Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Massive snakeskin supports 'Wessie' rumors

Posted on Wednesday, 24 August, 2016 | Comment icon 14 comments
A huge snakeskin measuring 12ft in length has been found near Riverbank Park in the US state of Maine.
Discovered by a member of the public at around 3pm on Saturday, the skin has since attracted the attention of local police officers who have been working to photograph and document it.

The find has been linked to reports of a particularly large snake nicknamed "Wessie" that has been sighted several times in the area. While it isn't clear whether the skin belongs to that particular snake, if it does then it would corroborate claims that the creature is over 12ft long.

"Westbrook Police Officers responded, photographed, collected, and tagged the skin which will be examined in attempts to determine what type of snake shed it and what risks this type of snake poses to public safety," the department wrote on its Facebook page.

According to cryptozoologist Bill Brock however the snakeskin discovery may be a bit suspect.

"That thing was laid out in a way that kind of suggests that someone just literally laid it there, and I’m pretty sure that’s how the snakeskin got there, but I do think Wessie is real, and I do think Wessie is out at the Riverbank Park somewhere," he said.

Whether officers will be able to get to the bottom of the mystery however remains to be seen.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (14)

Tags: Wessie, Snake, Maine

Comment icon #5 Posted by paperdyer on 24 August, 2016, 15:45
Regardless whether it's 10 ft or 12 ft, I want no part of it!
Comment icon #6 Posted by BeastieRunner on 24 August, 2016, 21:50
That's a big snake ... I hope they find it!
Comment icon #7 Posted by stereologist on 25 August, 2016, 0:00
I find snakes in my house every fall.  Sometimes it is the live snake. Sometimes it is just a snake skin. The snake skins can be any place imaginable.  I do not mind the snakes. They are temporary visitors that are trying to keep what would like to permanent visitors out of my house. I do find it interesting that the skin was fairly linear. Rat snakes and brown racers do not do that where I live. But we are not dealing with that species since the skin is much longer than what those snakes could grow to. I doubt the snake will be located. What we d know from the Everglades is that snake should ... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 25 August, 2016, 2:22
No snakes inside, but I make sure that if I find any on my property I treat them well and not disturb them--except to move them out of the yard so I don't hit them with the mower  They kill vermin, and as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome here as long for as long as I am here.
Comment icon #9 Posted by stereologist on 25 August, 2016, 12:50
I was thinking about the snake skin being laid out straight. I'll bet that was done to measure its length. A snake usually does some rubbing to remove the old skin.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 25 August, 2016, 15:14
I have seen a couple fairly straight ones around here, but mostly they're all bunched up. I've never seen a 10ft snakeskin....yikes.  I have seen at least 6ft of black snake slithering off into the grass near the barn....please note that I didn't see it's head so it was at least six feet long, by my crude estimates.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Varelse on 25 August, 2016, 22:47
Sounds like a hoax we did back in college - a guy had a 7 ft python with about 5 feet of skin but we left it where it was an obvious plant-in a classroom. Still scared some people.
Comment icon #12 Posted by some new guy on 31 August, 2016, 12:19
the snakeskin has been identified as an anaconda https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/08/30/snake-skin-found-maine-belongs-anaconda/qf9d3p1L6SZFNt3qS7tI2L/story.html BEST - Ron
Comment icon #13 Posted by DieChecker on 2 September, 2016, 12:18
I read about this. The skin was confirmed to be from an anaconda. The best guess so far is someone planted it there. However they (the local government) also said that experts say that if the snake is really there, it will die long before winter, as the weather dips down into the 60s and 50s, it will get sluggish and then die.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Silver_Lyre on 4 September, 2016, 5:27
...i wonder if any family pets have gone missing in the area.

Woman blames car crash on Bigfoot sighting
3-28-2017
An unidentified motorist ended up hitting a deer in her car after being distracted by a 'hairy beast'.
Apollo astronaut: 'ET has never visited us'
3-28-2017
Alan Bean, one of only 12 people to walk on the Moon, doesn't believe we have ever been visited by aliens.
'Maerdy Monster' is new species of millipede
3-28-2017
Scientists in the UK have discovered a previously unknown species of millipede at an old Welsh coal mine.
Australia's own 'Jurassic Park' discovered
3-27-2017
Scientists have identified a site containing thousands of footprints from 21 different dinosaur species.
Featured book

By Guy Lyon Playfair
A look at the story of Peggy Hodgson and her four children who, between 1977 and 1979, were at the center of one of the most terrifying poltergeist cases ever documented.
Mythical monsters
Posted 3-28-2017 | 1 comment
Jeremy Wade investigates the stories behind some of the world's best known monster myths.

6ft rockets in slow motion
Posted 3-27-2017 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys use their high-speed camera to record some rocket launches.

Most watched animal on YouTube
Posted 3-26-2017 | 2 comments
Maru the cat has accumulated more views than any other animal on the video sharing site.

ALMA's 100-ton antennas
Posted 3-25-2017 | 0 comments
A special vehicle is used to carry ALMA's ultra-heavy antennas in to place in the desert.

How do we find lost satellites ?
Posted 3-24-2017 | 0 comments
A look at the methods scientists use to locate spacecraft with which contact has been lost.

My nightly occurrences