sxc.hu
An unusual wedding ceremony has seen an 18-year-old marry her four-legged groom in front of 70 people.
Mangli Munda, a resident of a remote village in the Indian state of Jharkhand, took part in the ceremony after a local guru was able to convince her parents that she was under an evil spell that prevented her from marrying a man.

"I am marrying a dog because the village elders believe that my evil spell will be passed on to the dog," she said. "After that is done, the man I will marry will have a long life."

Weddings involving girls being married to dogs are not uncommon in the village. The canines are typically decked out in the same ceremonial garments that a human groom would wear.

"My villagers say that many girls like me have followed this ritual and they have gotten rid of their evil spells and are living happy lives now," said Munda. "This is a custom that we thoroughly believe in."

Source: New York Post | Comments (38)

Tags: Marriage, Dog, India

Comment icon #29 Posted by qxcontinuum on 5 September, 2014, 15:09
. sure. paedophiles have legitimate points of view too huh...? "nonce sense". . Or arabs that stone raped women to death....
Comment icon #30 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 September, 2014, 16:33
We should respect that this girl is marrying a dog? I don't think so. Nowhere did I say you should do anything so relax. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't give a toss what this girl does because I respect its her life to live and her decision to make, not mine yours or anyone else's.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Myles on 5 September, 2014, 18:48
Nowhere did I say you should do anything so relax. Basically what I'm saying is I really don't give a toss what this girl does because I respect its her life to live and her decision to make, not mine yours or anyone else's. Sorry, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the person who said we should respect her.
Comment icon #32 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 September, 2014, 19:03
Sorry, I wasn't replying to you. I was replying to the person who said we should respect her. No harm no foul. I only responded because I saw my post quoted. Its cool.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Lilly on 5 September, 2014, 19:12
The way I understand this is that the young lady married the dog to somehow 'trick' the curse. It's not a real marriage in the western sense of a real marriage. In other words...the dog is going to live as a dog. In time the young lady will be free to marry a man and the curse won't bother her any more. Not saying I believe this mind you, just that this is what those folks believe.
Comment icon #34 Posted by stevemagegod on 5 September, 2014, 23:24
I sense some Zoophilia in her future.
Comment icon #35 Posted by shrooma on 6 September, 2014, 1:49
Or arabs that stone raped women to death.... . some "culture" eh QX! .
Comment icon #36 Posted by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR: on 12 September, 2014, 12:04
wondering how the honeymoon is going to turn out. That's a mental image I can live without.
Comment icon #37 Posted by Ralaman on 18 September, 2014, 21:35
And we wonder why advanced civilizations have not contacted us...
Comment icon #38 Posted by kobolds on 1 October, 2014, 8:10
Question, is the owner of the dog also own the dog wife ?

Shoes were hidden in walls to ward off witches
12-10-2017
A growing number of old shoes have been discovered concealed inside the walls of British homes.
Mummy discovered in unexplored Luxor tomb
12-10-2017
Archaeologists have uncovered an unidentified mummy within a previously unexplored tomb near Luxor, Egypt.
Woman has eclipse burned on to her retinas
12-9-2017
One viewer of August's total solar eclipse ended up with eye damage in the exact shape of the Sun.
$450 million da Vinci painting buyer revealed
12-9-2017
The mystery of who paid $450 million for Leonardo da Vinci's 'Salvator Mundi' has now been solved.
Pizza night - in space
Posted 12-8-2017 | 0 comments
ISS astronauts try their hand at putting together pizzas high up in orbit around the Earth.

Pelican invasion
Posted 12-7-2017 | 0 comments
This curious pelican decided to invade the director's tent during a BBC film shoot.

113 pancakes in 8 minutes
Posted 12-5-2017 | 0 comments
Record-breaking speed-eater Matt Stonie scoffs an incredible 113 silver dollar pancakes.

Is the Great Barrier Reef really dead ?
Posted 12-1-2017 | 2 comments
Reports of the natural wonder's demise may be somewhat exaggerated.

How did the lunar landers re-launch ?
Posted 11-30-2017 | 6 comments
How did the landers manage to launch back in to space when the Moon has no oxygen ?

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States

Ouija board experience
12-10-2017 | Ohio

Strange occurrences
11-15-2017 | Fife

Mysterious music box song
11-15-2017 | U.S.A

Haunted military house
10-23-2017 | New Zealand

Sleep paralysis or real encounter?
10-18-2017 | United Kingdom