Sunday, September 24, 2017

Food tastes better when you eat at a mirror

Posted on Thursday, 15 June, 2017 | Comment icon 21 comments

Can your reflection help you eat ? Image Credit: CC BY 4.0 OpenStax Anatomy and Physiology
A new study has suggested that food might actually taste better when you can see your own reflection.
The peculiar claim comes courtesy of researchers at Nagoya University in Japan who wanted to further explore a phenomenon known as "the social facilitation of eating" which concerns the previous discovery that people enjoy food more when they eat in the company of others.

For their experiment, the scientists decided to see if eating in front of a mirror could fool the brain in to believing that another person was present, thus improving the taste of the food.

"We wanted to find out what the minimum requirement is for the social facilitation of eating," said study lead author Dr Ryuzaburo Nakata. "Does another person have to actually be physically present, or is information suggesting the presence of others sufficient ?"

The results of the experiment, which involved 16 volunteers, indicated that sitting in front of a mirror actually did improve the taste of the food by as much as 25%.

The team believes that the findings could help lonely older people eat larger helpings.

"Studies have shown that for older adults, enjoying food is associated with quality of life, and frequently eating alone is associated with depression and loss of appetite," wrote Dr Nakata.

"Our findings therefore suggest a possible approach to improving the appeal of food, and quality of life, for older people who do not have company when they eat for example, those who have suffered loss or are far away from their loved ones."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (21)

Tags: Food, Taste

Comment icon #12 Posted by paperdyer on 16 June, 2017, 15:37
Study paid for by the Mirror Consortium of Japan
Comment icon #13 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 15:47
Another odd thing people do is they take pictures of their food and post it, never got that one. 9 times of 10 I don`t even know what there eating.
Comment icon #14 Posted by glorybebe on 16 June, 2017, 16:01
The only time I take pictures of food is when I make it and want to show a friend.
Comment icon #15 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:03
Oh crap I`m guilty, i just realized I did that once.
Comment icon #16 Posted by glorybebe on 16 June, 2017, 16:07
I did it to show my friend my pizza and how great it turned out
Comment icon #17 Posted by OverSword on 16 June, 2017, 16:07
Actually studies have shown that different lighting, sounds, room temperature, deive words, and many other factors all influence the way food tastes. See post #2, just listened to an interview with the author of the book and it was much more interesting than you may think.
Comment icon #18 Posted by OverSword on 16 June, 2017, 16:13
That looks like a good pork chop man!
Comment icon #19 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:18
I was mad at myself because I only brought 2 and I was out there for 3 days lol I like camping alone nobody can whine about my cooking.
Comment icon #20 Posted by The Silver Thong on 16 June, 2017, 16:19
Now I want pizza dang you
Comment icon #21 Posted by Kiltedmusician on 16 June, 2017, 19:58
I could easily see this helping some people to eat less too, as they see themselves in the mirror. Lol

Saudi Arabian textbook shows Yoda at the UN
9-23-2017
A doctored image of Yoda at the United Nations has somehow ended up in a history textbook.
Juno captures stunning new images of Jupiter
9-23-2017
NASA's Juno probe has sent back four breathtaking new images of the gas giant's swirling atmosphere.
100 people could live on the Moon by 2040
9-22-2017
ESA's ambitious 'Moon village' plan could see humans living on the lunar surface within 25 years.
Man who prevented World War 3 dies aged 77
9-22-2017
Former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov made a decision in 1983 that may have saved the world.
Will robots take over all our jobs ?
Posted 9-23-2017 | 1 comment
As computers become increasingly sophisticated, will there be any jobs left for us ?

Exploring Antarctica's hidden depths
Posted 9-22-2017 | 0 comments
Scientists investigate some of the wildlife hidden beneath the Antarctic ice.

Science-fiction spacesuits
Posted 9-21-2017 | 0 comments
Adam Savage investigates a number of intricately detailed spacesuits used in movies.

Extreme neodymium magnet
Posted 9-20-2017 | 0 comments
Unboxing a magnet so powerful that it can suspend huge weights off the underside of a table.

Derren Brown and new age crystals
Posted 9-19-2017 | 0 comments
The psychological illusionist is joined by actor Martin Freeman for this remarkable trick.

Guardian angel ?
9-13-2017 | Middle of nowhere Iowa

I'm not normal, but I'm not alone
9-13-2017 | South Africa

When I was very little
9-13-2017 | Sturgis So.Dakota

Weird light orbs and chills
9-13-2017 | Poland

Unexplained light flashes
8-30-2017 | Louisiana

A night that I will never forget
8-18-2017 | Massena, NY