Monday, May 29, 2017

Massive snakeskin supports 'Wessie' rumors

Posted on Wednesday, 24 August, 2016 | Comment icon 14 comments
A huge snakeskin measuring 12ft in length has been found near Riverbank Park in the US state of Maine.
Discovered by a member of the public at around 3pm on Saturday, the skin has since attracted the attention of local police officers who have been working to photograph and document it.

The find has been linked to reports of a particularly large snake nicknamed "Wessie" that has been sighted several times in the area. While it isn't clear whether the skin belongs to that particular snake, if it does then it would corroborate claims that the creature is over 12ft long.

"Westbrook Police Officers responded, photographed, collected, and tagged the skin which will be examined in attempts to determine what type of snake shed it and what risks this type of snake poses to public safety," the department wrote on its Facebook page.

According to cryptozoologist Bill Brock however the snakeskin discovery may be a bit suspect.

"That thing was laid out in a way that kind of suggests that someone just literally laid it there, and I’m pretty sure that’s how the snakeskin got there, but I do think Wessie is real, and I do think Wessie is out at the Riverbank Park somewhere," he said.

Whether officers will be able to get to the bottom of the mystery however remains to be seen.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (14)

Tags: Wessie, Snake, Maine

Comment icon #5 Posted by paperdyer on 24 August, 2016, 15:45
Regardless whether it's 10 ft or 12 ft, I want no part of it!
Comment icon #6 Posted by BeastieRunner on 24 August, 2016, 21:50
That's a big snake ... I hope they find it!
Comment icon #7 Posted by stereologist on 25 August, 2016, 0:00
I find snakes in my house every fall.  Sometimes it is the live snake. Sometimes it is just a snake skin. The snake skins can be any place imaginable.  I do not mind the snakes. They are temporary visitors that are trying to keep what would like to permanent visitors out of my house. I do find it interesting that the skin was fairly linear. Rat snakes and brown racers do not do that where I live. But we are not dealing with that species since the skin is much longer than what those snakes could grow to. I doubt the snake will be located. What we d know from the Everglades is that snake should ... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 25 August, 2016, 2:22
No snakes inside, but I make sure that if I find any on my property I treat them well and not disturb them--except to move them out of the yard so I don't hit them with the mower  They kill vermin, and as far as I'm concerned, they are welcome here as long for as long as I am here.
Comment icon #9 Posted by stereologist on 25 August, 2016, 12:50
I was thinking about the snake skin being laid out straight. I'll bet that was done to measure its length. A snake usually does some rubbing to remove the old skin.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 25 August, 2016, 15:14
I have seen a couple fairly straight ones around here, but mostly they're all bunched up. I've never seen a 10ft snakeskin....yikes.  I have seen at least 6ft of black snake slithering off into the grass near the barn....please note that I didn't see it's head so it was at least six feet long, by my crude estimates.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Varelse on 25 August, 2016, 22:47
Sounds like a hoax we did back in college - a guy had a 7 ft python with about 5 feet of skin but we left it where it was an obvious plant-in a classroom. Still scared some people.
Comment icon #12 Posted by some new guy on 31 August, 2016, 12:19
the snakeskin has been identified as an anaconda https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/08/30/snake-skin-found-maine-belongs-anaconda/qf9d3p1L6SZFNt3qS7tI2L/story.html BEST - Ron
Comment icon #13 Posted by DieChecker on 2 September, 2016, 12:18
I read about this. The skin was confirmed to be from an anaconda. The best guess so far is someone planted it there. However they (the local government) also said that experts say that if the snake is really there, it will die long before winter, as the weather dips down into the 60s and 50s, it will get sluggish and then die.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Silver_Lyre on 4 September, 2016, 5:27
...i wonder if any family pets have gone missing in the area.

NASA to launch probe that will 'touch the Sun'
5-28-2017
Known as Solar Probe Plus, the mission will be officially revealed in an announcement on Wednesday.
Mystery bang rocks Tauranga, New Zealand
5-28-2017
An extremely loud bang managed to wake up half the city when it shook houses at 3am on Sunday morning.
'Magic tree door' illusion baffles the Internet
5-27-2017
Stop-motion animator Kevin Parry has created a short video clip that seems to defy the laws of physics.
Work begins on world's largest telescope
5-27-2017
When it is completed, the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) will offer unprecedented views of the cosmos.
Thieving octopus
Posted 5-28-2017 | 0 comments
The Giant Pacific Octopus lies in wait so that it can steal crabs from local fishermen.

What color were dinosaurs ?
Posted 5-27-2017 | 6 comments
We can learn much about dinosaurs from fossils, but their color has long remained a mystery.

Ring around the Earth
Posted 5-26-2017 | 0 comments
What would happen if a solid, free-floating ring was placed in orbit around the Earth ?

World's heaviest weight
Posted 5-25-2017 | 0 comments
This incredible machine is capable of delivering a whopping 1,000,000 pounds of force.

Nine doughnuts in three minutes
Posted 5-24-2017 | 5 comments
'L.A. Beast' returns to break another record, this time by eating a huge pile of doughnuts.

Trade school terror
5-26-2017 | Cedro woolley, Wa.

Someone is on my bed