Thursday, July 27, 2017

Food tastes better when you eat at a mirror

Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2017 | Comment icon 21 comments

Can your reflection help you eat ? Image Credit: CC BY 4.0 OpenStax Anatomy and Physiology
A new study has suggested that food might actually taste better when you can see your own reflection.
The peculiar claim comes courtesy of researchers at Nagoya University in Japan who wanted to further explore a phenomenon known as "the social facilitation of eating" which concerns the previous discovery that people enjoy food more when they eat in the company of others.

For their experiment, the scientists decided to see if eating in front of a mirror could fool the brain in to believing that another person was present, thus improving the taste of the food.

"We wanted to find out what the minimum requirement is for the social facilitation of eating," said study lead author Dr Ryuzaburo Nakata. "Does another person have to actually be physically present, or is information suggesting the presence of others sufficient ?"

The results of the experiment, which involved 16 volunteers, indicated that sitting in front of a mirror actually did improve the taste of the food by as much as 25%.

The team believes that the findings could help lonely older people eat larger helpings.

"Studies have shown that for older adults, enjoying food is associated with quality of life, and frequently eating alone is associated with depression and loss of appetite," wrote Dr Nakata.

"Our findings therefore suggest a possible approach to improving the appeal of food, and quality of life, for older people who do not have company when they eat for example, those who have suffered loss or are far away from their loved ones."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (21)

Tags: Food, Taste

Comment icon #12 Posted by paperdyer on 16 June, 2017, 15:37
Study paid for by the Mirror Consortium of Japan
Comment icon #13 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 15:47
Another odd thing people do is they take pictures of their food and post it, never got that one. 9 times of 10 I don`t even know what there eating.
Comment icon #14 Posted by glorybebe on 16 June, 2017, 16:01
The only time I take pictures of food is when I make it and want to show a friend.
Comment icon #15 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:03
Oh crap I`m guilty, i just realized I did that once.
Comment icon #16 Posted by glorybebe on 16 June, 2017, 16:07
I did it to show my friend my pizza and how great it turned out
Comment icon #17 Posted by OverSword on 16 June, 2017, 16:07
Actually studies have shown that different lighting, sounds, room temperature, deive words, and many other factors all influence the way food tastes. See post #2, just listened to an interview with the author of the book and it was much more interesting than you may think.
Comment icon #18 Posted by OverSword on 16 June, 2017, 16:13
That looks like a good pork chop man!
Comment icon #19 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:18
I was mad at myself because I only brought 2 and I was out there for 3 days lol I like camping alone nobody can whine about my cooking.
Comment icon #20 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:19
Now I want pizza dang you
Comment icon #21 Posted by Kiltedmusician on 16 June, 2017, 19:58
I could easily see this helping some people to eat less too, as they see themselves in the mirror. Lol

3,500-year-old lunch box found in Swiss Alps
7-26-2017
An extraordinarily well-preserved lunch box has been discovered on Switzerland's Lotschberg mountain.
1962 'thing in the woods' was CIA spy camera
7-26-2017
A mystery spanning over 55 years has finally been solved thanks to newly released CIA documents.
Giant black swan once roamed New Zealand
7-26-2017
Scientists have found evidence of a huge, hulking semi-flightless swan that went extinct 500 years ago.
Time is key to happiness, new study claims
7-25-2017
According to researchers, stressing out over a lack of time is a leading cause of anxiety and depression.
Augmented reality
Posted 7-26-2017 | 1 comment
A look at a new technology that superimposes computer-generated images over the real world.

Redefining the kilogram
Posted 7-24-2017 | 0 comments

Stretchy batteries
Posted 7-23-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists have come up with a way to make batteries and their cases stretchy.

Counting to one billion
Posted 7-22-2017 | 1 comment

Dolphins beach themselves to catch fish
Posted 7-21-2017 | 0 comments

My real, true experiences
7-26-2017 | New Zealand

Incoming call
7-26-2017 | B.T. Collins Park: Folsom, CA

Three knocks woke me up twice
7-26-2017 | Virginia

Spider signs
7-21-2017 | Michigan

My ancestry is calling me
7-21-2017 | Morgan Hill, Ca

I can hear someone
6-27-2017 | Maryland

My dead father spoke to me
6-27-2017 | Alabama

Is my child predicting our death ?
6-27-2017 | Lincoln Park, MI