Saturday, September 22, 2018

Loch Ness Monster photo revealed as a hoax

Posted on Saturday, 12 October, 2013 | Comment icon 29 comments

Many photographs of the monster have turned out to be hoaxes. Image Credit: CC 2.0 Dave Conner
One of the most convincing photographs in years has turned out to be the product of an elaborate hoax.
The Loch Ness Monster has something of a poor track record when it comes to photographs. Many of the most famous pictures showing an alleged creature in the waters of Scotland's deepest lake have been exposed over the years as nothing but fakes and forgeries.

This trend seemed set to change when photographs of a mysterious hump protruding from the water were taken last year by cruise operator George Edwards. The photographs attracted worldwide attention and were described by long-time Nessie hunter Steve Feltham as the best photographs he'd ever seen.

Disappointment was soon to follow once again however as it was revealed that the images showed nothing more than a carbon fiber prop that was used in a National Geographic documentary from 2011 called "The Truth Behind the Loch Ness Monster."

Edwards, who was involved in the film's production, maintains that the deception was "just a bit of fun". "These so-called experts come along with their theories about big waves and big fish, and their visitor centre, but I'm sick to death of them," he said.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (29)

Tags: Loch Ness, Monster, Scotland

Comment icon #20 Posted by highdesert50 on 14 October, 2013, 10:52
I believe Sir Doyle said it properly ... There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. And, I would assume that Mr Edwards, who operates a cruise boat on the loch, will now cater to budding comedians.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Myles on 14 October, 2013, 14:10
its time hoaxers were given a big fine for the expense they cause many people I disagree. Of course it depends on the degree of the hoax. Without hoaxes, I dare say that this section of the forum would not exist. No harm done. Gave the news something to fill time.
Comment icon #22 Posted by freetoroam on 14 October, 2013, 14:35
I can not express my disapointment at finding out it was a fake, i was so taken in by it. Not to worry, i still have all those virgin mary and bigfoot photos to keep me intereste ZZZzzzzz.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Still Waters on 14 October, 2013, 15:06
In general I'd agree with you... but I have to ask myself if this guy profited from his deception... I reckon he could do quite well from this. He's made himself a bit of a celebrity now and no doubt tourists will be only too willing to take a trip on Loch Ness in his boat. Even if it's just to take a few photos of themselves with him to take home as a keepsake.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Lava_Lady on 14 October, 2013, 21:39
He seems like a colossal narcissistic, arrogant ass... regardless of perpetrating this particular hoax or not. Having actually perpetrated it just confirms it.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Slave2Fate on 16 October, 2013, 7:07
Never mind, I mistook the 'reveal' photo for the original...
Comment icon #26 Posted by BettyTheYeti on 16 October, 2013, 8:54
Comment icon #27 Posted by Junior Chubb on 16 October, 2013, 9:05
The original story annoyed me, this one just gave me the hump.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Rlyeh on 17 October, 2013, 6:02
And the damage they cause to the credibility of real witnesses.... A "real witness" is just someone who hasn't admitted to hoaxing.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Rlyeh on 17 October, 2013, 6:03
I think that he did in fact see the real monster, but when he realised his fifteen minutes of fame were up he built this fake to try and get back in the spot light for just a moment longer. But obviously it was a dragon that he saw.

'The Crown' star contacted character's ghost
9-22-2018
Helena Bonham Carter hired a psychic to contact the late Princess Margaret for advice on her latest TV role.
Dickinsonia is world's oldest known animal
9-21-2018
A new study has cast further light on a mystery fossil that scientists say is as 'strange as life on another planet'.
Mammoths could roam 'Ice Age Park' by 2028
9-21-2018
Scientists in Russia remain optimistic that the woolly mammoth can be resurrected within a decade.
Mars trip radiation exposure levels revealed
9-20-2018
Scientists have calculated the minimum level of radiation that an astronaut will be exposed to on a trip to Mars.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

Swimming with lemon sharks
Posted 8-28-2018 | 1 comment
Steve Backshall gets up close to a group of deadly lemon sharks.

Cousins explained
Posted 8-24-2018 | 4 comments
Exactly what is a third cousin twice removed ? Michael unravels the mystery.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas