Friday, July 28, 2017

Are cats equally as intelligent as dogs ?

Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 | Comment icon 54 comments

Dogs may not be more intelligent than cats after all. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Scientists in Japan have shown that cats are just as good at memory tests as their canine counterparts.
The study, which involved 49 domestic cats, focused on episodic memory - the ability to recall the details of specific past events. Dogs were previously found to be able to recall the actions of their owners in a similar study conducted by scientists in Hungary last year.

During the experiment, the researchers found that cats also possessed this ability after they successfully recalled which bowl they had eaten out of after a fifteen-minute interval.

There was also evidence to suggest that cats, like dogs, can respond to human gestures, facial expressions and emotions.

"An interesting speculation is that they may enjoy actively recalling memories of their experience like humans," said psychologist Saho Takagi from Kyoto University.

"Episodic memory is viewed as being related to introspective function of the mind. Our study may imply a type of consciousness in cats."

"Understanding cats more deeply helps to establish better cat-human relationships."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (54)

Tags: Cats, Dogs

Comment icon #45 Posted by LV-426 on 7 February, 2017, 22:23
I have to admit, I'm biased towards dogs, but I do think they are deservedly known as "man's best friend" for good reason. I don't know if this is Geo-blocked outside the U.K., but it's well worth a watch; amazing facts and heart-warming stories: Secret Life of Dogs - Series 2 - Episode 1 YouTube teaser for Season 1:
Comment icon #46 Posted by Farmer77 on 7 February, 2017, 22:30
Cant do it man. Animal shows and movies make me cry like a baby. If you knew the things ive done that would be really freaking hilarious. But yeah cant do it
Comment icon #47 Posted by LV-426 on 7 February, 2017, 22:36
I hear ya! There's a section with a disabled little girl being helped to walk by her much loved pal, and even I had to pretend I had something in my eye
Comment icon #48 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:27
This is one of those joke threads , right ?
Comment icon #49 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:30
Here is another joke ; " News Flash ! Cat saves family from burning house ! " (Its one of our dog jokes )
Comment icon #50 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:49
Together , Human, Dog and Cattle enabled development, hunting, gathering, settlement, agriculture .... civilisation ! Dogis companion of mankind , the earliest ures tell us ,that Dog accompanies one of the six 'Divine Sparks' - 'Vohu Manah ' ( Good Purpose , God Mind, Good Thought ) on which friendships and good society depends Now .... if any cats would care to debate archaeotheology with me , I would be more than happy ~ Be wared though .... I have notes and references .... lots of 'em !
Comment icon #51 Posted by Stiff on 8 February, 2017, 11:45
Which reminds me of the three legged pig joke
Comment icon #52 Posted by MWoo7 on 11 February, 2017, 3:11
aah hense your logo/persona/avatar back to earth .... GLAD! you're into history etc. Oh, I think someone cleaned it up, thought he had a shotgun too! oh wellz.
Comment icon #53 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 February, 2017, 4:50
I love dogs. Don't get me wrong, but dogs are loyal. That means they haven't figured us out yet.
Comment icon #54 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 February, 2017, 4:57
The fact that a cat isn't willing to do those things for you indicates their higher intelligence level.

First extrasolar moon potentially discovered
7-28-2017
Astronomers believe that they may have found, for the first time, a moon orbiting an extrasolar planet.
Conjoined bat twins discovered in rainforest
7-28-2017
The extremely rare find is one of only a few examples of conjoined twins ever seen outside of humans.
California residents report 'Chupacabra'
7-27-2017
Alleged sightings of the cryptozoological creature have sparked concerns over the safety of local pets.
Our atoms came from far across the universe
7-27-2017
A new study has revealed that half of the atoms that make up our bodies have come from beyond the galaxy.
Hyperloop test
Posted 7-28-2017 | 1 comment
A look at the first successful test ride of the Hyperloop - a futuristic transportation system.

Octopus goes for a walk
Posted 7-27-2017 | 4 comments
As this video shows, not all octopus' limit their exploration to the bottom of the sea.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI