Monday, December 5, 2016

'Exploding teeth' case continues to perplex

Posted on Friday, 4 March, 2016 | Comment icon 13 comments

Dentistry in the 19th Century wasn't like it is today. Image Credit: CC By 4.0 Wellcome Library, London
Back in the 19th Century a Pennsylvania dentist wrote about a bizarre and nightmarish dental phenomenon.
The first reported case of this anomalous condition was in 1817 when a clergyman from Springfield reported experiencing excrutiating pain in one of his teeth that nobody was able to explain.

"During his agonies he ran about here and there, in the vain endeavor to obtain some respite; at one time boring his head on the ground like an enraged animal," wrote Dentist WH Atkinson.

Most intriguing of all however was what eventually relieved the poor Reverend of his discomfort.

"At 9:00 the next morning, as he was walking the floor in wild delirium, all at once a sharp crack, like a pistol shot, bursting his tooth to fragments, gave him instant relief," Atkinson wrote.

Another similar case of 'exploding teeth' occurred 13 years later when a woman who lived nearby also experienced extreme toothache which disappeared after a sudden 'bursting' of the tooth.

The phenomenon was also reported in 1871 by dentist J Phelps Hibler who treated a young woman whose excruciating toothache suddenly concluded when her tooth 'exploded' with such force and at such high volume that it knocked her over and caused her to go deaf for several days afterwards.

One possible explanation for this bizarre condition revolves around the idea that decay within a tooth can cause a build-up of gas that eventually explodes, however Hugh Devlin, Professor in Restorative Dentistry at the University of Manchester’s School of Dentistry, has his doubts.

"It is highly unlikely that gas could build up in a tooth sufficient to cause it to explode – teeth are extremely strong," he said.

Another theory is that a combination of two different metals within a patient's filling can potentially produce a spontaneous electrolysis effect and a build-up of hydrogen within the tooth, however there is nothing to indicate that any of the patients actually had any fillings.

The phenomenon, it seems, remains as much of a mystery now as it was almost 200 years ago.

Source: BBC.com | Comments (13)

Tags: Exploding Teeth, Dentist

Comment icon #4 Posted by bubblykiss on 4 March, 2016, 4:44
I have nightmares about injuries to my teeth...you know, shattering, breaking, falling out en masse....so I believe I will avoid reading what is fuel for the fire of my nightmares.
Comment icon #5 Posted by seeder on 4 March, 2016, 4:50
I'd imagine once a tooth is so infected, the puss could eventually explode the tooth Perhaps a build up of gasses caused by rot too
Comment icon #6 Posted by Ell on 4 March, 2016, 23:13
The pulpa is naturally at a very high pressure, causing the dentals to function as shock-absorbers - which is very necessary with all the chewing they do. The exploding teeth seem to be an extreme variant of this natural and ordinary phenomenon of high pressure pulpae.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 5 March, 2016, 0:04
Perhaps odontogenic tumors, that is tumors of the jaw that form from tooth tissue. I best I recall, there are a variety to include some that become a part of a tooth, continue to grow, and could, I imagine, shatter a tooth. Much to thankful for with regard to modern dentistry.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Mark56 on 5 March, 2016, 2:27
Comment icon #9 Posted by Lilly on 5 March, 2016, 2:49
Why didn't they just pull the offending tooth? This really makes little sense IMO.
Comment icon #10 Posted by qxcontinuum on 6 March, 2016, 5:55
I have a really cute Dentist. She's Chinese or Korean, not sure, and looks like she's in her early, mid 20's or so (I'm sure she's much older). I'm so smitten with her gentle femininity that all all my anxiety about going to the dentist just melts away. what's her number ?
Comment icon #11 Posted by Dragan on 7 March, 2016, 15:25
I have a really cute Dentist. She's Chinese or Korean, not sure, and looks like she's in her early, mid 20's or so (I'm sure she's much older). I'm so smitten with her gentle femininity that all all my anxiety about going to the dentist just melts away. Lol
Comment icon #12 Posted by GooteyBootey on 11 March, 2016, 4:30
Ugh I'm on a forum about the paranormal, and THIS is by far the creepiest thing I've seen. Didn't need to sleep anyway...
Comment icon #13 Posted by seeder on 11 March, 2016, 4:38
I have a really cute Dentist. She's Chinese or Korean, not sure, and looks like she's in her early, mid 20's or so (I'm sure she's much older). I'm so smitten with her gentle femininity that all all my anxiety about going to the dentist just melts away. thats the thing with lady-boys... they make you feel special,,,,,

Virgin Galactic test flight proves a success
12-5-2016
Richard Branson's fledgling space tourism firm is back on track following a fatal crash two years ago.
Could alien life thrive on brown dwarf stars?
12-4-2016
Extrasolar planets may not be the only place where it is possible to find signs of extraterrestrial life.
Buzz Aldrin is evacuated from Antarctica
12-4-2016
The Apollo 11 astronaut fell ill just after becoming the oldest person ever to visit the South Pole.
Giant air-breathing fish found in the Amazon
12-3-2016
A new species of the mysterious arapaima has been discovered in the remote backwaters of the Amazon.
Featured book

By Toryn Chapman
Campbell Mackenzie is a successful lawyer with occasional feelings of déjà vu. There's just one problem, though - it's not déjà vu.
Top 10 facts about James Webb Telescope
Posted 12-4-2016 | 0 comments
A look at the upcoming orbital observatory and what it will see in the depths of space.

Jumping widowbirds
Posted 12-3-2016 | 2 comments
These male widowbirds are competing to see which of them can jump the highest.

Why do we like shiny things ?
Posted 12-2-2016 | 7 comments
Why do we seem to be intrinsically drawn from an early age to shiny objects ?

Why are dogs so different ?
Posted 12-1-2016 | 5 comments
Despite being the same species, various breeds of dogs can be very different indeed.

Pulling a fire engine
Posted 11-30-2016 | 0 comments
Strongman Kevin Fast and his two sons manage to pull a fire engine over 100ft.

Not my daughter